guineapiggie101

Kindle paperwhite or the Kindle app on the iPad...

Which do you prefer to read your books on? Currently I have the iPad 2 with Retina display and I read book on it through the Kindle app. I like to read and I will spend hours reading on the iPad. I notice that I get more headaches and eye strain from reading on the iPad. Would reading on an actual Kindle help with that? Looking to buy a Kindle Paperwhite. Price isn't bad, but not sure if it is worth it considering I already have an iPad that I can read books on through the Kindle app.

Background:

I used to read on my iPhone, then I got a Kindle, then a Kindle 2, then a Paperwhite. I also occasionally read on my Google Nexus tablet, if for some reason I don't have my Kindle with me.

The Paperwhite is BY FAR the best way to read. Unfortunately my first-gen Paperwhite died unexpectedly recently (just out of warranty), but I'll be buying another. I can't say good enough things outside of that!
cavete terrae.

I've had a couple, three kinds of Kindles, and ALL of them are better than reading on a tablet/laptop. All of the Kindles don't have anymore eye-strain than paper books. :)
If you only read in high light levels, a non-backlit version is fine. If you read in low light, a paperwhite is a must.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

This thread is great. I just started reading eBooks and have been downloading some from Google Play and reading them on my Samsung Galaxy Tablet 7 or whatever the hell it's called. You can't see hardly anything on the screen when you're outside trying to read. It hurtttttt my eyeballs to try to see and I'd give up.

Now I'm in the market for a real book reader. :)

Always be kinder than you feel.

guineapiggie101

Which do you prefer to read your books on? Currently I have the iPad 2 with Retina display and I read book on it through the Kindle app. I like to read and I will spend hours reading on the iPad. I notice that I get more headaches and eye strain from reading on the iPad. Would reading on an actual Kindle help with that? Looking to buy a Kindle Paperwhite. Price isn't bad, but not sure if it is worth it considering I already have an iPad that I can read books on through the Kindle app.

AUDIBLE.COM
I listen to at least a book a week while I am commuting OR my new guilty pleasure.. classes on audio that are taught by some VERY intelligent world renowned people in their fields at the best schools in the world. They are known as The Great Courses series

I love my kindle but if I only want to take a single device, I use my Nexus Tablet ... which will also Read books to me - I love that when I'm feeling lazy (which is a lot of the time ;) )

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I have never heard of a Kindle. I do quite a bit of reading, I am going to have to look into on. How do they all those books in that little tablet?

Sparky

Would you all recommend the Kindle Paperwhite or the Kindle Paperwhite 3G?
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Always get the 3G version. That way, you don't have to have a wireless (or cable) connection to a computer to download books, you just need a phone signal. Kindle provides the 3G signal for free forever, its not a subscription you have to pay for. :)
Tip for new kindle users: turn the wireless off when you aren't actively downloading, and the battery life is weeks to months before needing a charge! B|

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Kindles also have a text to speech option (located on the menu that allows you to set font size, spacing and page orientation). It also then turns the page over as it reaches the end so that if you want to carry on reading for yourself without TTS then you're on the right page.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

Do it. They are awesome especially if you read a lot (and I do).
No eyestrain (it really is like reading paper), month long battery life, storage for thousands of books, small, light, customisable, convenient, and CHEAP!
There really isn't much not to like.
The only thing that some people have issues with is it being tied largely to Amazon - if you are a huge Barnes and Noble fan or something like that, you might prefer one of its competitors.

(Note - this does NOT apply to the kindle fire, that is a tablet and loses a lot of the simplicity and function that makes the kindle great.)

If I have friends/family who read a lot and they don't have a kindle, guess what they are usually getting for their next birthday! (and everyone I have ever known who has got them has been absolutely stoked once they had tried it - even those who were self professed technophobes)
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Amazon

….. OR my new guilty pleasure.. classes on audio that are taught by some VERY intelligent world renowned people in their fields at the best schools in the world. They are known as The Great Courses series

I'v done a couple of those and am about to start my third. They are really good.