raff

Where Were You?

11/22/63 - Sophomore in high school - I was inthe school lobrary during the 2nd period after lunch. The Superintendent made an announcement on the PA and we were all sent home, where we sat in front of the b&w tv for four days and watched Uncle Walter keep us informed.

1/28/86 - at work at Air University, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Al. Didn't do anything special as it was "just another launch". One of my cow-orkers had brought in a little portable and was watching. He said "The shuttle just blew up." I said, "Kevin, quit kidding around". He wasn't kidding.

9/11 - Having been downsized by CA, I was in job search mode, but was still at home that morning. I turned on the TV in the RV we were living in to watch something and because we had DISH in the RV, I got the NY feeds for the networks, and thought there was just a local breaking news story, then watched the second plane hit. I called Lynn at work and she said they had heard and the commissary was closing and she would be home shortly.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

11/22/63

A little over one year. My parents told me they went to the funeral with me in their arms.

1/28/86

Hunt Valley MD, watched it live on a demo set in Sears.

9/11/01

Univeristy of MD, College Park. Missed getting deployed to the Pentgon by abt 20 mins. ( I was in Baltimore County Fire Dept. then.) Seems like yesterday.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

raff

Most of the people on this group were not alive 50 years ago today. A few will never forget that day. It is always sobering to realize that things which must vomited back on an a US History exam for some, are, for others, as real as what they had for breakfast.

For me, the three non-personal dates which are most burned into my memory are 11/22/63, 1/28/86, and, of course 9/11. Most on this group remember only the latter, just as surely as said date will be the answer on a test one day for their children.

The inexorable passage of time is a weird thing.

18 years away,

school in Florida watching the launch,

and sleeping, respectively.
cavete terrae.

1963 - I wasn't born yet. My father was at Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario, which is ...
1986 ... where I was. I remember coming into the 1 squadron bldg (Stone Frigate) after lunch and before afternoon classes, and being invited downstairs to the lounge - highly unusual for First Years - and seeing the replay over and over. Didn't have much time to dwell - had to get to class.
9/11/2001 - I was still in bed since I had been up late working the night before. Steph worked at SFO at the time, which like every other airport in the US was in the process of implementing SCATANA. She called and said to turn on the TV. When I drove into work, the South Bay freeways were practically empty.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

LuckyMcSwervy

01/28/86 - I was a senior in high school. All 3 of us kids were home sick with the flu that day. We were in the family room laying around watching television when it came on the news. I remember I went to my room to watch the news and cried in there so my brothers wouldn't see me and bust my balls. My Dad was working the desk at the police station and kept calling home to check on us. I remember he was upset as well.

So we both were in the Class of '86? Class of '86 rocks! B|

Side note on the '86 shuttle disaster - my dad worked for Thiokol Corp in their small motor division in Huntsville developing rocket fuel for missiles for the military, but he often had to go to Thiokol's Utah plant on company trips. He had one shortly after the shuttle disaster. While driving the rental car down the entrance road, he saw that somebody had spray-painted "MURDERERS" on an overhead sign. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

LuckyMcSwervy

Yup!

"I'll get the beer, you get the fix, 'cause we're the Class of 86! PARTYYYY!!!"

Scrawled on a bathroom stall wall at my Catholic high school freshman year. :D

Good times... good times.... except that one day, of course.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

63' was in kindergarten they called us all to the gym for and assembly to tell us what happened and then sent us home early

86' working at a sign shop in Orlando. We would all walk outside to watch the launch. When we saw the smoke trail split we knew something was wrong. Went back into the shop and turned on the radio to find out what happened.

01' heard it on the radio in my truck on the way to see a vendor. Ended up watching the second plane hit in their conference room on tv
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

BillyVance

Yup!

Hell, Yeah!! Count me in, too!.. Let's PAAARRTTTYYY!:)68.:P (Time for my nap anyway.:S)

muff528

Yup!

Hell, Yeah!! Count me in, too!.. Let's PAAARRTTTYYY!:)68.:P (Time for my nap anyway.:S)

:D:D Year I was born.
Always be kinder than you feel.

63'- Before my time

86'- In high school, but home sick

01'- Driving RJ's for the regionals, it was my leg from Columbus, OH to LaGuardia. The rampers were chocking our nose gear as the first plane hit, so I was flying up the Hudson at the same time those sons-of-bitches were following it south.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

fastphil

I was at school, third grade, and we were released early. I most definitely remember my Mom (a devout Catholic) being very upset, which imprinted in me the seriousness of the event. Those were also the days of the Cuban Missile drills, where we would curl up in the brick hallways as if to to kiss our tails goodbye. Good ole' days...

So remarkably like your story Phil, third grade in Catholic school. I remember those hallway air raid drills too in second grade. What disturbed me the most as an 8 year old boy was how upset all the adults looked. Many of the women were crying, the men were choked up and red around the eyes.

Jan. 1986 I'd just got into work (on the west coast) when there was a big uproar for whoever had a radio to turn it on because the Challenger had just exploded. I also remember Saturday morning, 2/1/2003, waking up to Scott Simon on NPR saying that NASA had lost touch with Columbia for over twenty minutes and that reports of debris falling from the sky were coming in from all over Texas.

Finally, on 9/11/01, I was on an upstairs balcony overlooking the factory floor at the Boeing plant in Everett, WA. I was directly overhead of the 777 assembly line and could see over into the next bay where the 767 line was. I simply couldn't believe anyone would fly one of these beautiful machines, filled with people, into a building full of people. Boeing workers take the loss of any plane very personally. I saw a lot of grown men & women cry. Some locked up their tools and went home

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

November 22nd, 1963
I was a couple months into the 8th grade, in a one-room school in a tiny town in fly-over country. One room, eight grades, one teacher, twenty-some students. The mother of one of my classmates came to the school and said that Kennedy had been shot. I can't recall whether we were dismissed early, but I do remember going home and watching the news coverage on TV.

January 28, 1986
I had a job doing application programming, and heard about the disaster. I lived a few blocks from work, and decided to go home and see what TV was reporting. One of the things that sticks in my mind from the TV coverage was an elderly scientist type rambling on about how the white clouds that resulted from the explosion were snow clouds. I remember thinking that he was a doofus.

September 11, 2001
I was on my way to the airport, and heard on the radio that an airplane had flown into the World Trade Center. I initially thought about the WWII accident when a B-25 flew into the Empire State Building, but when I got to the airport the news was reporting that a second airliner had impacted. I had planned to conduct a flight lesson, then make a flight to visit my dad in the hospital, a hundred miles away by air. That day was his 91st birthday, and he was awaiting surgery for a broken hip. All flights were grounded, so I drove there to see him. He died about three weeks later.