LuckyMcSwervy

Funny/Weird Things Your Parents Have Done For You?

labrys

My dad insisted that I "pay my own way" in our house from the first time I got a job. He took 15% of my wages telling me that if I was working, I had to contribute...

Seemed so weird to me. I was 14. It was his *job* to support me... it wasn't fair...

But 3 years later when I moved out, he gave it all back to me with a smile and a nod about how easy it was to save a little for special days.

I keep screwing that lesson up, but that doesn't take anything away from how cool that day was.

Your dad sounds like a smart man. Makes it even cooler that he knew all along what he was doing and teaching you a fiscal life lesson along the way! B|
Always be kinder than you feel.

Muffie

Sounds like your dad was a great guy! Mine passed away close to twenty years ago and I still miss him, especially around the anniversary of his death.

I can't think of any great stories like yours, although he did tell me when I turned 18 that if I ended up in jail he wasn't bailing me out until morning. (I'm sure if it had actually happened he would've been there as soon as he could.)

I can't imagine 20 years out.... wow. I hope it gets easier with the passing of time. I wonder how many of us kept on the straight and narrow because of a statement like your dad gave? And I don't know of anyone who had a dad let them sit until morning... ;):)

Hi Keith,

My biological father left when I was 3ish.

Sounds like we had a similar upbringing.

Except my mom gave him the boot due to his excessive drinking. We would see him every 4-5 yrs when he would blow into town with a wad of cash and his latest wife.

When I use the term 'my father' that means my biological father. When I use the term 'my dad' that means my step-dad; the guy who kept a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs and food on the table. Like yours, he was a hard-working blue-collar type of guy.

JerryBaumchen

My parents are visiting me this week; I'm very fortunate that they're both still able to travel and still enjoy it. B|

Both of my 'rents are pretty great and always did the absolute best they could. So of course, not perfect, but there was always a lot of love. My dad coached a lot of my sports teams growing up, and it's only now that I realize how hard he had to work to make that happen with work schedules and all that. He was even coaching my teams while working full time and going to school at night. At least one parent (usually both) made it to almost every sports game, band concert, etc. as we were growing up.

I also appreciate how our relationship transformed as my brother and I moved from childhood to adulthood. There's still love and support but they raised us to be productive independent adults, and they've absolutely honored that independence, not hovering or meddling or anything like that.

As for funny/weird stuff, one springs to mind. My last year of college was the first time I was of legal age for beach week at the end of the year. We used to go the week between the end of exams and graduation. Not that I'd had any trouble drinking in the previous years, but I was excited to finally be 21!

Unfortunately, sometime in the weeks before beach week, I'd gone home to my parents' house (probably starting to move stuff back home) and left a jacket at home with my ID in my pocket. I didn't have time to make the two hour drive back home with exams and all, and for some reason (might have been that it was a weekend, might have been that it took a few weeks to get a replacement in those days) I couldn't get a replacement. My dad actually made the round trip drive JUST to bring me my ID! Definitely above and beyond (and I'm guessing he had to override my mother on that one because mom would have had more of a "let her suck it up" attitude :D:D).

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It has been a little over 4 years since my Dad passed. I think about him every day. He was a long time jump pilot and the reason I started jumping. I decided that I wanted to make 19 jumps on my 19th birthday and Dad was more than happy to oblidge. We took the door , right seat, and copilot yoke out of his pristine Cessna 180 and commensted to jumping. On the first jump run I noticed that I could see my Mom's face standing beside the peas when I exited. I didn't wear an altimeter for the hop and pops because it was just another peice of equipment to keep track of. After 18 hop and pops I was going to do a 3 way with my support people who packed for me and lent me rigs to jump. Georgie, Randy and I climbed into Dad's plane and started the long climb to 7200ft for a quick 3 way to finish the day. We were jumping at Maytown which is about 500ft above sea level. Dad turned on jump run but my altimeter was only reading a little over 6500ft. I pointed this out to Dad and he made another go around and got us out at 7,500ft. We did a quick 3 way and broke off and pulled by 2000ft, it was jump number 67 for me. While decending for my 19th time that day I realized that good old Dad the 'penny pincher' left me out on 18 jumps at 1700ft AGL.No wonder I hit the peas on almost every jump with rounds. I could have hit them with a lawn dart. Dad was a penny pincher, but how many kids got to make 19 jumps on ther 19th birthday. I have hundreds of stories about my Dad and all the cool things he did for me. I wish I would have let him know how great he was before he died.

swisschris62

Someday I need to get all my old photographs put on the computer. I've got like 3 shoeboxes full. Any suggestions on an easy way to do this so I don't have to do them all one at a time?

I've done that, using the scanner on my computer printer. It's pretty slow. I can fit about four photos at a time on the scanner glass, which takes several minutes to scan. Then I digitally separate them using photo software into individual photos. It was an ongoing process for me for months. I'd do a few dozens whenever I had spare time to work on it. But after sticking with it for a while, I ended up with a very nice digital collection. Organized chronologically, named for who and where they represent. Turned it into a slide show and sent copies to my kids. Now everyone in the family has a copy of all the family photos, all wrapped up in a nice family history presentation.

I've got a ton of "Mom" stories. I really should write them all down! She's been gone 3 and a half years and like you, she is more on my mind this time of year. Holidays are hard.

Take care of yourself this Thanksgiving and hold those good memories close to your heart!

I had an aquarium when I was in Jr. High. If my mom walked past and saw a "floater" while I was at school, she would scoop it out, put it in a bag and drive to the nearest pet store to replace it, trying to find one that looked just like it! I never knew until years later. She didn't always do such a great job "matching" the dead fish, but it never occurred to me that she was replacing them so I just thought they were mutating! :$

I've got tears rolling down my cheeks as I write this...

I just received a belated birthday present from my mom... Our relationship has been very strained over the past couple of years, and we have barely spoken in the last year...

So this summer, she was at a used book sale and she saw the third volume of a book she and I both loved... She didn't know about the 3rd book and assumed I might not have read it either (I have, but who cares). I open the book and there is a post-it explaining this and that she bought it thinking of me... There is also a long note telling me how much she misses me... And in the middle of the book, I found a CD... Get this: she recorded herself reading the entire first chapter...

Such memories of her reading to me as a child... (Actually, usually it was me reading to her, and it was a rare treat when it was the other way around.)

A lot of effort (and love) went into that tiny little parcel...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nataly

I just received a belated birthday present from my mom... Our relationship has been very strained over the past couple of years, and we have barely spoken in the last year...

So this summer, she was at a used book sale and she saw the third volume of a book she and I both loved... She didn't know about the 3rd book and assumed I might not have read it either (I have, but who cares). I open the book and there is a post-it explaining this and that she bought it thinking of me... There is also a long note telling me how much she misses me... And in the middle of the book, I found a CD... Get this: she recorded herself reading the entire first chapter...

Such memories of her reading to me as a child... (Actually, usually it was me reading to her, and it was a rare treat when it was the other way around.)

Then maybe that is an answer to your quandary. You should transfer to somewhere near her.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Nataly

That gave me the chills reading this post. That is so awesome. B|

JerryBaumchen

Hi Keith,

Except my mom gave him the boot due to his excessive drinking. We would see him every 4-5 yrs when he would blow into town with a wad of cash and his latest wife.

When I use the term 'my father' that means my biological father. When I use the term 'my dad' that means my step-dad; the guy who kept a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs and food on the table. Like yours, he was a hard-working blue-collar type of guy.

JerryBaumchen

More important, he was the guy that loved your Mom. :)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

mjosparky

***Hi Keith,

JerryBaumchen

More important, he was the guy that loved your Mom. :)
Sparky

Oh my gosh, did you just see the same Kay jewelers commercial that I saw while I was reading this? True story, but Sparky made a most excellent point!
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

turtlespeed

Then maybe that is an answer to your quandary. You should transfer to somewhere near her.

Have you two been talking??? My mom's default answer to every imaginable problem I might or have had is "move back home" (to Canada)...!! :D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Nataly

***Then maybe that is an answer to your quandary. You should transfer to somewhere near her.

Have you two been talking??? My mom's default answer to every imaginable problem I might or have had is "move back home" (to Canada)...!! :D

You'd be closer and we could go out for drinks. B|

LuckyMcSwervy

******Then maybe that is an answer to your quandary. You should transfer to somewhere near her.

Nat plays a mean bagpipe too... Those Maritimers.... ;)
Remster

Remster

*********Then maybe that is an answer to your quandary. You should transfer to somewhere near her.

Now that you bring this up, :P, I get the "play" thing but I can't place where the bagpipes thing comes in. I've been meaning to ask...

Remster

No no no... I am a flautist and a pianist (and *almost* a guitarist), but not a bag-pipe player (what are those called, anyway?!)!!

:P
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Well I'm only 21 so I don't have that many stories, but I guess the best thing my parents did for me was support me financially. They have always been very conservative when it comes to money..they have a lot of money, but they never buy or do anything "cool", as I would say. But I guess their way of life when it comes to saving rubbed off on me in my earlier years because at 19 I bought a $20k car by myself. They payed for my community college, and recently lent me all the money for my skydiving rig, which I'm paying back now..slowly. Also my dad is a cop, so not that I speed a lot, but I have never gotten a ticket because of that.

Mach1dmb

Well I'm only 21 so I don't have that many stories, but I guess the best thing my parents did for me was support me financially. They have always been very conservative when it comes to money..they have a lot of money, but they never buy or do anything "cool", as I would say. But I guess their way of life when it comes to saving rubbed off on me in my earlier years because at 19 I bought a $20k car by myself. They payed for my community college, and recently lent me all the money for my skydiving rig, which I'm paying back now..slowly. Also my dad is a cop, so not that I speed a lot, but I have never gotten a ticket because of that.

Mine was too. B| I never got a ticket because of that, or my exH being a cop too, or because everyone knew me from working in the court. :)

I knew I wouldn't get in trouble but I remember running across a fairway at the country club where we were partying when I was a teenager. I tripped on a sprinkler when the cop was yelling at us to stop running. He caught up to us and said to me something along the lines of, You're XXXXX's daughter. Why did you guys run when you know you're not getting into trouble?" :):):) I still have a little scar on my shin from that fkn sprinkler. :ph34r: