dropdeded

Pet Euthanasia

Got a couple more days with him here, gonna spoil his ass.

Enjoy every second. So sorry you have to say goodbye so soon.

We had Molly (my/our 14 year old Border Collie) cremated. She's been in a box for over a year now. Our plan is to take her to our favorite local wilderness and let her go... someday. I'm not quite ready yet.

kcjen24

be there with him when he's euthanized, for his comfort. You are all that matters to him.

^^^THIS. I had my 20 year old cat put to sleep a couple of years ago. Being there when she died was one of the hardest, yet best things. She knew I was there and I hope it brought her comfort.

Hugs to you and your fur baby.

Did the same thing for my 13 year old rodent terrorist the Monday after last Christmas. He was probably the best cat I had in his own way. Chronic Kidney disease sucks. Quit eating 2 weeks before and I knew it was time. He knew it too. Didn't even put up a fight or anything. So I just stood there hunched over him stroking his back while the tranquilizer took effect and the vet came in for the heart shot.

It's extremely emotional even though you know it's the right thing to do.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I kept my cat's ashes... what I really treasure is his pawprint, though. The veterinary assistant made a mold of it for me.

When I had to put Anakin down, he had been at the vet hospital for almost a week, and my other cat, Indy, kept wandering around looking for him. I think one of the best things we did was bring him to the vet's office and let him be there also. He gave Anakin a cuddle, and then the vet gave Ani the shot. After, Indy gave him a sniff and recognized he wasn't there anymore and walked back into his carrier. He was obviously lonely at home, but he stopped looking for his buddy. I think it really helped him, because that way his friend didn't just disappear.

This is so sad to hear. It's never easy to say goodbye to a furry friend, but at such a young age, it's even worse.

It sounds like you are putting his needs first, as it should be. It's harder for you, but the right thing to do.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a "house call" vet. I don't know if you have one near you, but when I had to put my dog down a year and a half ago, I knew I didn't want to take him to the vet's office for it. He absolutely hated that place, and I didn't want his last few minutes to be spent in that kind of terror.
We have a vet in the area that makes house calls. It wasn't cheap, but money really didn't matter at that point. He came to the house, hit him with a heavy sedative and waited until he was out to put the final shot in. It was in my arms, on his couch, in the house he knew and was comfortable in.

It was hard as hell to do, but I knew it was the right thing.

My heart goes out to you.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

This is so sad to hear. It's never easy to say goodbye to a furry friend, but at such a young age, it's even worse.

It sounds like you are putting his needs first, as it should be. It's harder for you, but the right thing to do.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a "house call" vet. I don't know if you have one near you, but when I had to put my dog down a year and a half ago, I knew I didn't want to take him to the vet's office for it. He absolutely hated that place, and I didn't want his last few minutes to be spent in that kind of terror.
We have a vet in the area that makes house calls. It wasn't cheap, but money really didn't matter at that point. He came to the house, hit him with a heavy sedative and waited until he was out to put the final shot in. It was in my arms, on his couch, in the house he knew and was comfortable in.

It was hard as hell to do, but I knew it was the right thing.

My heart goes out to you.

This is what we did for both Gia and Diego; I held them on my lap and patted them for hours, the vet came by, we spend a little more time just patting them and then we allowed them to pass peacefully with our faces as their final memories of life. It was heartbreaking, but they lived in our home, and I wanted them to move to the next life in our home. Its what I would want for myself, i'd do them no different.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

Was killing me to think about leaving him here when we relocate in the near future to (hopefully) Northern Idaho. He was such a big part of our future life there. Now Im a bit more comfortable knowing he is going with us.

Local Vet is going to do this tonight after hours, and agreed to performing the euthanasia out in my truck. That back seat is one of his favorite places in the world!! LOVED road trippin' with the family!

I expressed my concerns with the final returned remains "is that really my dogs remains in there". I was reassured at length that he will be sent to a very reputable facility, only place Vet will use... Its not realistic for me to go there personally for several reasons so I just have to overcome my suspicious nature I guess.

Again, thanks for the support and true understanding, its appreciated.
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

dropdeded

Was killing me to think about leaving him here when we relocate in the near future to (hopefully) Northern Idaho. He was such a big part of our future life there. Now Im a bit more comfortable knowing he is going with us.

Local Vet is going to do this tonight after hours, and agreed to performing the euthanasia out in my truck. That back seat is one of his favorite places in the world!! LOVED road trippin' with the family!

I expressed my concerns with the final returned remains "is that really my dogs remains in there". I was reassured at length that he will be sent to a very reputable facility, only place Vet will use... Its not realistic for me to go there personally for several reasons so I just have to overcome my suspicious nature I guess.

Again, thanks for the support and true understanding, its appreciated.

I can not speak for all places but they were very up front about the difference between "group" and "single" animals. I told him I'd pay for a whole days worth of cremations if he could make sure we got only our felines' ashes, he said "no need to overpay, I do this for everyone". My vet was like yours and reassured us "I'd have mine there because I know they do this". I'd trust your vet, last thing they want is to be the bad guy, and vets are a special kind of people (probably more compassionate than most human doctors...)

That is wonderful that your vet will accomodate you in that way... you are doing the last kind thing you will be able to do for your faithful friend. He will appreicate it both in this life and the next. We should all be so fortunate to have that much love given to us in our lives and in our passing. It is the right thing, the kind thing.
You are not the contents of your wallet.