flyingwallop

my brother is a pilot can i jump out of his plane

flyingwallop

My brother has a single engine pilot license. Can I jump out of his plane? Noob.

Maybe. Check out this article first of all. Yes, it is complicated, but you can probably get a jump pilot at your DZ to explain it.

After that, you will need to determine if his plane is reasonably safe to skydive from. Again, ask some experienced people.

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/General_Safety/Jumping_Away_from_the_Normal_Dropzone_896.html

And his insurance company may not cover any loss if used for jumping. And is it his plane or a club or rental? Both would probably prohibit jumping. Doesn't mean it hasn't been done.;)

But jumping out of a plane not specifically configured for jumping with a pilot unfamiliar with flying jumpers is not for a noob but for someone with experience to recognize the snag and other hazards and instruct the pilot.

The real answer is you can but you shouldn't and don't do it, at least for a couple hundred jumps and not without asking a lot of questions.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

peek

***My brother has a single engine pilot license. Can I jump out of his plane? Noob.

Maybe. Check out this article first of all. Yes, it is complicated, but you can probably get a jump pilot at your DZ to explain it.

After that, you will need to determine if his plane is reasonably safe to skydive from. Again, ask some experienced people.

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/General_Safety/Jumping_Away_from_the_Normal_Dropzone_896.html

Thanks for the link here. It was really very helpful.
Spent a year deploying Mr. peekaru original in Suffolk, NY.

One question I haven't seen:

What kind of plane? There's a list of planes that are certified to operate with the door removed. If a "normal" door is on, getting out has a whole lot more issues.

Does your brother have a commercial ticket? Or just a private?
If he's got a commercial, he can fly jumpers in a 182. Many DZs are in need of 182 pilots.

All of this is presuming you are in the US. As was noted, different places have different rules.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

That old list probably needs to be updated. If we limit our list to single-engined airplanes that are factory-approved for flight with the door removed (or door ops ned in flight) I can remember:

Antonov AN-2

Cessna 170, 172, 175, 180, 182, 190, 195, 205, 206, 207, 208, 210 and L-19

Cresco crop dusters

DeHavilland of Canada DHC-2 Beaver and DHC-3 (single) Otter

Dornier 27

Finist

Fletcher crop dusters

Gippsland Airvan

Helio Courier and Stallion, but good luck finding a Stallion!!!!!

Maule

PAC 750

Pilatus Porter and I suspect PC-12

Piper Cherokee 6, Cub and Tri-Pacer

Quest Kodiak

Yak 12

For the sake of the OP, let's try to limit our list to aircraft that are still flying in significant numbers or working at DZs.

gowlerk

***My brother has a single engine pilot license...

Can I jump out of his plane??

Noob.

Start by asking your brother.In the USA.PIC NOTAM.;l Bandit Jump?" PIC loses license.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

******My brother has a single engine pilot license...

Noob.

Start by asking your brother.In the USA.PIC NOTAM.;l Bandit Jump?" PIC loses license.

Want to try again in English?
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Want to try again in English?

In the United States of America (and most other countries affiliated with the International Civil Aviation Organization) if you fail to file a Notice to Airmen (warning them about the impending jump), the Pilot in Command risks losing his license.
Hint: if you jump over an existing DZ, you don't need to file a fresh NOTAM, but will probably need permission from the DZO .... to avoid collisions with canopies and working jump-planes and keeping air traffic controllers happy, neighbours happy, etc.

As far as I know there is no regulatory requirement to file a Notam for a parachute operation. While it is a good practice the only time I have been required to file a Notam is when it is stipulated in a certificate of authorization for a demo. Letters of agreement with the FAA for drop zones also require a Notam in the system. Could you provide a reference for a requirement for a Notam I'm not aware of?

Not sure or the finer points of American Federal Air Regulations ... but it is against the law to drop anything from an airplane if it presents a risk to other aircraft or people on the ground. Pilots need to warn (radio) other pilots before they drop

If they are dropping in controlled airspace (Class A, B, C or D) they need clearance (permission) from the appropriate air traffic controller.

Long-term drop-zones are marked on aviation maps by little purple parachute symbols. Similarly, popular bag-glider launch points are marked by tiny purple hang-glider symbols.

DBCOOPER

As far as I know there is no regulatory requirement to file a NOTAM for a parachute operation.

Agreed. (In the US at least.)

While it is a good practice ...

Agreed. Except, my thoughts are that if you are doing a single 4000 foot jump on your Uncle's farm way out in the country that a NOTAM is not going to improve safety much.

... the only time I have been required to file a NOTAM is when it is stipulated in a certificate of authorization for a demo.

That is my experience too.

Letters of agreement with the FAA for drop zones also require a NOTAM in the system.

I am used to referring to that situation as a "permanent" or long term "Notification", combined with a permanent or long term NOTAM. Are some or all of them actually Letters of Agreement? I have never seen a copy of one.

When you file for an uncles farm Notam you can ask for a (and I think it's called a pointer) Notam be tagged to nearby airports and nav aids.
It's better than nothing.

riggerrob

Not sure or the finer points of American Federal Air Regulations ... but it is against the law to drop anything from an airplane if it presents a risk to other aircraft or people on the ground. Pilots need to warn (radio) other pilots before they drop

That's why our exit point is always over an non-congested area. We think of the dropzone as where we land. The FAA thinks of the dropzone as where we splat when the 'chutes don't open. They want to make sure we don't bounce on a taxpayer. ;)

Giving Notice to airmen is not only safer, it gives the jump pilot some leverage when there is a near miss with a canopy and another airplane.

Many years ago we had a very close call with a Cessna 170 after break off and opening of a 10 way. The plane was directly in the middle of all our canopies. One female jumper had to lift her legs to clear the wing as the plane flew through that side of our group.

We landed and called the FSDO, the 170 pilot was on the other line. We had a permanent NOTAM filed and the jump pilot made the proper calls on the unicom freq. The 170 pilot claimed we were at fault. The 170 pilot had his ticket yanked for a short time for not checking NOTAMS and some other charge like wreckless endangerment I can't remember the actual violation. If we wouldn't have had a NOTAM filed, been in contact with New York center, and made the proper announcements on UNICOM we would have been the ones in trouble, pilot and jumpers alike.

COVER YOUR ASS.ALWAYS FILE A NOTAM !!!

flyingwallop

My brother has a single engine pilot license...

Noob.

I'd just go for it. Take excessively careful precautions to avoid traffic, know the winds at the LZ. Take a stick and some loo roll, just in case. Helps too if the LZ owner is not surprised and angry. If you can have a catcher, much is simplified. Time it for low number of people around. Make sure cell-phones/radios work, have frequent planned contacts (eg every 15 mins). Jumpers all need adequate or better skills for the task in hand (many will not be able to judge their own limitations). Know the lat/long in case of needing rescue. Don't be afraid to call it off - and off should pre-agreed to mean one doesn't want to go, none go. Have a Plan B for rescue without authorities, and a Plan C for rescue with them. Know when to quit Plan B for Plan C. etc etc.

But with good sense and a little care, a lot of thrills!

Aside from the question of the plane requirements, there is an excellent article on what is needed by the FAA when making off normal DZ jumps authored by Gary Peek and Mike Mullins.
Both are long time jumpers and pilots and they give a well thought out explanation.
You can find the article by utilizing the site search feature under search (article) for ( notam).
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"