JerryBaumchen

Favorite Authors

Hi out there,

I'm currently reading SYCAMORE ROW by John Grisham. I've read all of his fiction stuff; he is one author that just grabs my attention and won't let go.

Others being:

Edgar Allen Poe
Joe Wambaugh ( THE ONION FIELD is my favorite book)
Michael Connelly
Zane Grey ( as a child )
William Manchester ( but not all of his works )

How about you out there in BF-Land?

JerryBaumchen

There aren't many who I read more than one book from (fickle mind and all), but Chuck Palahniuk is the first to come to mind. His book "Choke" is one of my faves of all time, but also "Rant" and "Lullaby." He's most famous for "Fight Club," but I haven't read that yet.

Just finished my first book by John Fante and immediately ordered another of his, so I'll add him to the list.

Elmer Kelton's another who I've enjoyed several books from, and I've only read one Zane Grey, but would definitely read more of his.

Was reading a lot of Anne Rice, but got burned out, so I've had three unfinished books of hers sitting on my shelves for years.

Guy Gavriel Kay
Charles Dickens
Neal Stephenson
Mark Helprin
Tad Williams
Edgar Allen Poe

also on the lighter side of things, George RR Martin (god I hope he finishes a Song of Ice and Fire), Terry Brooks, and Stephen King.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I used to read Dean Koontz regularly. I noticed all of his novels follow a pattern. Good foundation, methodical character development, build up of suspense, interesting story line...

Then, I think his editor calls and complains he's taking too long.

Last chapter: aliens drop out of the sky, or hyper advanced science devices appear, or someone develops a super-power...everything is resolved. The end.

Can you get whiplash from reading a book?
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I read so much dry, legal stuff on a daily basis that I tend to go really trashy and easy reading for entertainment:

James Patterson
Carl Hiassen
Janet Evanovich
Jackie Collins - Loved her trashy books forever!
NJ Legislators

I also love non-fiction related to prostitution and the mafia.
Always be kinder than you feel.

Morning, Jerry

Grisham lost me with his apparent agenda and lackluster plot lines at "The Chamber." First three books were great mystery novels.

Love reading biographies and autobiographies.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Hi Keith,

Love reading biographies

I like reading bios of famous people. On my bookshelf I have:

STALIN by Montefiore

NAPOLEON by Castelot

AMERICAN CAESAR by Manachester ( bio of Douglas MacArthur )

I have read quite a few others but these were so good that I kept them.

JerryBaumchen

PS) As a retireee, I rarely buy a book anymore. I have found the local library is my friend. :P

Currently reading "Dance of the Reptiles" by Hiaasen, a collection of his Miami Herald articles...funny AND will piss you off at the same time.

Anything by James Lee Burke, great mystery/crime writer. Any of his Dave Robicheaux books are worth a read.

Christopher Moore, very funny and prolific guy. "Fluke" is a personal favorite.

Nate Silver's "The Signal and the Noise", if you want to know why every financial and political pundit in any media is basically full of shit. :)

Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

Neil Gaiman
Haruki Murakami
John Le Carre
Raymond Chandler
James Ellroy
Ernest Hemingway

From the surreal and whimsical (Gaiman/Murakami) to the romantic and heroic (Hemingway/Chandler) to the dark and gritty (Chandler/Le Carre) to the absolutely twisted and completely fucked up (Ellroy).
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

John D MacDonald
Thomas Harris (the Lecter books and Red Dragon)
Jeffrey Archer

Lifelong devotee of Stephen King, but I think Michael Crichton is the best writer ever. Not only is his work incredible, but his research was impeccable. Every one of his books spurred me to learn more about whatever subject he was writing about.

And another vote for Manchester. The Glory and the Dream is a fantastic accounting of American life in the middle of the last century.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

JerryBaumchen

Hi Keith,

Love reading biographies

I like reading bios of famous people. On my bookshelf I have:

STALIN by Montefiore

NAPOLEON by Castelot

AMERICAN CAESAR by Manachester ( bio of Douglas MacArthur )

I have read quite a few others but these were so good that I kept them.

JerryBaumchen

PS) As a retireee, I rarely buy a book anymore. I have found the local library is my friend. :P

Morning, Jerry

ABOUT FACE - Hackworth
MY AMERICAN JOURNEY - Powell

Well, there's a long list of Military auto/biographies. I seem to have gone through these phases in life of a specific genre until I saturate myself to the next genre. It seems to go in 3 year phases - for example; Mythology, Animals, Business, Mystery, History, Computer Science. Law, Government, Medical Science, etc. As I look at my bookshelves... I have categorized them by genre. Guess I've always been a bit of a research buff.

A for the public library, I was a voracious reader and at 5 years old, I still remember a personal pinnacle for me was the day my mother took me to get my first library card. Such a vivid memory. I can tell you where the sun was in the sky that day and the sounds I heard. The smell of the library, the lady giving me the card, what she was wearing and her overview of the Dewey Decimal system. I was in heaven. Whenever I wasn't where I was supposed to be... my mother would come collect me up from the library. :D Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.