NewGuy2005

Anyone have experience with WWOOF Deutschland?

This may be a long shot, but it can't hurt to ask. Here's what it is:

WWOOF…
is a registered charity that holds a list of organic farms, gardens and smallholdings, all offering food and accommodation in exchange for practical help on their land.

One of my daughters is considering doing this this summer in order to get some work experience and become more proficient speaking German.

Anyone know anything about it?

This started up during the war in Europe. Farmers were off fighting and other people would work the farm.
My uncle would get help on his farm in Switzerland through a program like this almost every year. My brother runs the farm now and he gets a couple of people every summer.
In German it was called " land dienst" ( which I may have spelled incorrectly). They did this long after the war too...I assume so farmers could get help and people got work experience.

I have experience with WWOOF Italia…. I went last year and it was a good experience. I would recommend that she get as much information as she can about the family/people she'll be staying with. I would also be clear about expectations and see what they're looking for too. The two families I stayed with were very hospitable and welcoming. I'd just come from a farm in Germany (not through WWOOF) so to transition from Germans to Italians was quite a little shock to me! :D Germany is beautiful and I'm sure she'd have a good time should she go!

Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.
-Raymond Lindquist

It would depend on if she was responsible and has good judgement. She'll be in a foreign country experiencing new things and situations so she needs a good head on her shoulders.

Once you pay the organization fee, you'll have access to a list of the farms giving you information about what type of farm it is and what kind of help they're looking for. It'll also have contact information where you can connect with them and ask the questions. Generally, someone there will speak enough English to get by but some places might be a bit more harder to communicate with. Depending on her German level, that might not be too big of an issue.

I'm on the side of "better safe than sorry" so I totally understand. Like I said, it's best to get as much information before as possible and you still never know so that's why she'll need good judgement! I was 25 before I traveled internationally by myself so I was a bit more "mature." I think I would've been just as fine as a 19 year old so if you think she's ready, then let her go "Dad!" ;)

Hope this helps!

Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.
-Raymond Lindquist

The farms that participate in this do it year after year.
On my brothers farm they've been getting help for 50+ years.
All the other farms in the area get help too. Very tight knit communities, they all know each other and help each other and lend each other equipment in my experience.
I don't blame you for being careful but I don't think you have anything to worry about.
She might be living in a room with no electricity and going 1 and 2 in a little stone out house but hell, that just adds to the story!

swisschris62

I don't blame you for being careful but I don't think you have anything to worry about.
She might be living in a room with no electricity and going 1 and 2 in a little stone out house but hell, that just adds to the story!

A change like that, albeit temporary, would do her good.

My brothers farm is right on the German border in a very small town called tagerwilen. It is on Lake Constance.
I think it would be an awesome experience for her.
I know the people that have stayed on my brothers farm are treated just like family. They all eat together, on Sundays they go down to the lake and swim, he takes them to Konstanz to see things...
There's no doubt they work hard, but everyone works hard. It's a group/family effort.
I would love to hear how it goes.