promise5

Do you Facebook?why?

Meso

With a little bit of poking around you'll be able to dial your account to be as secure as you want it to be for how you use it.

Can you share where you found the 'Block NSA surveillance' button?

:D
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I saw something funny lately that sounds like something I would do. It said, "Freak out your neighbors. Name your wifi 'FBI Surveillance Van'."

I'm considering re-naming my wifi with something concerning NSA.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

I saw something funny lately that sounds like something I would do. It said, "Freak out your neighbors. Name your wifi 'FBI Surveillance Van'."

I'm considering re-naming my wifi with something concerning NSA.

One of my good friends is next to a freaky church. Their WiFi is named "Satan'sAbortionClinic". :o:D:D:P
Always be kinder than you feel.

You don't HAVE to "friend" your family. I won't friend my mom because I know she's a FB stalker with my kids and other family members and I don't want her stalking me. Yes, I do it just to bug her; a girl's gotta have some fun. :)

(And before you think I'm a mean daughter, I see her every day because I work at her house. She sees plenty of me!)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

But I have a rule about posting on the internet. I post everything with the assumption that it will appear on every computer in the world eventually.

This. When I started posting in newsgroups, I imagined my husband, father, or son reading what I'd posted, and never posted anything that I'd have to explain my way out of.

I have a FB account for the widely-dispersed family; I post on it at least once or twice a year.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

davjohns

That was the name of my wifi at my last apartment!:ph34r:
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

skymama

You don't HAVE to "friend" your family. I won't friend my mom because I know she's a FB stalker with my kids and other family members and I don't want her stalking me. Yes, I do it just to bug her; a girl's gotta have some fun. :)

(And before you think I'm a mean daughter, I see her every day because I work at her house. She sees plenty of me!)

I haven't friended my parents, either.

1) I don't want to have to explain every random thing I post

2) I don't want them to know exactly how much time I spend on Facebook.

I do have my brother. He tends to only comment on my cat pics, though. :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I created a facebook account so I could keep track of my daughter's accounts.

I have found it a great way to keep in touch with friends I've had at various points in my life (I've lived a lot of places and done a lot of things so have many different people I've been friends with at different times/places).

I have also increasingly found that it is the place where I find information about social events including DZ events, knowing when bands I like are playing, etc.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I started one so that my mom could see the grandkids pics. Both my sisters live on the west coast, and this way she can see any pics they post.

My DZ has a page that they use to announce what's up for the upcoming weekends. Easier than calling.

It's a handy way to stalk the weirdos that I meet at boogies and only see once or twice a year (waves at Sunshine B|)

I don't put much up, and I use the "If everyone in my life (mom, sisters, boss, potential G/Fs, ect) could read this, would I put it there?" as a filter.

I don't put anything about any trips until after I get back. Very much "that was a fun trip, glad to be home from it, here are some pics and stories." I'm pretty security conscious about the pics I post and that sort of thing.

I have friends that share everything. Some of it is pretty cool. George Takei has a great page. There are some others. I don't follow those pages, I trust those friends that do to filter out the crap and only post the "good stuff." It works pretty well.
NerdGirl shares a lot of very cool stuff, from the scientific and very highbrow to a picture of a cat dressed as Chewbacca.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

NerdGirl shares a lot of very cool stuff, from the scientific and very highbrow to a picture of a cat dressed as Chewbacca.

I copied that to the "Post your pet pic" thread this morning.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Facebook = yes

It has been a good way to get / keep in touch with people around the world.

Having moved countries a few times, I would not be in touch with many of the people on my friends list.

Rule number one; don't post anything you wouldn't say in public or right to a persons face.
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

mccurley

Rule number one; don't post anything you wouldn't say in public or right to a persons face.

Rule number one? Not sure that is the answer. I say way too many things in public and to people’s faces that I probably shouldn’t. I’m pretty sure I am worse in person than I am online. At least I hope so.

promise5

Feeling the pressure to Facebook but dang!!
Family can be drama and a pain in the bum.

No. I never understood what guys saw in Facebook until a kid told me he used it to talk to girls.

I really don't care how my real-life friends dress their children and cats for Halloween. If anything significant happens in my family's lives they'll call or email and tell me about it, and everything insignificant can wait for an e-mail update or call.

OTOH

I am into linkedin. I like to know when former colleagues work situations change and I might recruit them. I appreciate some of the inbound contacts.

I do use Quora often and well enough to be a 2013 Top Writer. I like to answer questions surrounding my business and technical experience to help younger engineers play to win sooner. I like to read answers about crushing the competition even when I don't know the author.

Just yesterday an old friend from FL put up some pictures from the DZ (Parkman) from the mid 80's. Put a big smile on my face. I would have missed that without FB. My friends have scattered to the 4 corners of the US. Great way to stay in touch.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Same as others: friends scattered all over the world.
I filter out some,avoids deleting them.Especially those that post
religious stuff exclusively!
Honestly, I guess most are not friends but really distant acquaintances, 85% are skydiving related.
Beats e-mail for rapid info on what's going on!

promise5

Feeling the pressure to Facebook but dang!!
Family can be drama and a pain in the bum.

Came in really handy for keeping contact with family and friends while I was deployed or otherwise moved from home/cell phones.

Just kind of kept it, most of my friends are probably skydivers now though.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message