LuckyMcSwervy

Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead

kallend

Hard to feel any sympathy for the guy.

Hmm. Reads like one of those comments you see on news stories about skydiving fatalities.
We are quite sure he's dead, pretty damn sure (pending autopsy) it was due to an OD on illegal drugs, and I find it quite credible that more was found in his apartment.
I see little parallel to skydiving.
How about swooping?
Last time I checked, Heroin was illegal in all US states and almost all nations.
Do you not empathize with an individual if they died BASE jumping in a National Park? Let's say for instance, Jan Davis.
Does illegality really toggle your empathy subroutine?
Are you confusing BASE with swooping now?

You brought the concept of illegality into the situation. The analogy in the skydiving world is BASE in a National Park.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Many addicts are actually self-medicating for underlying issues that aren't addictive personality. I am very sympathetic to that part of the issue.

This!

Not using heroin is a very normal and healthy decision.

But, who here can say that in a moment of weakness we haven't made a bad decision in our life? Now add phsychological, and in some case physical factors into the equasion.

So easy to be "holier than thou".

I think it's sad that someone who purported to be PSH's good friend and gay lover would out him to the world in this way, so soon. The family may have known but why throw additional fuel on the fire so soon? Who talks to the rag mags for free? My guess is this man didn't.

Oh well. :|

Always be kinder than you feel.

PLFKING

Static or current?

Current, please.....and in laymans' terms.

And if you could use sock puppets it would help.

Don

Certainly sir.

"School House Rock" layman enough for you?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Nice. Louie the Lightningbug was another advocate of safe use of electricity.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Andy9o8

***There are some lines I will never cross.

But those lines shift depending on age, development of judgment, experience, maturity. Here - hold my beer and watch This.

There are lines I hope to never cross. I have crossed too many lines in the past to say definitively that I am strong enough to not cross others.

These things are easy to say when you have not tested your limits...or had them tested for you.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

******There are some lines I will never cross.

But those lines shift depending on age, development of judgment, experience, maturity. Here - hold my beer and watch This.

There are lines I hope to never cross. I have crossed too many lines in the past to say definitively that I am strong enough to not cross others.

These things are easy to say when you have not tested your limits...or had them tested for you.

This!

Shotgun

Ridding poison of impurities is still making me laugh. :D:D

People do a lot of things to rid alcoholic beverages of "impurities." And yet ethanol is still a poison. Just saying... :P

Not to worry;
In the first stage of metabolism, it is converted to acetaldehyde.:)Oh, wait;:$
That's also a poison.:S
Never mind.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

That's also a poison.

Depending on the partial pressure, so is oxygen. Let's not get too hung up on the word "poison" since it's the quantity that matters and not so much the substance itself.
quade -

quade

***That's also a poison.

Depending on the partial pressure, so is oxygen. Let's not get too hung up on the word "poison" since it's the quantity that matters and not so much the substance itself.

Well, acetaldehyde is what makes a person sick after too much ethanol ingestion, and is a suspected carcinogen.

Also, a certain portion of the population has very low levels of the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase which is needed to convert the acetaldehyde to harmless acetic acid. About 20% of the Asian population has this trait (see "Asian Flush"). For them, drinking means getting sick. For those who drink anyway, there is an elevated risk of esophageal cancer.

The effect is simulated by the drug disulfiram (aka Antabuse) prescribed to alcoholics to keep them from drinking.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

quade

***That's also a poison.

True. In the right quantity, even heroin has a beneficial use without necessarily being "poisonous."

ryoder

Well, acetaldehyde is what makes a person sick after too much ethanol ingestion, and is a suspected carcinogen.

Again, the same sort of thing can be said about oxygen. Taking in too much (100% at >2 atmospheres) can kill you and it is a carcinogen as well!

The key in both statements is "too much."

This is also the difference between say, alcohol and marijuana. The lethal dose, milligrams per kilogram, of alcohol is pretty easy to achieve; drink a lot and drink quickly. The lethal dose of marijuana is difficult if not impossible to achieve. Obviously the lethal dose of heroin is all too easy to achieve.
quade -

Decent actor.

Not surprising that a very creepy man was successful playing very creepy roles, though.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants