peek

What is the matter with their parents?

So I'm sitting here in my home office at 6:30 AM looking out the window into the dark at the school "bus stop", where some dumb-ass kid is wearing shorts in 20 degree F weather.

I can see how in his undeveloped pea-brain it might the cool thing to do, but where are his parents? Don't they care?

If I ever tried that kind of thing when I was a kid, (which I wouldn't because I don't like the cold), my mother would have thrown a fit.

Edited to add a response to some of the posts: It doesn't seem to be self correcting. He has been wearing shorts all winter. It's just that the 20 degree weather this morning made me finally comment on it.

I would think his parents are smart enough to pick their battles carefully.

Unlike what our parents told us, he won't "catch his death of cold" by standing out there for a short while.
He's going from a warm house to (after a short wait) a warm bus to a warm school.

If he wants to prove how tough (or stupid, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference) he is, let him.

I've been swimming in Lake Michigan a couple times. On January 1st.

This is from this year, I wasn't there.

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=U0&Dato=20140101&Kategori=SHE01&Lopenr=301010189&Ref=PH
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

2yo? I pick the clothes.

4yo? Not much sense of future consequences. Go change.

8yo? Some things are self correcting. Get in the car. We're leaving.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Yep. Only once did I require my son to increase the amount of clothing (yes, even here in Texas it gets cold enough to be uncomfortable sometimes :D). I tossed the jacket that he'd refused to take with him out the window as he waited at the bus stop.

Later I remembered that discomfort for one day was unlikely to kill him.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

peek

So I'm sitting here in my home office at 6:30 AM looking out the window into the dark at the school "bus stop", where some dumb-ass kid is wearing shorts in 20 degree F weather.

I can see how in his undeveloped pea-brain it might the cool thing to do, but where are his parents? Don't they care?

If I ever tried that kind of thing when I was a kid, (which I wouldn't because I don't like the cold), my mother would have thrown a fit.

Hi Mr peek

I dont have any kids but from what I've observed, the parents have given up trying to teach their kids anything.

Why should the parents care? Their tired of arguing with the little shit.These days no telling who the real daddy is.

The funny thing is when you see the parents picking up the bad habits of their children.:S

R.

davjohns

2yo? I pick the clothes.

4yo? Not much sense of future consequences. Go change.

8yo? Some things are self correcting. Get in the car. We're leaving.

This pretty much. We even let our kids pick their own weird hair styles, from mohawks to red punk cuts. They seemed to tire of it quickly enough and return to the norm.

Pick your battles. Choose the things that really matter.

My daughter wears flip flops all year long......we are in VA and we do get a bit cold here. The bus driver mentioned to her one day that she will get frost bite.......

My thought.....she is 14 and capable of watching the weather and choosing her clothes. I would prefer to tell her what is appropriate clothing (I don't want to see your bra through your shirt or butt cheek hanging out) rather then if she wears shorts or long pants. She is old enough to tell if she is cold or hot and will dress to keep herself comfortable.

Schools are controlled but downtown offices and are usually very hot or cold....we don't go to school with them so they are the ones that know what is comfortable to wear. It really has nothing to do with how cool it is.

She is never sick and never had frostbite! It's all good!

I've not personally had a problem with our kids in this regard. We'll tell them to get their gloves, etc., but if they want to freeze their asses off, let 'em!

What I have a problem with are the girls wearing camel-toe pants (yoga pants, etc.) and titties-out tops.

They're great for hookers, but not for teen girls, IMO.

It's an ongoing "fashion" battle here in the Forster household. Might be alone in this, it's hard to tell.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

NovaTTT

...It's an ongoing "fashion" battle here in the Forster household. Might be alone in this, it's hard to tell.

Nope. Not alone, not the first.

I'll bet you won't be the last, either.

My ex had that problem with her daughter.

My folks had that problem with my sister.

Now my sister is having that problem with her daughter.

Fortunately, my sister doesn't 'micromanage' her daughter, so when she 'puts her foot down,' her daughter knows its important.

That's where the 'Pick your battles' becomes important.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

If that was my son I would have shown I cared by saying, "do you know that it's 20 degrees out? Don't you think you should put pants on?", and if he still left the house in shorts I'd just let him go be a dumb ass and freeze all day. They have to learn to think for themselves by trial and error.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

If that was my son I would have shown I cared by saying, "do you know that it's 20 degrees out? Don't you think you should put pants on?", and if he still left the house in shorts I'd just let him go be a dumb ass and freeze all day. They have to learn to think for themselves by trial and error.

Agreed. Reminds me of the stand-up comedian (don't remember his name) who talked about his childhood and having a dad who usually let him figure out by trial and error. Like the day he was fiddling with a plug in the electrical outlet and got a big shock, and he was just laying there when his dad comes over holding his beer and saying "yeah you won't be doing THAT again will ya?" :D

I did the same with my older girl who tried to stand on the arm rest of the recliner chair, which also pivots 360 degrees. It went out from under her and she hit the floor. "You won't be doing that again, will you?" :ph34r:

Biggest problem I have with my 4 year old girl is her running out of the day care, down the steps and into the parking lot or street without a damn care. :o>:(:S I have told her several times sternly to STAY with mommy or me holding our hand from the door to the vehicle, but she still forgets sometimes. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hi Gary

Reality check

Some locals have to drive to Kansas to visit their son.

They didn't watch their son close enough, always got him out of trouble made excuses, rolled the dice and lost.

He fell In with the wrong crowd in Ks and the kid got life. In hindsight they said the first time he got in trouble with the cops they should have let him sit in jail rather than bail him out.

We were all teenagers once, just because they leave the house dressed like their parents told them, no cleavage, camel toe stuff.

How do you know their BFF doesn't have a spare set of cloth's waiting for her on the school bus, or around the corner.:ph34r:

But like a lot of you have said you got to know when to choose your battles. That's why my wife and I chose not to have any children. No unrealistic expectations, no rolling the dice and hoping for the best.

We have our fur babies. A lot more trust worthy.

More reliable than then some snot nosed kid.
Whose is a bully and their parents turn a blind eye. and respond not my baby.:)

The tragedy in Connecticut wasn't the kids fault it was his moms fault. She rolled the dice and a lot of people paid for her poor parenting skills. Mom got off way to easy.

R.

But like a lot of you have said you got to know when to choose your battles. That's why my wife and I chose not to have any children. No unrealistic expectations, no rolling the dice and hoping for the best.

Kids serve no useful purpose in a modern society… if we lived in a primitive form of society it might be socially acceptable to eat the little bustards.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

wolfriverjoe

I would think his parents are smart enough to pick their battles carefully.

Unlike what our parents told us, he won't "catch his death of cold" by standing out there for a short while.
He's going from a warm house to (after a short wait) a warm bus to a warm school.

Unfortunately, my dad who turns 70 next in 27 days, who has as Masters in Electrical Engineering, but a mother who was a nurse STILL thinks he can "catch a cold"....even when it is almost 80 degrees outside. He is simply unable to wear just a t-shirt or other short sleeves and shorts. He would have to go to some tropical destination and have my step-mom pack his bag for him to even attempt to dress appropriate for the weather. I've tried asking him what it means to "catch a chill" (as he says) and he can't really explain it - means something like a cold - but seems to be stuck on this old wives tale.

re: the original post....If a kid has shoes, a shirt or TWO, maybe Gloves, when it's 20...then Not too much to be worried about.
wearing any sort of Hat, would earn BIG bonus points :)

as for "choosing " not to have kids,,, Fine.:|
Not every Adult is capable of what is Much MORE than
bringing up " a snot nosed Kid ":S...and if You're someone who rates OTHER peoples children in THis way.... then it IS best... for you Not to have any..
Only,,, Noone knows how their parenting skills will shine or NOT shine, until they experience all the particulars of raising a Family.... I bristle a little when Non parents take it upon themselves to "critique " those who ARE parents.. It's No easy job and it's full of uncertainty.. But it's ALSO full of great Potential , amazing surprises and bountiful blessings.. Like anything else in life. It IS what you MAKE of it. It takes hard work, flexibility, More hard work, sacrifice, and a damn good bit of Luck...Those who choose NOT to have kids miss out on many Many great moments, memories, accomplishments and opportunities to bask in the feeling of Pride...
BUT if you're happy getting that from the 4-legged members of your clan.... that's Your option.
AS for the woman in CT whom YOU say "got off easy ":S[:/]>:(...SHE was shot DEAD in her home,,,, before the kids rampage wasn't she??? wanna rag on someone???? how about calling out the Father.... where the hell was/is HE in this tragedy???
Parenting....... It AIN'T for the fainthearted......
but it develops character, patience, devotion to OTHERS, a HUGE sense of responsibility and when done well.... Great satisfaction..
.... trust me.:|

jmy

Hi jimmy,

Parenting....... It AIN'T for the fainthearted......

With the exception of your thoughts on woman in CT ( which I choose not to comment on ), I agree absolutely.

Becoming a Daddy ( twice ) was the best thing that ever happened to me.

And now being a 'Gramps' ( recently #2 ) is also a lot of fun, see attached photo.

JerryBaumchen