shropshire

Augmented reality motor cycle helmet...

I've been working toward this with my own gear. Glad to see someone with greater ability and resources weigh in.

I saw this on my motorcycle forum and applied to beta test. They only had 40k applicants at the time. >:( Wish people would quit spreading the word and diluting my chances. ;)

I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

shropshire

I've wanted some augmented reality skydiving goggles for a while now. If I could float my altitude and heading over my field of vision, I'd never actually have to look at my altimeter. That Flight Gear thing Jeb was pushing a while back falls way short. When I searched for augmented reality displays 10 years ago, I got about the same results as I do now -- a few companies experimenting with them and no one actually has a product.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Yeah, but how long before some idiot figures out how to stream video into the display and rides (insert really inattentive action here, like off of a cliff) somewhere really stupid.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

FlyingRhenquest

I've wanted some augmented reality skydiving goggles for a while now. If I could float my altitude and heading over my field of vision, I'd never actually have to look at my altimeter. That Flight Gear thing Jeb was pushing a while back falls way short. When I searched for augmented reality displays 10 years ago, I got about the same results as I do now -- a few companies experimenting with them and no one actually has a product.

I don't think its possible. Its near impossible to simultaneously focus your eyes to look at something near and far away. And switching back and forth just makes you feel horrible. If you've ever had eyeglasses with some dirt on them you'll know what its like.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

It looks like the rearview is mirrored so its like looking in a rearview mirror.

Oh, I see what Jerry meant now. It doesn't make sense to me to not mirror the image. Too much metal processing going on if you need to move over to avoid something overtaking you on the left side of the image and also remember that it actually on the right side of the image.
Owned by Remi #?

labrys

It looks like the rearview is mirrored so its like looking in a rearview mirror.

Oh, I see what Jerry meant now. It doesn't make sense to me to not mirror the image. Too much metal processing going on if you need to move over to avoid something overtaking you on the left side of the image and also remember that it actually on the right side of the image.

You know what else gives you a mirror image of what's behind you? A rear-view mirror. :P
Remster

I first heard about this helmet back in the fall but have not pursued it since then. However I race Karts (I race a 2 stroke Rotax DD2 Kart) and this might be awesome for Kart racing since there are no mirrors attached to our Karts. What better way to close the door on someone trying to pass you when you know they are coming. Of course the race Marshals might not share the same enthusiasm for the helmet if only one person had it. It would likely need to be an all or none scenario. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Arvoitus

I don't think its possible. Its near impossible to simultaneously focus your eyes to look at something near and far away. And switching back and forth just makes you feel horrible. If you've ever had eyeglasses with some dirt on them you'll know what its like.

BUT they way HUDs work is that all images are at Infinity.. so even though the screen is close the image is not!

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

It will be just like being in a car!!!!!!!!:S
I prefer to strap the lid to the back of the bike, turn the phone off and, rock down the highway to the sweet, sweet sounds of my beloved Harley-Davidson.:)

"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

FlyingRhenquest

There are ski goggles that come close. There are a set of wearable glasses with HUD, GPS, etc. that come close.

Soon.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

There are ski goggles that come close. There are a set of wearable glasses with HUD, GPS, etc. that come close.

Soon.

If you're talking about that company that made that flight HUD thing Jeb was pitching, it wasn't really a HUD. You had to glance down and to the right to see the screen. It wasn't really an overlay. AFAIK google glass is essentially the same. You still have to take your attention away from what you're doing to use it. I'm looking for something more like Terminator-vision.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Not a fan
Technically cool practically dangerous.
To many mofos don't focus on the road already.
No one needs to be focusing on a phone call whilst riding:S

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?