Stumpy

need something to read....

I'm 2/3 of the way through the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson and it's pretty good.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I just finished 'To Kill a Mockingbird'

~yup, I read it 40 some years ago, but I saw an interesting biography on Harper Lee a couple days ago that sparked new interest.

The story is somewhat autobiographic in that Harper Lee was a bit of a tomboy as is 'Scout', her father was an attorney...the 'weird' neighbor 'Dill' was patterned after Lee's actual next door neighbor growing up who happened to be Truman Capote. Lee's mothers maiden name was Finch...

When you remember that this story was published in the early 60's just as the civil rights movement was taking hold and gaining speed, it really puts some things into perspective regarding just how important a novel then movie it really was.

Though I remember from reading it so many years ago what the story is about, re-reading it through more seasoned eyes I now realize what an absolutely brilliant work it really is!

Take a look at the link for some quotes from the book...simply masterful!

My favorite is ~
“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.
- Atticus Finch”

http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/3275794-to-kill-a-mockingbird

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Like you, reading about Harper Lee inspired me to re-read it a couple years ago, too, for the first time as an adult. I loved it as a kid, and though I'd watched the movie a few times in the interim, I hadn't read the book. The movie is strong in its own right, but just by virtue of being a film, it misses a lot of the subtlety of the book.

I was quite literally floored by just how great that book is, reading it now. I have so much more context for good vs. not so good writing now than I did 30ish years ago when I first read it. Reading it now I think I was able to appreciate it on a whole new level.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I read the book a few times as well as watched the movie. And as far as I'm concerned. Its one of the best books I've ever read, and the movie adaptation is about as good as it gets.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I read the book a few times as well as watched the movie. And as far as I'm concerned. Its one of the best books I've ever read, and the movie adaptation is about as good as it gets.

YOU can read?!?! :o

How Sci-Fi do you want to go?

Personally I'm a fan of trilogies or longer series of books - I find stand alone books are too short to do the genre justice.

There's the classic 'Dune' series by Frank Herbert, although some of the latter ones in that series are really hard going.

For a cracking sci-fi / fantasy mashup I really enjoy the Nights Dawn Trilogy by Peter Hamilton. I believe it starts with The Reality Dysfunction.

Well sure... I wouldn't be on DZ.COM if I couldn't! :P

Stephen King is my all-time favorite author. Have a bunch of his books in hard cover. Always a good read eliciting vivid imaginations of scary shit. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

but your monitor is smudge up from feeling all the braille, right?

>:(
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'M FUCKING DEAF, NOT BLIND!!!!

:D:D:D

:D>:(

Ever since you got that hearing ear dog you've been all moody.

:D

Gets kinda kinky when he starts feeling the 'bumps' on the dog to hear what people are sayin'...:S

:D No dogs here. Just a couple tuxedo cats.

:D No dogs here. Just a couple tuxedo cats.

I don't know, service cats seems like a bad idea. They would probably ignore your needs while plotting to kill you.

http://theoatmeal.com/misc/frame/cat_kill

You should pick up a book about zombies.

I think you'd enjoy that :P:P;)

Bry

Dude, that's what I recommended. Then again, I'm sort of a zombie guy...

Oh yeah?!

What's to the NORTH? ;)

Maggots, FACE THE NORTH!

Apart from Airtwardo and BillyV cracking me up (as always - loving the idea of a hearing ear dog) thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have the blessing and curse of being able to read stupidly quickly - the kindle has been a godsend, especially here in NZ where a paperback is 3 to 6 times the cost of a kindle book!
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Then you can never go wrong with Dean Koontz either

OH YES you can. I have read a LOT of Koontz, he's my "go to" author when i want to read something predictable and formulaic.
Currently reading the ODD series,

Some classic SciFi, try Ursula LeGuin, "The Word for World is Forrest" Also anything by Greg Bear, or William Gibson

It boggles my mind there is *still* no "Neuromancer" movie.

Just finished Neuromancer - had some parallels in the Matrix, but not too close. Was good though, interesting writing style, good story - Not one of my favourites so far but well worth the read!
Never try to eat more than you can lift

For a cracking sci-fi / fantasy mashup I really enjoy the Nights Dawn Trilogy by Peter Hamilton. I believe it starts with The Reality Dysfunction.

It does. I'm halfway through the second book (The Neutronium Alchemist) with the third one still to go. It's awesome, and huge (each book is ~1000-1200 pages).

For something more pure sci-fi, the Commonwealth Saga (also by Peter Hamilton) is to be recommended. The first book is Pandora's Star, the second book is Judas Unchained.