grue

So do you assholes only watch the summer olympics, or what?

grue

There's been some good stuff already at these olympics, if you haven't been watching, you're missing out! B|

Two of the the three sisters from Montreal in Moguls winning both gold and silver in the same event was pretty sweet.

The Swiss female hockey goaltender deserved every accolade she got after backstopping her team in the 5-0 loss to Canada. If anybody else had been between the pipes, the score would have been more like 17-0.

Speaking of the Swiss, I am breaking ranks with my countrymen in one specific event and am cheering for Team Davos - Ott (Mirjam, Janine, and both Carmen's) again in Curling. They always stop at my hangar every year here in Vernon, Canada for a great visit, drinks and BBQ, so I have a personal connection with them.

The best thing about being an Olympic junkie is getting to enjoy many of the lesser-known sports, both summer & winter Games.

John

CanuckInUSA

Streaming it LIVE right now online

Live? Really? because it's 11:00 pm in Sochi right now. I was not aware that the Olympics athletes competed in the middle of the night during the games.

I was up early... watched the finals of the Team skating... Canada took Silver by the way... And watched the Mens Luge... German guy Gold... Ruski.... Silver..

And watched the Polish guy win the Normal hill.... Well after Dark.. there.. earlier today.. But go ahead... and try arguing.. at the drop of a ... well anything

I know you :D:D

Need a tissue???:ph34r:

Yeah I grew up absolutely certain I was going to play Olympic and/or NHL hockey. Didn't end up happening unfortunately, but I went to boarding school for hockey, and played through college.

Several of my high school teammates are in the NHL now, several played in the Olympics as well. One of them, a few years younger, is playing this year. He was a douchebag back then, but the kid could skate. I won't pretend for a moment I'm not exceptionally jealous of all of them.
cavete terrae.

ryoder

Wait a sec: isn't Silje Norendal from Norway? Jenny Jones is the Brit who won the bronze.

Yep, they were two seperate statements.

Jenny Jones is hot and won a medal, Norendal is just ridiculously freakin' hot.

DAYUM! https://www.google.com/search?q=Norendal&espv=210&es_sm=119&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=09n3Uu_2JMPmyQH1sYGoAg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1231&bih=1035:)
Good lord. I'd explore her slopes and pipes.
cavete terrae.

grue

Yeah I grew up absolutely certain I was going to play Olympic and/or NHL hockey. Didn't end up happening unfortunately, but I went to boarding school for hockey, and played through college.

Several of my high school teammates are in the NHL now, several played in the Olympics as well. One of them, a few years younger, is playing this year. He was a douchebag back then, but the kid could skate. I won't pretend for a moment I'm not exceptionally jealous of all of them.

That's pretty cool!!!

I dated a NHL player back in the day, which was a Wednesday by the way, and he was a douche bag as well. But I can't speak ill of the dead. :S
Always be kinder than you feel.

I won't pretend for a moment I'm not exceptionally jealous of all of them.

I used to ski patrol at Lake Louise and whenever the White Circus (the World Cup) came to town I would volunteer to work the races because not only could you see the best skier racers in the world up close, every once in a while we got to rub elbows with them and perhaps show them some of the lessor known local favorite runs when they were free skiing. I could sort of keep up to the women but there was no hope in hell with matching the pace of the men. Those guys were seriously fast. It was amazing to watch and yes I was also jealous of their abilities. But these guys and gals have sacrificed a lot to get to the elite levels of competition.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

CanuckInUSA

I won't pretend for a moment I'm not exceptionally jealous of all of them.

I used to ski patrol at Lake Louise and whenever the White Circus (the World Cup) came to town I would volunteer to work the races because not only could you see the best skier racers in the world up close, every once in a while we got to rub elbows with them and perhaps show them some of the lessor known local favorite runs when they were free skiing. I could sort of keep up to the women but there was no hope in hell with matching the pace of the men. Those guys were seriously fast. It was amazing to watch and yes I was also jealous of their abilities. But these guys and gals have sacrificed a lot to get to the elite levels of competition.

B|

When I was at uni, a couple of NHL players lived in town during the off-season and word got around that I was a goalie that was at least respectable in the skill categories. One day I got a call during the summer from one of them who asked if I wanted to get some ice time with 'em so they could keep the edge honed, so to speak . I will never, EVER forget the first time I was on the business end of an NHL slapshot :D

I must have done at least ok though, because it became a regular thing, I was basically the personal goalie for 3 summers B|
cavete terrae.

You a goalie? Cool. Good goalies are always a valuable commodity to have around. Back when I was young buck playing some pretty competitive hockey myself we would always let our goalies play for free and the rest of the positional players would pay a little extra to ensure our goalies were happy (of course the goalies were never really happy, goalies are a strange lot ... haha).

Summer hockey was great. It's when all the players are home for the off season and still looking to stay in game shape. In the summer of '89 I hooked up with a group of really talented players, mostly college caliber with a couple of pros home from Europe. But we had one NHLer playing with us. Normand Lacombe who played for the Edmonton Oilers. It was a real wake up call for the rest of us to see where we stood against an NHLer. One of the pros who played in Europe was faster than Normand, but Normand was the complete package. He had the size, he was a great skater, he could obviously handle the puck and he by far had the best shot out of all of us and Lacombe was just a 3rd line NHLer. I can only imagine what it must have been like playing with someone like Gretzky.

When you were swimming did you get up early thirty to go to the pool to get in some extra lap time? Did your folks have to drive you to the pool at that hr when they would have rather stayed in bed?

I can understand the Olympian whom you met being disappointed in not getting a Gold medal. Athletes compete to win. Even if I would compete and get a best time, I'd still be a little disappointed if I did place well.

As far as the workouts, I didn't get up early just to get extra lap time, it was required. My brothers and I got up at 4:15 every weekday morning to make it to the 5:00-6:30 practice for either swimming or weightlifting training. Then we went straight to school. After school, we went back to the pool to practice from 2:00-4:30 and then we went home to do homework. My parents required us to be in bed by 9:00, or else we couldn't practice. On weekends there would be a straight 3 hour workout. We got Sunday off.

I started swimming at age 8, and that was my life from age 12-20. All that dedication shaped who I am as a person today and it definitely kept my brothers and me out of trouble. We were too tired to get into trouble! :ph34r: As far as driving, the parents had a carpool, but once the kids turned 16, most of us got a car so we could drive ourselves around. The cars were more for the parents than the kids!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

wayneflorida

I don't have TV, but what coverage I have seen here and there over the years, it is like canned ham.

That is why the live streams are such a joy... its raw unedited as it happens.... with better vantage points... and you are not freezing your ass off.

Or you can do this...

http://stream.nbcolympics.com/snowboard/winter/13753/

I like the ski jumping , luge and bobsled but don't like having to muddle through the skating and other crap to get to it so I don't watch when i should and miss all the good stuff.

I check in once in a while to see whats on and if interested I watch.

That is why the live streams are such a joy

Agreed. The webstreams whether they are live or recorded are the way to watch the games. You can watch them on your own schedule and all video of the events from the games comes from the same source. All the video footage comes from the Olympics Broadcasting Corporation. It's just the audio that the various national networks piggy back on top of.

As a former ski racer (nothing hardcore, just local club level stuff) I thoroughly enjoy all the Men's and Women's alpine racing. Yesterday was the Women's Super Combined race and while the racer I was cheering for Slovenia's Tina Maze made a small mistake on her slalom run costing her a medal by only a tenth of a second, the quality of the racers whether they are competing for wins or bringing up the rear is outstanding. The FIS does a good job in ensuring only qualified athletes are allowed to compete and thus reduce the chance of injury. However the same could not be said for a new event. The snowboard slopestyle events were good. But the ski slopestyle was not so good. At least Women's ski slopestyle. The top girls seemed to have good skills, but those at the back of the pack looked like they were just learning how to ski. On top of that there were some nasty crashes with a number of girls hurting themselves. If the competitor was too fast off of the jump they crashed and burned and if they were too slow they also crashed and burned. I don't want to slam these girls, but something was very wrong with this event.

The Men's Ice Hockey tournament starts tomorrow and a number of different countries can win this one. Canada, Russia, USA, Sweden, Czechs and Finland. Whoever's goalie gets hot will likely take home the glory and bragging rights.