rvmnw

Dislocated shoulder on AFF level 6

just one more to add... i did the opposite of what everyone is suggesting ( im probablly the one in the wrong) i dislocated mine on a bmx bike.... went through the physical therapy only with no surgery and right when i got done... popped it agian throwing firewood lol... then again playin badmitten (i know how??!!) and again inside the truck of an s2000 :) now it happens A LOT i mean even sometimes in my sleep. it does not even really hurt when it happens any more. just sore the next day.. i can put it back in one handed, i only have 3 jump so far just getting started but belly to earth seems ok... good luck and let us know what you do with it??
Some people say "The sky is the limit" .... those people must not skydive..

Well it seems like I'll be out of skydiving for a while. RIght now I am going to enjoy the holiday with my arm in a sling lol but as soon as I am back home its doctor time.

Will let you all know what happening.

Thanks for the advice and may you all have a super festive season.

Be safe ;)

Well it seems like I'll be out of skydiving for a while. RIght now I am going to enjoy the holiday with my arm in a sling lol but as soon as I am back home its doctor time.

Will let you all know what happening.

Thanks for the advice and may you all have a super festive season.

Be safe ;)

I'm glad to see you are following the wise (cautious) advise. Shoulders are not really joints in the anatomical sense. The humoral head rests against a pad of cartilage and is held together by connective tissue. Once it has been dislocated the connective tissue (tendons and ligaments) are stretched and do not regain their shape. This not only makes it significantly more likely that it will dislocate but also makes it more likely to dislocate in the same manner stretching the same connective tissues even more. Making it even more likely that it will reoccur. Having the corrective surgery does not guarantee 100% recovery. The physical therapy is important. If there is one suggestion I would make that hasn't been offered yet. Take 1 gram of Vitamin C daily. Vitamin C is a precursor to collagen formation. Collagen is the protein that is most neccessary for repair and maintenance of connective tissues. It sounds like such a small thing but it is a major factor in a good recovery. Think of it like protein supplements for weightlifting. If you're not using them, you're not serious about weightlifting.

Here's a link about Vitamin C and collagen formation:

http://www.springboard4health.com/notebook/v_c.html

The only real caution to taking 1 gram of Vitamin C daily is that it can lead to kidney stone formation. The 2 major factors with this are family history and water intake. Personally, I would still take 1 gram of Vitamin C daily even if I had a family history of Renal Calculi and drink a lot more water.

Another major factor in connective tissue repair is smoking. If you smoke add 2-3 times the recovery time at the tissue level. Connective tissues are not really vascular. They are also not really avascular. They need a small amount of blood supply. If you smoke your connective tissues suffer because your body constantly shunts blood away from the areas that don't need a significant blood supply because you live in a mild state of hypoxia. This is really only important when you have joint problems...like you do.

Good luck with your recovery.

Hi people

Hope you all had a great festive season. This is just an update on my shoulder injury for those thats interested.

So the Prof that will be doing the op wants to do open surgery and he will be putting some sort of steel pin in that will act as a "cover" for the shoulder. This will prevent the shoulder popping out again so it sounds good.
The bad part is I'll be out for 12 weeks minimum from skydiving. That is a bloody long time but it will be worth the wait.

Cool stuff and be safe people

Wow way to keep a clear head, adrenaline can do some amazing things, I crawled out of a wrecked car with 2 broken arms thanks to it.
Could you post a link to the info about 1 handed flaring as I would really like to read the information that helped you make a safe landing. thanks and Heal well.
I crave the sky, I want to fly.