Stumpy

need something to read....

hey all - have just finished everything on my Kindle so need some recommendations

Currently into a lot of sci-fi/fantasy so any recommendations there would be great, but also open to anything else.

Here is one for everyone else to get us started - anything by Christopher Brookmyre is good if you like quirky crime novels!
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I'm not all that much into sci-fi/fantasy, but these are sort of in that wheelhouse and you might enjoy them (I did):

Sort of in the sci-fi/dystopian future category...
2030 by Albert Brooks (yes, THAT Albert Brooks)
Ready Player One by Ernest Kline
Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

More sci-fi/fantasy-ish
Every Day by David Levithan
The Magicians by Lev Grossman

And, in the creepy dark humor category, any of Gillian Flynn's books.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Neverwhere, American Gods or Stardust by Neil Gaiman - the first's a gritty, grubby story of an alternative London, the second is a bleak, brooding epic and the third is a pure fairy story with a hard edge to it; and all of them are funny.

For some really different fantasy (or just surrealism) try something by Haruki Murakami, A Wild Sheep Chase, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle or Kafka on the Shore.

I'm on a Noir kick at the moment, just finishing up Raymond Chandler and most of Dashiel Hammett, and suggestions for more hardboiled writers? I'm thinking of starting James Ellroy...
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I read lots of sci-fi/fantasy as well, some of my favorites are..

Robert Jorden's Wheel of time series

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series

Kim Harrison's The Hollows(little more girly than I usually read, but I like it for some reason)

and not so much sci-fi/fantasy but

Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth and World without end are good

Then you can never go wrong with Dean Koontz either

OH YES you can. I have read a LOT of Koontz, he's my "go to" author when i want to read something predictable and formulaic.
Currently reading the ODD series,

Some classic SciFi, try Ursula LeGuin, "The Word for World is Forrest" Also anything by Greg Bear, or William Gibson
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Then you can never go wrong with Dean Koontz either

OH YES you can. I have read a LOT of Koontz, he's my "go to" author when i want to read something predictable and formulaic.
Currently reading the ODD series,

Some classic SciFi, try Ursula LeGuin, "The Word for World is Forrest" Also anything by Greg Bear, or William Gibson

It boggles my mind there is *still* no "Neuromancer" movie.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It boggles my mind there is *still* no "Neuromancer" movie.

No kidding. It would beat the hell out of a lot of screenplays I've seen.

I've got some Louis L'Amour on my kindle right now and a good Biography of Thomas Jefferson.

Bill Bryson always makes me smile and think, sometimes simultaneously. :)

hey all - have just finished everything on my Kindle so need some recommendations

Currently into a lot of sci-fi/fantasy so any recommendations there would be great, but also open to anything else.

Here is one for everyone else to get us started - anything by Christopher Brookmyre is good if you like quirky crime novels!

Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin (you know, game of thrones on tv)

anything by Guy Gavriel Kay, Lions of Al-Rassan is my favorite, but anything he writes is great.

Also, I really enjoyed Tad Williams' Otherland series...sci-fi and fantasy all rolled into one.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Try Jack Whyte's Dream of Eagles series. It is a really cool take on the King Arthur legend. Jack does his homework on the history bits and is a good writer.

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

the first two seasons were pretty close, but I've heard the next season is going to diverge a bit...however, that's not necessarily bad. The books are not really "linear" in the sense that there is a lot going on in a lot of different places at the same time.

They are honestly some of the best-written books out there now, hands down, even if you aren't normally a fantasy fan. Read them. seriously. you will NOT be disappointed. Surprised, shocked, amused, hurt, angry, happy, perhaps, but not disappointed.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Ready Player One

Ernest Cline (Author)

Read this and enjoyed it, also Enders Game is a great book.

I've enjoyed all of the series (I think I like Bean's viewpoint best!)

It is finally coming out as a movie in November! :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Sara Douglas' "The Troy Game" Series of books is pretty good too, Historical characters and events mixed with mythical ones.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I loved The Dog Stars by Peter Heller.

There's a tenuous sci-fi/ fantasy link in its post-apocalyptic setting, and also lots of other stuff to appeal to people here: if you're an aviation fan (and which of us isn't?) then the protagonist, Hig, spends a lot of time flying an old Cessna around on the lookout for survivors/ intruders; if you're a dog owner then the relationship that Hig has with his will really tug at your heartstrings; and if you're interested in guns, then you'll enjoy all the weapons stuff!

It's a very human, moving story but the survivalist aspect provides plenty of understated tension too.

The writing style is a little odd, but stick with it - it really serves the story in the end.

The Making of the Atomic Bomb

Richard Rhodes does an incredible job weaving together the people and technology that made this happen. Technology is described in laymen terms. With regards to the people, he explains who was thinking what and why, and what else was going on around them. Tremendous book.
We are all engines of karma