markus71

Accident by jumping the Atom millenium????

:)
Hi everybody,

I am a skydiver from Switzerland. Back in '99 I had an accident by jumping the new Atom millenium 000. I broke my spinal cord and am paralysed since then. But I started to jump again this year. Now I have a question: As I heard there occured several accidents like mine in this time. All by jumping the new Atom millenium. That's why Parachute de France called it back and all owners of this container had to install a deflector flap. Do you know of any jumpers who had the same accident??

Thanks an keep jumping
mp

New Year's 2000, I was working in the loft at Perris Valley, California. A French jumper brought in an ATOM Millennium with a torn top flap. Over the next few days, I convinced Parachutes de France to FAX me instructions for installing a deflector flap.

It's a small flap sewn onto the container just below the bottom of the reserve flap on a rig where the reserve flap closes down. You may have seen them on some CRW rigs to help prevent lines etc from opening the reserve flap or pushing the pin out.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

My rig (Atom Classic) has one, see pic. It's the black piece of fabric underneath/over the reserve flap, it helps deflect lines when doing CREW, or deflect air when sit-flying. My Atom is fairly old, the newer ones have the tuck-in flap. Haven't seen a Millenium up close, though I'd think it strange if these did NOT have a tuck-in design of some kind? Or is the reserve flap too short to properly tuck away or something, seen that on some javelins.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

It's protecting the reserve-flap.
Someone at my club has got the same thing on her Atom (93'-ish)
You see this kind of contraption on a lot of static-line containers as well, for obvious reasons.
"Don't make me come down there" - God.

My site:http://www.skystudio.nl/video.html
Some of my vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/TomSkyStudio

It's a small flap sewn onto the container just below the bottom of the reserve flap on a rig where the reserve flap closes down. You may have seen them on some CRW rigs to help prevent lines etc from opening the reserve flap or pushing the pin out.

Aha! Thanks for that explanation. Yeah, I've seen those before. I just didn't know there was a fancy name for them.

I jump the Atom millenium build in 2000.
the deflector flap is a flap in the main container that is suposed to eliminate the poss..of the lines from the main to catch and lock the main flap.
and ripping your reserve container off from your rig wath happened with my friend N L.
He landed the reserve but his rig was destroid.
after this incident the deflector flap is introduced.
He did get a new rig with 50 percent off.
sold it becouse of gear fear.
he jumps a jevelin now.
this year it happened again with a rig that was not modyfied.
also a verry exprienced dutch jumper involved.
and pulling it off.
I've done 2000 on my Atom millenium now in 4 years.
I have to admid , it is a verry good rig, exelent cutting remains its chape and safe after the deflector.
Techno reserve is the best reserve i'v ever jumped.
The fenche know what jumping is..
The ninja was a problem child...
If you fly the ninja 2 , .....the openings are the best....the best.... 100 % on heading and soft in 500 ft.
open on your back and it will open on heading.
how can that be ,... perfect!!!!
did 200 jumps on it... 1 and 2.
no top swooper but i think it is the best canopy ever build for the verry..verry experienced.
the ninja is not the canopy for the the velocity guys.
It is a canopy disigned only for the best!!!
learn to flare!
If you are free flying and camera you will love it!!!
bad name!!!
bad name!!!
Pdf good stuff!

But my next rig will be an Icon from earodyne wath will be the best rig in the future.....time will tel.

mel
pd velocity
pdf the Atom millenium
techno reserve
Tandem master nr:169
Freeflyer
Allround cameraman
Base 791
2000 + jumps

Sorry for my bad language in ingl.

thank you for your post. Is it possible to get in touch with you, or with the skydivers your were wrtiting about?? It would be very helpful. Please let me know your or there phone number or mailadress...

Sounds like a law-suit in the offing...:S

If not, I humbly apologise...:)
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies