grue

What's your Myers-Briggs personality type? (Link)

--ISTJ--
Introvert(33%) Sensing(25%) Thinking(12%) Judging(11%)
You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (33%)
You have moderate preference of Sensing over Intuition (25%)
You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (12%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (11%)

Andy9o8

Interesting, but not surprising.

One thing I think would make it more accurate would be to allow a greater choice range in an answer, rather than just restricting it to Yes or No. There were several questions to which, given a chance, I would have answered "sometimes" or "it depends...", so a simple Yes or No answer was misleadingly arbitrary.

The full test is much MUCH bigger - from memory its hundreds of questions, and I think it marks on a scale?

Anyway - I have no real problem with the MBTI - it can lead to some interesting conversations and help a little with determining team makeup as Wendy says. The problem comes when people read too much into it and think that everyone fits in their little box and that they can then predict and control everything. Same goes for all the other similar categorisations.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

wmw999

O-M-G
INTP here also. The percentages are different, which means that NO WE'RE NOT THE SAME!!!!!!! (imagine my fingers in my ears, and me saying nananananananananana)

:D

To me (and I've done some reading & looking at it), it's a grid for viewing and sorting people. It doesn't work at all for some people, and can provide some insight for others -- just as any other type-ology can.

I did find that in building a team, making sure that I had a couple of specific types (call them MBTI, or whatever) would help. E.g. an idea person, a taskmaster, an integrator, and a finisher.

Wendy P.

I don't know if I should be insulted or amused?

You say that like you just found out that you have inbred family?:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Never taken the full questionnaire, but two people that do the evaluations have both told me the same thing, ESTP. I have taken the "short form" and got the same result. I did some reading on job types that ESTPs tend to do well, and guess what. I work in one of those fields.

People that use the results to explain why they do things are idiots. I have heard of some businesses that have your classification on your cube so others know best how to approach/talk to you. Uggh.

I think it is an interesting way to get you to look at where your comfort zone is in dealing with others/issues. But it in no way explains why you do what you do.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

monkycndo

Never taken the full questionnaire, but two people that do the evaluations have both told me the same thing, ESTP. I have taken the "short form" and got the same result. I did some reading on job types that ESTPs tend to do well, and guess what. I work in one of those fields.

People that use the results to explain why they do things are idiots. I have heard of some businesses that have your classification on your cube so others know best how to approach/talk to you. Uggh.

I think it is an interesting way to get you to look at where your comfort zone is in dealing with others/issues. But it in no way explains why you do what you do.

Please tell me you're joking? :|
Always be kinder than you feel.

monkycndo

Nope. One business had an in-house management conference and the your MBTI classification was on your name tag.

I once worked for a Fortune 500 company and every couple of years some clown in management would come up with some new and trendy management theory and force the underlings to do questionable bullshit. I can completely see some jackass thinking MBTI on a name tag was a "good idea."

Of course, I suppose so would an astrological sign.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

Nope. One business had an in-house management conference and the your MBTI classification was on your name tag.

I once worked for a Fortune 500 company and every couple of years some clown in management would come up with some new and trendy management theory and force the underlings to do questionable bullshit. I can completely see some jackass thinking MBTI on a name tag was a "good idea."

What's that called? Junk science? I find it an invasion of my privacy. I'm a ISTJ. :D

quade

Sounds like SOP for the corporate idiots I've suffered under:
- Sig Sigma
- 10x Cycle Time Improvement
- Software Engineering Institute
and I have thankfully forgotten the rest. And that was at just *one* company, in just three years! (Motorola).
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

LuckyMcSwervy

What's that called? Junk science? I find it an invasion of my privacy. I'm a ISTJ. :D

No it’s called padding your resume. In some companies they promote by the weight of your personal file. I saw a guy go from Firefighter to Capt. in 4 months with some hair brain idea. What bothered me the most was the bubble head Chief we had at the time bought into it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

quade

***God dammit I didn't ask for a debate on the validity of it :D

What can I say, I'm a Ravenclaw, not a Hufflepuff.

Well, you suck. I'm a Marmalade. And, I'm delicious!
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

mjosparky

***Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Judging

http://typelogic.com/intj.html

Now I am sure it is bull shit. How did they get the answers from the following?

Sparky

Famous INTJs:

Augustus Caesar

Susan B. Anthony

Hannibal

Thomas Jefferson

Perhaps they were referring to Hannibal Lector. Happy, now?

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

LuckyMcSwervy

Nope. One large well known company had an in-house management conference and the your MBTI classification was on your name tag.

OMG... sorry, but I think that's bullshit. It just seems ass-kissish to me. [:/]

I'd sharpie mine in as 'STFU' :ph34r:

mjosparky

No it’s called padding your resume. In some companies they promote by the weight of your personal file. I saw a guy go from Firefighter to Capt. in 4 months with some hair brain idea. What bothered me the most was the bubble head Chief we had at the time bought into it.

Sparky

You're right. I've seen the most kiss ass, BS, unoriginal ideas get pushed along to fruition because they played on management's ego. I hate kiss asses. Have a freaking spine and an original thought once in a while.

mjosparky

***Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Judging

http://typelogic.com/intj.html

Now I am sure it is bull shit. How did they get the answers from the following?

Sparky

Famous INTJs:

Augustus Caesar

Susan B. Anthony

Hannibal

Thomas Jefferson

Aren't you old enough to have given the test to Gus Caesar?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

monkycndo

Nope. One large well known company had an in-house management conference and the your MBTI classification was on your name tag.

If it prevented a single INTP from having to play a silly team building game at a company retreat, it was worth it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

ESTJ

Extravert(83%) Sensing(19%) Thinking(25%) Judging(22%)
•You have strong preference of Extraversion over Introversion (83%)
•You have slight preference of Sensing over Intuition (19%)
•You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (25%)
•You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

It is what it is... Not going to change now.
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

for posperity
ENTJ
Extravert(78%) iNtuitive(25%) Thinking(12%) Judging(22%)

You have strong preference of Extraversion over Introversion (78%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (25%)
You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (12%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)
IHYD

LuckyMcSwervy

Sparky

You're right. I've seen the most kiss ass, BS, unoriginal ideas get pushed along to fruition because they played on management's ego. I hate kiss asses. Have a freaking spine and an original thought once in a while.

You will be chagrine to know that I did it as part of a team building exercise when I was with Space and Missile Defense Command (not my choice). People put the little signs up on their cubicles thereafter. The idea was that you would see how someone else is programmed and adjust how you interact with them to get the desired result.

Someone put the sign on my office without my consent. I made up a new sign. It said I was an SIUC.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.