flyingwallop

my brother is a pilot can i jump out of his plane

flyingwallop

My brother has a single engine pilot license...

Can I jump out of his plane??

Noob.

If you have to ask on an internet forum then the answer is No.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Nigel

***My brother has a single engine pilot license...

Noob.

I'd just go for it. Take excessively careful precautions to avoid traffic, know the winds at the LZ. Take a stick and some loo roll, just in case. Helps too if the LZ owner is not surprised and angry. If you can have a catcher, much is simplified. Time it for low number of people around. Make sure cell-phones/radios work, have frequent planned contacts (eg every 15 mins). Jumpers all need adequate or better skills for the task in hand (many will not be able to judge their own limitations). Know the lat/long in case of needing rescue. Don't be afraid to call it off - and off should pre-agreed to mean one doesn't want to go, none go. Have a Plan B for rescue without authorities, and a Plan C for rescue with them. Know when to quit Plan B for Plan C. etc etc.

But with good sense and a little care, a lot of thrills!

You're giving this advice to someone who wouldn't even know how to get through the aircraft door?

councilman24

And his insurance company may not cover any loss if used for jumping. And is it his plane or a club or rental? Both would probably prohibit jumping. Doesn't mean it hasn't been done.;)

When I joined my flight club, they caught wind that I am a skydiver and were pretty quick to change the rules to state that no parachute operations were to occur from the aircraft, nor are we allowed to take the doors off for flight.

Killjoys... :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hey thanks eveyone. It was just a thought to begin with and although I have now gained much knowledge thanks to you, I can reassure the more apprehensive ones that this wont happen anytime soon.

Perhaps, once both I and brother have a few more hours in our logbooks....

The future is bright.B|

flyingwallop

My brother has a single engine pilot license...

Noob.

Legality aside, you are more likely to hurt yourself. It all depends on type of plane.

Biggest hurdle is opening the door. Most planes have "car door" types. They will open just like in a car. In order to actually being able to open the door, pilot must slow down the aircraft significantly, and maybe even do a forward slip. Once door is opened, aerodynamics will change and plane will start turning into the direction of the open door. Since plane is in slow flight or slipping, you may enter a spin.

Let's say you got the door opened. Climbed out. And then what? If you are flying a low-wing aircraft. chances are the door will be a bit in front of the wing. Now, you must close the door, and somehow jump safely, avoiding tail. A bit easier in T-Tail, but not conventional. Low wing aircraft do not have a spur to hold on to, like Cessnas.

So, short answer: Even if it's legal, without proper equipment, and a trained pilot (just having PPL is not enough) it is dangerous and stupid.

I think this is already a resolved thread but to add a note, you typically don't see or hear about experienced skydivers trying to do this. I only ever hear new jumpers asking about this or even attempting it. There comes a point where you gain an understanding of the terrible things that can happen when you try to squeeze through a door not designed to be opened in flight and flown by a pilot who is clueless to skydiving operations.