gassanjaffal

wing loadings on a crossfire 2

ICARUS seems to think not. Reccomended W/L is 1.4-2.1

I seem to remember a discussion about the problems encountered when underloading them, but I don't recall any details or reasons.
Try searching "Crossfire2", maybe with wingloading or underloading.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I saw girl flying an underloaded crossfire (about 1.1). It collapsed at a very low level from wake tubulalance off a tandem canopy.

She was about 4 metres to the side and about 6-8 metres behind (probably right in the wingtip vortex), this is a position that anyone could end up in on a busy landing area.

Her (left side) canopy did not reinflate and she severely broke her leg. the right hand side kept flying and the left side just tuned to shit. she did not fall but was flung by the canopy into the ground.

It was very distubing to watch and her compund fracture was infected as the bone stabbed into the ground. she was in hospital for some time with complications...

Crossfires have a semi closed nose and require more airspeed/loading to recover from such a collapse.

I would reccomend that you do not purchase a crossfire unltil you load it at 1.4 or more.

From that wingloading to just over 2.0 they are terrific canopies and will reinflate just like any other canopy.

My guess is that this issue is the reason for the minimum wingloading on them, but I may be wrong...
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Buddy -

Learn to swoop on the sabre 2. I don't know how many jumps you have but with your questions and answers I don't think it matters.

If you are bored with the 190 go to the 170 and learn to swoop with it. A crossfire canopy is a highly elliptical canopy that is for advanced canopy pilots. Learn to fly the crap out of the sabre 2 before you go to a crossfire.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

i am an intermediate jumper thats about to jump a crossfire 2 with 1.1 - 1.2 wing loading, would that be safe??

Assuming you're not a troll:

Why?

What do you want from a canopy?

You say you are "about to jump a crossifire2", but you don't seem to know anything about it. Maybe completing your profile would gain you some more realistic answers.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I've put several jumps on an Xfire2 99 loaded at 1.45...I thought it outright sucked in comparison to the Katana of equal size/loading.

It felt incredibly soft (barely pressurized) all around, but had awesome openings. Riser pressure was ridiculous beyond a 180 and I was told that it must have been because I was under loading it. Who knows. Now consider it at 1.1...

I bought a Katana 97 and it feels completely solid and riser pressure is fantastic well beyond a 720. Openings can be testy though.

I'm getting the sense that it may be above your head to be jumping this canopy and you're looking for approval because it's "only @ 1.1 loading". Don't think you're gonna find that here unless you fill in your profile.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

You're going to find very few people on this board who will support your plan to fly a Crossfire 2 at anything below the recommended minimum not to mention that you certainly sound like you don't know what you're talking about and don't appear to have even done the basic research on this or any other canopy.

Do some reading. Go find the search box in the upper right hand corner of the page and put crossfire 2 into it. Then something like "learning to swoop". You'll learn a lot and find that the general consensus is that you should be learning on the canopy you've got. You should get a canopy coach or at least get advice from *responsible* people who've seen you fly and know your personality.

Personally I find that dz.com is a good resource for broadening the information I get from my canopy mentor and experienced friends (who I annoy constantly with canopy questions). If you don't get the answer you want from you S&TA, instructor, DZO, canopy coach, experienced friends, don't ask here, suck up your ego and get to learning.

Well… For one you should really let us know your particulars e.g. number of jumps, years in sport, currency, etc. Secondly, you should rethink taking an unfamiliar canopy to a boogie. Have you maxed out your skill set on the Saber 2? I’m suspecting not since you indicated you wanted to learn to swop. Talk to some qualified and respected canopy pilots at your DZ and get some canopy coaching before moving on.
Don't be sexist… Broads hate that.

thanks for the info. holy shit though i dont know whether to purchase it now. i wanted to buy it for an upcoming boogie and its a canopy that seems pretty fun in accordance to the reviews i read. plus id like to try some swooping. so an a 1.1 wingloading would basically kill me?

It is not (necessarily) going to kill you.

But you should use a canopy that is recommended by the manufacturer at that wingloading.

You will find that you will get more performance out of the correct canopy, than an underloaded canopy.

Get a Saffire2 at that loading, you get the nice openings and you can still run your progression, and will not be told that you have the wrong canopy.

I have a girl here at my DZ that has an underloaded Crossfire, she will not be able to jump in slightly bumpy conditions, where she may be able to if she had an appropriate canopy...

something to think about.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I bought a Katana 97 and it feels completely solid and riser pressure is fantastic well beyond a 720. Openings can be testy though.

and it is an extremely ground hungry canopy that will not get back from a long spot as well as a xfire.

Crossfires are tried and true for beginner swoopers, and i beleve one should not begin to swoop untill they have a decent wingloading/recovery arc/margin of error.

I recently jumped a Xfire2 170 loaded at 1:1.1
Playing with it up high I found the riser pressure was very, very high. Was almost immpossible to hold onto the riser after about 90. Not having dive loops probly didn't help.

If you dont believe that this is a bad canopy to learn to swoop at that loading why don't you go take it for a test jump. Open high and practise doing some front riser turns with it. Then go jump a Sabre 2 of the same size or compare it to the one your jumping now.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

i did 300 jumps with x-fire2 169 loaded at 1.1-1.3
Jumped thru 110 degree summer along with dust devils and was fine.
at 1.1 x-fire does not dive as much.
you can expect super slow openings, and more flair power at the bottom end than safire2 or sabre2.

jump it first.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I will agree that the flair on the Xfire2 lightly loadedd 1.1 was alot more impress than a safire2 loaded at 1.3.

i'm getting an AWESOME flare on my rather highly loaded safire2..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

despite what some people above just posted, Icarus do not recommend jumping it at low wingloadings and "little" experience

We recommend wing loadings from 1.4 psf to 2.1 psf.
The ICARUS Crossfire 2 is a high performance elliptical ZP 9-cell canopy designed specifically for experienced ram air pilots.

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The flare on my safire2 is AWESOME I just found the xfire2 to be even more awesome!

fair enough!

i'm just a little tired of people saying bad stuff about safire2's, how they had a weak flare and how it wasnt a good platform to learn how to swoop on.. or that sabre2's were better for that purpose. seems billvon is the only one more or less to vouch for it.

next year, hopefully, i'll get my grabby hands on an XF2, then i'll be able to make a more accurate statement regarding flare-power, and which was even MORE awesome! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

How does Katana feel more solid than x-fire???
to me Katana's riser pressure is comparable to soft noodle with no resistance.
VS
X-fire's heavy riser pressure feels much more stable.

and opening wise, I felt Katana opened much more on heading than x-fire.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016