grue

In this thread, we name relatively recent movies that we loathed.

Just about any film with Jim Carrey in a comedic role, since I'm not under age 15. Yeah, he can stretch his face and act like he's the middle school clown. We get it.
To his credit, he was very good in The Truman Show and playing Andy Kaufman (Man on the Moon).

Andy9o8

Just about any film with Jim Carrey in a comedic role, since I'm not under age 15. Yeah, he can stretch his face and act like he's the middle school clown. We get it.
To his credit, he was very good in The Truman Show and playing Andy Kaufman (Man on the Moon).

He was great in A Series of Unfortunate Events.

LuckyMcSwervy

Chernobyl Diaries. I thought the acting sucked. JMHO.

You really do have a knack for this. Straight and to the point.:P

In all seriousness, I find it interesting how the same actor can deliver both amazing performances and crap performances. Wish I could think of an example right now but it escapes me at the moment. I think it’s the director that makes the difference. They have the ability to get that performance. I guess having the ability to pick a good script doesn’t hurt either.

LuckyMcSwervy

***************Great Gatsby.

+1 I don't know what I was expecting but I wasn't expecting it to suck. :|

Great review.:D

:D Thanks. I'll be filling in for the Ebert dude. :P

Can I be Siskel?

Sure! :D

You'd get arrested for digging him up though.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

******************Great Gatsby.

Can I be Siskel?

Why? Is he still dead?

david3

*********************Great Gatsby.

Can I be Siskel?

Why? Is he still dead?

Yeah. But just mostly dead.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

david3

***Chernobyl Diaries. I thought the acting sucked. JMHO.

You really do have a knack for this. Straight and to the point.:P

In all seriousness, I find it interesting how the same actor can deliver both amazing performances and crap performances. Wish I could think of an example right now but it escapes me at the moment. I think it’s the director that makes the difference. They have the ability to get that performance. I guess having the ability to pick a good script doesn’t hurt either.

I'm horrible if I have to explain why I don't like something when it's just me being my weird self. :)
Always be kinder than you feel.

NewGuy2005

***Just about any film with Jim Carrey in a comedic role, since I'm not under age 15. Yeah, he can stretch his face and act like he's the middle school clown. We get it.

He was great in A Series of Unfortunate Events.

And Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. But I guess that wasn't really a comedy, so...

My nomination is for Gravity. I can't say I loathed it, but I did think it was massively overrated.

MikeJD

My nomination is for Gravity. I can't say I loathed it, but I did think it was massively overrated.

I'm okay with watching Sandra Bullock for two hours. ;-)

I loved the scene at the end (spoiler alert!) where she has crash landed into the ocean, swims to shore like a fish, slithers up on the beach like a reptile, rises to all fours like a mammal, and then stands erect bipedal like homo-sapiens. She covered the whole gamut of evolution there in that scene, and I wonder how many people got that comparison.

npgraphicdesign

Red Dawn. No way a bunch of Russians got their ass handed to them by a bunch of Americans, even ones led by Patrick Swayze! :D:D:D

I didn't realize that 1984 was "relatively recent."

The remake was absolutely horrific though.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

***Red Dawn. No way a bunch of Russians got their ass handed to them by a bunch of Americans, even ones led by Patrick Swayze! :D:D:D

I didn't realize that 1984 was "relatively recent."

The remake was absolutely horrific though.

I will take the original any day.

"WOLVERINES!!!" :DB|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

npgraphicdesign

Red Dawn. No way a bunch of Russians got their ass handed to them by a bunch of Americans, even ones led by Patrick Swayze! :D:D:D

Have you ever met the people who live up in the remote small towns here in CO?:o:S:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.