LuckyMcSwervy

Target Stolen Customer Information - Anyone Here Get Hit?

Just wondering if anyone here got hit by the people who stole Target's customers information? Just got a lovely little email from Target that my information was compromised. Totally messing up my well planned day.

I didn't hear from them during the first round of breaches and I've been keeping an eye on my accounts by doing the usual password changes, modifying security questions, making sure my account alerts were current and added a couple of more spending limits where I need to be personally contacted before an approval goes through.

Now I have to do a few pain in the ass phone calls with credit card companies. I already have the credit monitoring service they're offering for free.

Oh well. >:(
Always be kinder than you feel.

normiss

Interesting.
I labeled that email as spam.
I wasn't at Target during that period of time.

Apparently, there's some spam emails going around but I received the real deal, unfortunately. Target verified the validity when I called the number on the back of an old credit card.

Their verified Facebook page and the Target website addresses some of the spam emails.

I have a f'ing headache from my bank. I have to go into the branch before they'll mail me a new card. Not happy since they know me and have been dealing with my family forever. The branch manager even recognized my voice when I called. Whatever.

I should just be thankful I hadn't left my house and was on the road when I got the email because I would've stressed until Tuesday.

Grrr... >:(

normiss

Safe site, poor practice to use this method

ANOTHER poor practice of using data/information with your customers.

You'd think they had learned something over the past few weeks.
No.

I told the chick on the phone at Target the email looked sketchy and there was some security concerns (as you mentioned before about the BF in the address). The braintrust on the other line had no idea what I was talking about. Whatever. :|

Target did send me notification early on that my information MAY have been compromised. Was keeping an eye on my accounts when my bank notified me that both my credit card and debit card had been compromised. I've gotten replacements for both.

Got the "we're so sorry" email yesterday. [:/]

normiss

Their total ignorance is what I'm having trouble with.

That's because you have unrealistic expectations;)

Around the same time we got a letter from city bank explaining why they couldn't issue the credit card I requested because they needed a physical address besides my PO box.

I never applied for that card, all my mail goes to my PO box. I notified them immediately and all the credit reporting agencies.

When I open any new accounts we have to give them a physical address but caution them not to send mail to that address because stealing mail here is a cottage industry.

No unrealistic expectations here. Credit card was delivered to our physical address. We didn't activate our card, called the CC company they made a minor error and wouldn't activate the card until the error.

Of course the nice person said it was done, and I could use the card immediately and when I got my first statement at the PO box.

I told them I wouldn't activate the card until I received confirmation in the mail at my PO box first.:ph34r:

We don't shred our mail we burn it. Once you put your trash at the curb anyone can take it just like the cops.
We dispose of 20lbs of dog poop in our trash with our food scraps.

Keep you head on a swivel folks, I found out about the trash can situation by reading the weekly paper. Dude takes his trash to the curb, before he gets into the door
a car pulls up pops the trunk empty's the can and drives off.

The dude calls the sheriff with the license number, sheriff response "to bad so sad" once it hits the curb anyone can pick it up.

Our trash can was stolen once:o we found it a mile down the road but no dog poop, just food scraps all over the road. I think when they hit the dog shit they gave up.:ph34r:

R.

Southern_Man

I got the email offering the free credit monitoring service. I did not use target at all during the period of the breach and I am at best an infrequent shopper there. I have no idea how they got my email.

They're probably just spam-blasting those e-mails to everyone, knowing that some percentage of everyone will actually fulfill the criteria of being a Target shopper. And those folks will think of the spam as their saving grace...

I get this kind of crap all the time, with notices about "my FedEx package", and so on. They're just trying to spark your curiousity to get you to open their attachment or give them private info. And they're playing the odds that some folks will take the message personally and seriously.

I don't know if my info was compromised, but my bank sent me a new cc mid-cycle. No explanatory note with it. This was the card I used when I shopped there once during the time period they say was affected.

It makes me wonder if they did that with every one of their customers who shopped there recently. If I was the cc company, that's what I would do. Seems an easier way of dealing with any potential fraud on these accounts--being proactive, that is.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I don't know if we were hit, but we both shopped at Target (with 3 separate cards!) during the breach period.

Bit the bullet straightaway and had new cards issued. PITA, but it was better than having an ID theft, which Laura had about a year ago. Don't want to go through that again.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

oldwomanc6

I don't know if my info was compromised, but my bank sent me a new cc mid-cycle. No explanatory note with it. This was the card I used when I shopped there once during the time period they say was affected.

It makes me wonder if they did that with every one of their customers who shopped there recently. If I was the cc company, that's what I would do. Seems an easier way of dealing with any potential fraud on these accounts--being proactive, that is.

I used a debit card at Target once during the affected period. My bank sent a letter a couple of weeks ago assuring me that I would not be responsible for any fraudulent activity that might occur and that they were going to replace my card. I received the new card (with a new acct. number) a few days ago. I thought that was pretty quick reaction considering the number of cards that were potentially compromised.

Never click any links in E-Mail. If you get a thing you think is from your bank, close your web browser, open a new one and navigate to your bank's web site. I have a link to them on my toolbar so I don't accidentally mistype it.

I didn't get hit by it due to two policies; I don't shop at Target, and I don't shop on black friday :P

I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?