LuckyMcSwervy

Horrible Day...

Just venting...

Today I watched as my neighbor's home burned to the effing ground in minutes. Minutes. 2600 square foot house gone just like that, and the cars in the driveway also. The fire department took at least 15 minutes to get here. They're a volunteer company so I understand they have to muster, but my God, it was horrible feeling helpless. And 5 other neighbor's homes are damaged.

They're all ok. The new wife is still at the hospital with her daughter who suffered smoke inhalation when she ran back in for the pets. They're insured for the structure but not contents.

I actually feel guilty for crawling in bed right now and being in a nice, warm house.

:(:(:(
Always be kinder than you feel.

shoeless_wonder

Holy SH*T!!!
I am glad everybody is alright! That is insane..
Are any of the other neighbors hurt?

No, thank God. I thought for sure my Jugaloo loving neighbor was going to get arrested as he ran across the street to try to use the hose on one of our other neighbor's bushes that were on fire. I was just going to yell at him to come back when the cops got there and started yelling at him. He ran back to his house and the cops didn't arrest him.

Before that this neighbor and his wife actually ran across the street and busted in the front door of one of our other neighbors (the one where he was trying to hose the bushes) and made them get out. It was the wife and her little daughter. The wife was in the shower when this happened and they ran her across the street in just a blanket. The side of their home is burned/melted/ruined and some smoke on the first floor but that's it for their damage. I didn't know the mom and daughter were home at the time but my other neighbors knew.

One of the cops ran into my yard to get away from the stuff that was coming off the house and flying with the wind while still on fire. He made me go inside for a while.

CSpenceFLY

I actually had a conversation this weekend about peoples unpreparedness for a fire and the mindset of go outside and wait for the fire department.

I thought I was somewhat prepared having a few fire extinguishers placed throughout my house. I also thought I was at an advantage since I have a hydrant at the end of my very, very short driveway. A hydrant doesn't mean jack when it took them forever to get here.

Here's 2 pics. One as it started before the fire department got there and the other is a little later. :(

oldwomanc6

Wow!

It's so easy to coast in life and become complacent, but that is a potent reminder that life can do a 180 in a moment's time.

That's the truth. I was laying in bed watching TV and screwing off on DZ.com about Frank Zappa when I heard the neighbor shout.

Oh, and don't get me started about one of the other neighbor's from way around the curve of our street who decided to plop him and his son in my drive way with his little GoPro drone and was flying it over the smoldering remains. I had to stop one daughter who lives at the fire house from going after him. She was yelling at him her little brothers and sisters were crying and upset that he was doing that. Other neighbors told him to stop flying it but he didn't. He just walked around the curve in front of another neighbor's house and kept flying it. I took some pics but I wasn't flying a fucking Go Pro at telephone pole height over the effing house with emergency services people all around!! Damn!!
>:(

LuckyMcSwervy

Oh, and don't get me started about one of the other neighbor's from way around the curve of our street who decided to plop him and his son in my drive way with his little GoPro drone and was flying it over the smoldering remains. I had to stop one daughter who lives at the fire house from going after him. She was yelling at him her little brothers and sisters were crying and upset that he was doing that. Other neighbors told him to stop flying it but he didn't. He just walked around the curve in front of another neighbor's house and kept flying it. I took some pics but I wasn't flying a fucking Go Pro at telephone pole height over the effing house with emergency services people all around!! Damn!!

Just a suggestion.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***Oh, and don't get me started about one of the other neighbor's from way around the curve of our street who decided to plop him and his son in my drive way with his little GoPro drone and was flying it over the smoldering remains. I had to stop one daughter who lives at the fire house from going after him. She was yelling at him her little brothers and sisters were crying and upset that he was doing that. Other neighbors told him to stop flying it but he didn't. He just walked around the curve in front of another neighbor's house and kept flying it. I took some pics but I wasn't flying a fucking Go Pro at telephone pole height over the effing house with emergency services people all around!! Damn!!

Just a suggestion.>:(

Is it legal to admit I *thought* about doing just that?? :)

LuckyMcSwervy

The best way to deal with people like that is to knock them on their ass. That will probably take care of the quad chopper at the same time.>:(

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

LuckyMcSwervy

Is it legal to admit I *thought* about doing just that?? :)

I'd like to build a large RC copter to do this: http://entertainment.time.com/2012/11/09/every-james-bond-opening-scene-ranked/slide/you-only-live-twice-1967/>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

mjosparky

***Oh, and don't get me started about one of the other neighbor's from way around the curve of our street who decided to plop him and his son in my drive way with his little GoPro drone and was flying it over the smoldering remains. I had to stop one daughter who lives at the fire house from going after him. She was yelling at him her little brothers and sisters were crying and upset that he was doing that. Other neighbors told him to stop flying it but he didn't. He just walked around the curve in front of another neighbor's house and kept flying it. I took some pics but I wasn't flying a fucking Go Pro at telephone pole height over the effing house with emergency services people all around!! Damn!!

The best way to deal with people like that is to knock them on their ass. That will probably take care of the quad chopper at the same time.>:(

Sparky

You know, if I wouldn't lose my security clearances over something small, who knows what I may have done/said. He had his kid, about 10 years old with him, to boot. The girl who lost her home yelled at him that he was setting a great example for all the kids (they were gathering about him down the street as he fly it over her house).

He looks like Nathan Lane with a mustache and is built like him too. I don't think I could've taken him on myself. :P

He told me he likes to fly the camera and make videos he puts on YouTube. Guess he gets off on the tragedy of others?

grimmie

If I was running the ladder truck, that quadcopter would have been accidentally hit with 500 gpms.

And having a few fire extinguishers, one in the kitchen, one in the garage at least, can stop things if caught quickly.

I know they saw it because they were all looking up. The fire trucks were loud but you could still here the drone thing.

As for the fire extinguishers, that's where I have 2 of mine. Plus I have one in my bedroom.

I just remembered that when I was dating this guy who had 2 kids (the lackluster father I've mentioned in the past), I told him since his kids sleep in the second floor bedroom when they're here he needs to buy a chain ladder thing for them and show them how to use it from those bedroom windows just in case, and I'll take care of teaching them how to use the fire extinguisher that's in the closet in that bedroom. We'd have a fire drill. We were in Home Depot with it in my hand. He said, "Nah, they'll ok getting out of the window". Motherfucker didn't want to spend the $50. >:(

LuckyMcSwervy

***If I was running the ladder truck, that quadcopter would have been accidentally hit with 500 gpms.

And having a few fire extinguishers, one in the kitchen, one in the garage at least, can stop things if caught quickly.

I know they saw it because they were all looking up. The fire trucks were loud but you could still here the drone thing.

As for the fire extinguishers, that's where I have 2 of mine. Plus I have one in my bedroom.

I just remembered that when I was dating this guy who had 2 kids (the lackluster father I've mentioned in the past), I told him since his kids sleep in the second floor bedroom when they're here he needs to buy a chain ladder thing for them and show them how to use it from those bedroom windows just in case, and I'll take care of teaching them how to use the fire extinguisher that's in the closet in that bedroom. We'd have a fire drill. We were in Home Depot with it in my hand. He said, "Nah, they'll ok getting out of the window". Motherfucker didn't want to spend the $50. >:(

Meh! He can make more. :S
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

******If I was running the ladder truck, that quadcopter would have been accidentally hit with 500 gpms.

Meh! He can make more. :S

He's someone else's problem now, thank God. I'm sure he wanted that $50 for hair gel, gym dues and tire wet. :|

turtlespeed

was it arson?

I don't think so. The cops said the daughter came out of the house saying something about something electrical. I still don't know. The cops who live in my neighborhood were pissed off because when the backhoe pushed the garage wall down, they were afraid they were "destroying evidence" before there was an investigation. I know what they mean but I don't know jack about fighting a fire but I understand they have to do what they have to do. The houses here are really close together as you can tell from the pictures.

Glitch

...and I thought I was having a tuff time. Just goes to prove that no matter what, ya just gotta wait a moment and look left or right to see someone else in a worse situation. :(

Awww..... I'm sorry. Just seems like some unfortunate times are around a lot of people lately. :(

grimmie

If I was running the ladder truck, that quadcopter would have been accidentally hit with 500 gpms.

I didn't know that's what they're called but I Googled the word 'quadcopter' and this popped right up. Looks exactly like what he had.