dropdeded

Pet Euthanasia

Because its sunday and they are not there to answer my questions....

I always thought people that had a pet "put to sleep" and then requested to have the cremated remains returned to them were just a little bit, well, off. Always felt it was just a little much...

I will be having my most loyal friend euthanized later this week and really am putting a lot of thought into having his cremated remains returned to me. This one is tough. We have done everything we can for him and its time. My thoughts were of course just how much does it cost and how sure can you be its your pets remains?? Im gonna discuss this with our local vet in the morning but just wondering if this is right. Small town, no idea if cremation is done elsewhere etc. Just a thought.....
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I went to the local vet in my small town and they took care of all aspects.
The cost depends on the pets weight. I have had to put to sleep two dogs one was around 100lbs and it was around $320, our other dog was 44 lbs and it ran $244. We were asked if we wanted to stay with them during it and we did. They will give than a shot to put them to sleep and then about 10 Minutes later they will give them the shot to put them down. On the first one I was not sure weather I wanted the ashes or not so I choose to have them and I am glad I did. The remains came in a nicely decorated box with her name on it. It is a very tough thing to go through but IMHO it is what my family deserves
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Ed,
First I would like to say how sorry I am that you are having to go through this. I went though this a year ago and it felt like loosing a beloved family member. I didn't have his remains cremated, I buried him in a very nicely kept burial spot, with a grave marker, in my back yard under a bird feeder. My feelings about this are to do what your heart tells you. It is highly likely you will never regret doing it, but you might if you don't.
To answer your question about where do have it done. Local funeral homes will do pet cremations in my area but it will depend on your local laws whether they allow it or not. Otherwise you might have to find a pet specific crematoria. I hope this helps.

Yeah done this way way too many times never gets easier. Just never thought of keeping the remains. He's a 4 year old 115 lb. German Shepherd. Honestly not too terribly concerned with the $$, I really put a lot of that into giving him a chance, unfortunately the quality of life is rapidly diminishing.
The Dude Abides.
-

Our last one was a lab/German shepard mix, she was 12 years old and had alot of pain from hip issues. We tried pain meds and they worked For awhile but then she started vomiting the pills up. My wife had a very hard time letting go but after about three weeks of it she had lost 10 lbs and one morning my wife called me at work and said it was time. She took care of it and stayed with her till the end. Our other dog I took care of so that my wife would not have to go through it. To my surprise my wife said in the end it was difficult but it helped her to be there at the end and gave her closer.
this kind of thing really sucks, sorry you are going through it
Kirk
He's dead Jim

So sorry Ed.
I lost my 14 year old Golden a year ago this past Christmas. I still think about her daily. She had a great life and brought instant happiness to everyone she touched.
I live remote, and I contacted my vet (who vaccinated her as a puppy and treated her as needed). She had a pet crematory that they used approx. 100 miles away and she saw to it. I picked up her ashes from the vet's office and was also given a round clay imprint of her front paw. The cost was $250.00.
I put half her ashes in some woods we hunted a lot and the other half in a lake that we spent a lot of time in/on.
Damn, they just NEVER live long enough!

We put to sleep 3 of our dogs in last year. Yeah, I know that seems like a lot, but we raise service dogs and when they don't graduate we are offered the option of taking them back as a personal pet and we sometimes take them back. Don't worry about the one's we don't take back, there is a 2 year waiting list of prescreened people to adopt them!
Anyway, we usually have them cremated and the ashes returned. We then spread the ashes on our ranch so they are always at "home". It is usually $2-300 for the cremation and it's worth it to us. As far as the euthanization, if you want to see what is almost exactly like what actually happens watch the movie "Marley and me". They inject a strong sedative and then inject the euthanization drug when they are ready. It's very quick and you can elect to be there or not. We always are there for them in the end and to say goodbye!

sorry to hear this,

I literally just had to have my Rottweiler put down yesterday. We found out in December she had bone cancer in her leg and chest.

Anyway, we didn't have the remains returned to us, but our local SPCA will do individual cremations upon request for an extra fee, not sure how much that is.

To have our 90 lb rottie put down it was only $70 which really surprised me, again not sure how much it would be for the individual cremation

About a year and a half ago now I lost 2 of my life companions (cats) that were with me for 10 years. One developed a brain tumour and although we tried to have it removed and considered options, he was just getting worse and we had to allow him to leave live while he was still not in too much distress. After that our other cat simply stopped eating and 2 weeks later we were back in the same situation. We elected to do both of ours in our home (some vets will do this) with us holding them as they passed out of this life. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, but it was the right thing to do.

After the vet left, a few days later they presented us with a small box containing their ashes with a plaster mold of their pawprint. I cried for so long and couldn't imagine why I would keep it around. But instead I made a small space on my dresser where I put a picture of them and their ashes. Sometimes I talk to them when I need a confidant (I used to talk to them all the time when I needed to open up and humans wouldn't be able to provide the unending listening I needed), and sometimes I just remove the dust and remember all the great times.

I asked my vet "how do we know it is our pet" and they said the crematorium they use only does one pet at a time. Some out there do place several at a time and divide the ashes, so you may need to ask how they do it but it is usually disclosed.

I can't speak to cost, I just went in a couple weeks later and gave them a card and told them I didn't want the receipt. It was not much money though.

I know this must be incredibly hard for you. Although some people won't understand, anyone who has ever had a pet they loved realize that its like losing a child, sibling, parent. They are our family. You're doing the right thing though. I was always told "I'd know" when the right time was, and it is true. Its the last and kindest thing you can do for your furry loved one.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

My sympathies are with you during this time. The most recent was my cat of 18 years who passed on Superbowl Sunday/Groundhog's Day.

I know how hard a decision to do this is. I've never had any of them cremated, just the remains returned to us and then we buried them. I know that this is not always possible, depending on the area, but it was a comfort to do this little thing for them. Enough so, that when our daughter was in college in Indiana and her cat died, she had him frozen in order to bring him home to bury.

This is not an anti-cremation post at all, merely it has not come up in our family.

My thoughts are with you, and I hope you find some comfort.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Hi, I'm sorry are going through this. It's the hardest thing to go through. If you are unsure of the cremation route, there is one silly thing my family has done that helped us. We asked the vet to shave a little hair from the belly of my cat Autumn and the tush of our golden retriever, Molson. We asked for the hair prior to the euthanasia. The we put some hair inside a picture frame with their photograph. That way we have a reminder of them along with a picture of when they were healthy and having fun. When Autumn passed last year, it cost less than $120 for everything including cremation. Sorry you are going through this :(

Part of the reason Im considering cremation is we wont be here to much longer. We live in the mountains, huge yard, forest we all love literally 50 ft. out our front door. Already picked a burial spot but thinking I'd like to have him with us when we move.
Another issue is his "sister", a big giant spaz of a Bernese Mountain Dog. She's already doing the distancing thing as expected, but definitely going to have to find her another companion.
Its funny but I have "put down" many pets, but this ones tougher for whatever reason. I would guess Im a bit more emotionally "retarded" after 11 years on an ambulance in a 911 system where for the most part I have learned to deal with brief glimpses of human tragedy. As previously mentioned, this is family. I have not previously had the means to pursue a better outcome like I do now but I have attempted to throw money at this to no avail. He went to a top notch Los Angeles veterinary hospital, had a bunch of tests done that revealed a mass in his spinal cord that did not respond to IV antibiotics and although didn't show as cancerous, was treated with no success with pill form chemo. He's only 4 fucking years old, which was his best shot. He tries, he really does. We used slings to assist his now useless back legs and that is now very painful getting him up. Bought boots for his rear toes curling under, bad. I bought a very expensive canine "wheelchair" with hopes he could enjoy walks, very painful until he's actually in it (had small successes). No urine or bowel control and he HATES it.

Anyways, I guess Im just kinda venting now....

Ok
The Dude Abides.
-

he HATES it

Yeah, you're right. And I'm sorry you guys (and he) are going through it. You'll do what's right for you, knowing that as long as you're with him, he'll trust you to do right by him.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The reason my dog's
<------
ashes were returned to me - is because I was given the choice of "group" cremation or "individual". I asked, what happens if I did the cheaper group option? Answer - the ashes would be sent to the landfill, not even a group grave or dumped in a park or hole out back or anything...

I just could not handle that. So I gladly paid the increased fee.

He will be spread in his favorite park. I planted a tree, and if it survives in the tough conditions in that park, it will be his tree. Otherwise, it will be where hundreds of other dogs play fetch with their humans. So much better than the landfill. He was in my life for 10 years... I would feel bad if my car was crushed and sent to a landfill after driving it for 10 years, my dog is much more important and deserved more, and the difference in cost was insignificant so it was a no-brainer.

So I would ask about your vet's cremation's service provider's procedures, as maybe they have a great solution that you might like - like maybe a group cremation with something other than the landfill where you can feel you gave your pet the respect you clearly show you give it.

Sorry for your loss.

My heart goes out to you, though I know - no words anyone can say makes any of this easier on you.

Personally I prefer to bury. We too live in the woods so when the time came, I found a large old tree with shade...sewed a shroud from his blanket and placed my ole buddy there.

The remains were of course covered with dirt & then blanket of river stones the family gathered. It marks the spot and protects him from the wildlife.

His tree is a two minute peaceful stroll out back, I didn't want to see the spot every time I looked outside but wanted it available when I need a minute so say hi & catch up.

Figure in the 15 years we had each other he helped me grow...now he's helping a grand old Water Oak grow a little too.

Peace & strength to your family.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

So sorry about your situation, it's always tough.

We get adopted by senior greyhounds, 9 over the last 7 years, needless to say we've had to help 6 of them into forever land. We choose to cremate them individually and pick out some kind of urn reflecting their color and attitude. I know it's more for us and not them, but it's just what we prefer to do in honoring them.

That being said, it's strictly personal, what makes you comfortable…we hope smiles & fond memories replace the grief quickly.

dropdeded

Part of the reason Im considering cremation is we wont be here to much longer. We live in the mountains, huge yard, forest we all love literally 50 ft. out our front door. Already picked a burial spot but thinking I'd like to have him with us when we move.
Another issue is his "sister", a big giant spaz of a Bernese Mountain Dog. She's already doing the distancing thing as expected, but definitely going to have to find her another companion.
Its funny but I have "put down" many pets, but this ones tougher for whatever reason. I would guess Im a bit more emotionally "retarded" after 11 years on an ambulance in a 911 system where for the most part I have learned to deal with brief glimpses of human tragedy. As previously mentioned, this is family. I have not previously had the means to pursue a better outcome like I do now but I have attempted to throw money at this to no avail. He went to a top notch Los Angeles veterinary hospital, had a bunch of tests done that revealed a mass in his spinal cord that did not respond to IV antibiotics and although didn't show as cancerous, was treated with no success with pill form chemo. He's only 4 fucking years old, which was his best shot. He tries, he really does. We used slings to assist his now useless back legs and that is now very painful getting him up. Bought boots for his rear toes curling under, bad. I bought a very expensive canine "wheelchair" with hopes he could enjoy walks, very painful until he's actually in it (had small successes). No urine or bowel control and he HATES it.

Anyways, I guess Im just kinda venting now....

Ok

I've been in healthcare for 15 years now, started in EMS and then as an ER Doc where death is easily part of the job. I had to take a sabbatical after my cats passed. I was a mess for weeks. No matter what you see or what you are used to, losing a pet is one of the hardest things we will endure. But allowing your loved one to not suffer is the best thing you can do. These animals come into our lives so we can love them intensely for a short time, and they can give us their love in return.

I am hoping all my loved pets can someday be buried with myself and my wife. Its another great reason for cremation since we also wish to be cremated. Since we have no children and the rest of our families will be gone by then... we hope to be buried in a place we both love, and a tree planed so that we may become part of the world again.

Now i'm getting all choked up. I'm so sorry about your dog; its heartbreaking and there is simply nothing I could say to make it easier.... but remember you're not alone here and you're making the right decision after doing everything possible.

I'm so sorry...

I'm not surprised at the answers here, but I am surprised no one plans (or has done) what I plan to do with my best friend. He's getting the same treatment I want -- cremation, then an ash dive. :)
I have lots of awesome pics of him, which are better for me than keeping a box of him (YMMV).

I always thought people that had a pet "put to sleep" and then requested to have the cremated remains returned to them were just a little bit, well, off. Always felt it was just a little much...

As for not having cremation available -- my good friends just had to send off their awesome cat a few weeks ago. Turkey doesn't do cremation, so they had him wrapped at the vet, and kept him in their freezer until they could arrange to ship him back to the UK. Once his paw is imprinted and his remains are taken care of, he'll be shipped back to them here in Turkey. This has definitely been an education in international pet care practices.

Good vibes to you in this tough time. I'm sorry you're having to lose your pal so soon, and that he has to go through this crap. [:/]
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I am hoping all my loved pets can someday be buried with myself and my wife.

A while back, I'd have thought THAT was pretty weird.

Couple years ago my Mom past, her faithful companion for the decade prior was rescued from a puppy mill - baby making Rat Terrier momma.

The two were inseparable, went everywhere together, took care of each other...my mother cooked ham & eggs every morning for that dog!

Mom dropped into a coma - brain tumor, sis & I did the home hospice thing. 10 minutes after we got Mom home and into the hospice hospital bed...her dog crawled up on the pillow next to her and stayed there for TEN DAYS.

Mom's dog past away shortly after she did - my sis insisted we put their ashes together. Took me all of 3 seconds to not think it's weird anymore.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Awesome responses thank you. Just arranged for the private cremation, having the ashes returned. Gonna get a cool box for them. Fuck it. He wont be suffering and I will always have him here. Got a couple more days with him here, gonna spoil his ass. I feel better with the decision made.
The Dude Abides.
-

dropdeded

Awesome responses thank you. Just arranged for the private cremation, having the ashes returned. Gonna get a cool box for them. Fuck it. He wont be suffering and I will always have him here. Got a couple more days with him here, gonna spoil his ass. I feel better with the decision made.

You do your friend proud. Clearly you love him. And I'm sure he knows it. Sometimes that's all that matters.
Spoil him, hold him, and you'll never forget him.

DrDom

***Awesome responses thank you. Just arranged for the private cremation, having the ashes returned. Gonna get a cool box for them. Fuck it. He wont be suffering and I will always have him here. Got a couple more days with him here, gonna spoil his ass. I feel better with the decision made.

You do your friend proud. Clearly you love him. And I'm sure he knows it. Sometimes that's all that matters.
Spoil him, hold him, and you'll never forget him.

I agree and also should add, be there with him when he's euthanized, for his comfort. You are all that matters to him.

be there with him when he's euthanized, for his comfort. You are all that matters to him.

^^^THIS. I had my 20 year old cat put to sleep a couple of years ago. Being there when she died was one of the hardest, yet best things. She knew I was there and I hope it brought her comfort.

Hugs to you and your fur baby.