Squeak

Florida Toll roads

Some of our Toll roads here are "E" toll only.
Ill be driving a lot in the States in 2 weeks, are any of the toll roads "E" only or are they all cash as well?

If "E Tag" only how do rental cars cope?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Many (probably most) car rental companies will also rent you a toll pass; it generally only applies to whatever state you rent the car in, and it's about $3/day (which for a long rental is probably not great).

You can just avoid most of them -- there are reasonably good free alternatives to tolls in most of the country. If you stick to the US highways (white shield with a number, rather than red-white-blue), they're rarely toll roads.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Many (probably most) car rental companies will also rent you a toll pass; it generally only applies to whatever state you rent the car in, and it's about $3/day (which for a long rental is probably not great).

You can just avoid most of them -- there are reasonably good free alternatives to tolls in most of the country. If you stick to the US highways (white shield with a number, rather than red-white-blue), they're rarely toll roads.

Wendy P.

Florida Turnpike and I95 are my main ones staying off the them would significantly increase the driving time I think. (already near 5 hrs)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Most car rental companies will just tack the cost of running the toll to your bill. It will show up later on your credit card. It may cost some sort of penalty, though, but it might be worth it for the few times where paying cash is not available.

It would be worth finding out what your rental company's policy is.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Iago

******Many (probably most) car rental companies will also rent you a toll pass; it generally only applies to whatever state you rent the car in, and it's about $3/day (which for a long rental is probably not great).

Wendy P.

Florida Turnpike and I95 are my main ones staying off the them would significantly increase the driving time I think. (already near 5 hrs)

I believe the FL toll roads still have a cash option.

FL is a heavy tourist state so going Etoll only wouldn't be good.

I've been down there a lot lately and ended up getting SunPass for FL in addition to the EZPass I've had for years.

Is it permissible to maybe get the SunPass and then when you're done in FL give it to someone else, changing the registration information to whomever you give it to? Or just keep it for our next trip?

There's a SunPass app so it's easy to manage/replenish on the go...
Always be kinder than you feel.

Iago

******Many (probably most) car rental companies will also rent you a toll pass; it generally only applies to whatever state you rent the car in, and it's about $3/day (which for a long rental is probably not great).

Wendy P.

I believe the FL toll roads still have a cash option.

FL is a heavy tourist state so going Etoll only wouldn't be good.

I know the Miami end of the FL Turnpike there was a cash lane (SunPass lanes were blocked with an accident). The toll collector told me I had to give her cash because my SunPass wouldn't work in the cash lane. My EZPass works in both electronic and cash lanes.

You can use cash/coins on the turnpike. Just stop at a bank and trade in some cash for a roll of quarters if you want to go through the quicker lane that doesn't require change being made. There are no tolls on 95, 75 or I-4.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

LuckyMcSwervy

I know the Miami end of the FL Turnpike there was a cash lane (SunPass lanes were blocked with an accident). The toll collector told me I had to give her cash because my SunPass wouldn't work in the cash lane. My EZPass works in both electronic and cash lanes.

This is incorrect. Not sure when you were last on the southern end of the turnpike but all of Miami-Dade county is cashless only on the turnpike now. Cash lanes no longer exist. It is a real hassle for people with rental cars as some companies programs for the tolls are outrageously priced. The sunpass link gives a good breakdown of different rental companies charges.

If you are going to be driving much where this will affect you it's pretty easy to get a sunpass mini and open an account then it's smooth sailing.

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/

www.sunpass.com

Opie

***I know the Miami end of the FL Turnpike there was a cash lane (SunPass lanes were blocked with an accident). The toll collector told me I had to give her cash because my SunPass wouldn't work in the cash lane. My EZPass works in both electronic and cash lanes.

This is incorrect. Not sure when you were last on the southern end of the turnpike but all of Miami-Dade county is cashless only on the turnpike now. Cash lanes no longer exist. It is a real hassle for people with rental cars as some companies programs for the tolls are outrageously priced. The sunpass link gives a good breakdown of different rental companies charges.

If you are going to be driving much where this will affect you it's pretty easy to get a sunpass mini and open an account then it's smooth sailing.

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/

www.sunpass.com

Looks like I stand corrected. I guess it was I-95?

11/18/2013 03:31:50 AM 11/17/2013 09:14:41 AM Transponder 129404510110 on 11/17/2013 09:14:41 AM at I-95 NW54th NB HOT Lanes lane 03S Agency I-95 with 02 axles. TTOL ($0.25) $19.77 Receipt

So it looks to me like not only was my SunPass charged but I also paid a cash toll. That's sweet.

Opie

That sucks that you got charged double and also that you had to drive I-95!

I shouldn't be surprised I was charged double. I asked her if that would happen and she said no. Shocking. Hope she made enough money that day to be worth it. ;)

I was just off the cruise ship from hell so I guess driving 95 back to the Hard Rock was a small price to pay for freedom! :)

oldwomanc6

Most car rental companies will just tack the cost of running the toll to your bill. It will show up later on your credit card. It may cost some sort of penalty, though, but it might be worth it for the few times where paying cash is not available.

Not in my experience. What I've seen and experienced 1st hand is, if you use a E toll once, they will charge you a daily fee for the entire rental duration. Short rental, no big deal. Long rental, quite the rip off. Ask 1st.
Remster

Remster

***Most car rental companies will just tack the cost of running the toll to your bill. It will show up later on your credit card. It may cost some sort of penalty, though, but it might be worth it for the few times where paying cash is not available.

Not in my experience. What I've seen and experienced 1st hand is, if you use a E toll once, they will charge you a daily fee for the entire rental duration. Short rental, no big deal. Long rental, quite the rip off. Ask 1st.

IIRC, I'm pretty sure Alamo did that to us a few years ago. I thought it was a rip off for picking up a rental at FLL, a couple of tolls on the turnpike and then having a car in EYW for a week, no other tolls, cash on Card Sound Road IIRC. A couple of tolls on the way back. Too much money for the administration.

LuckyMcSwervy

***Hey McSwervy maximizing vacation time is important, skip the drive and fly into EYW, I'll pick you up at the airport ;)

You're in Key West? I'm down there pretty often!

So that is where you go when you don't want guys bothering you?:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Key West with a friend years ago...we walk down a pier to watch sunset.
NOTHING BUTT nekkid dudes sunning on the pier - long pier too!

She says "I've never seen so many dicks in my life!"
Me: "I don't think any of them would do you any good."

:D

ryoder

******Hey McSwervy maximizing vacation time is important, skip the drive and fly into EYW, I'll pick you up at the airport ;)

You're in Key West? I'm down there pretty often!

So that is where you go when you don't want guys bothering you?:ph34r:

OMG... Over the years I've met more jerk offs down there. Locals. You have no idea... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

normiss

Key West with a friend years ago...we walk down a pier to watch sunset.
NOTHING BUTT nekkid dudes sunning on the pier - long pier too!

She says "I've never seen so many dicks in my life!"
Me: "I don't think any of them would do you any good."

:D

I know where you were. Atlantic Shores is gone now.... :)