kawisixer01

IT people help please?

Ok so I had some basic training a very long time ago on some IT stuff. But have long forgotten most of it. I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I picked up an antiquated cisco catalyst 3500 XL that was basically getting tossed out. I would like to just plug it into my cable modem and use it as a dumb switch. You know, have it provide internet access to all of the crap in my house that I want to plug into it. I am able to telnet into it, but not sure what to do from there. I don't remember any of the commands or what they do. Any help would be appreciated.

kawisixer01

Ok so I had some basic training a very long time ago on some IT stuff. But have long forgotten most of it. I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I picked up an antiquated cisco catalyst 3500 XL that was basically getting tossed out. I would like to just plug it into my cable modem and use it as a dumb switch. You know, have it provide internet access to all of the crap in my house that I want to plug into it. I am able to telnet into it, but not sure what to do from there. I don't remember any of the commands or what they do. Any help would be appreciated.

Unless they were using VLANs or have some sort of specialized port configurations on it, it will work in a default mode as a dumb switch.

Use the link Ryoder posted and that should get you on your way, look for the commands to erase the config and reboot the switch. After that, it'll likely work just as you want.

I don't really know why you'd want to burn the electricity for a 3500 to act as a dumb switch though, but I guess free is free. I've got a stack of 2900 and 2600s.:D

BTW, hopefully your cable modem is a router as well, or you'll need one because most residential services are only for 1 IP address (and you'll want a firewall anyways)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I've got a 2960S (48 ports with POE) running my network.

Of course, it's in a room I don't use much, but at least I have a use for it with multiple VLANs and a nice port channel.

If I were just looking for a dumb switch, I'd buy another of the Netgear gig switches. Less power and much quieter (not to mention they're MUCH cheaper!)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Cisco's language is a whole different ballgame from a linksys router setup. It does kind of make sense once you get used to it, and it's very handy to learn it, but expect there to be a bit of a learning curve.

With most commands there should be a key to print out possible completions for the rest of the command. I forget if it's tab or question mark, but you can start a command and then hit that key and the interpreter will suggest completions for it. That's moderately helpful.

The one I was using was extra-complicated because I was trying to set up a wireless network with NAT to the outside internet and DHCP. In addition I had some machines that I wanted connected via cables. You have a remarkable amount of flexibility when setting that up, but like I said, their command language really takes some getting used to.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

With most commands there should be a key to print out possible completions for the rest of the command. I forget if it's tab or question mark, but you can start a command and then hit that key and the interpreter will suggest completions for it. That's moderately helpful.

Cisco IOS:

Tab will complete the command given there are no other commands that start with that. If you were to say type:
Switch(config)#int
then hit tab, it'll finish the command for interface
Switch(config)#interface

If there are multiple commands that match the letters you've already typed in, tab won't do anything, but a question mark will.

Switch(config)#i?
id-manager identity interface ip
ipc ipv6

Switch(config)#i

Unless we're talking about the Cisco certification tests, fuckers take away the question mark so either you know the command or you don't.:S Can't remember if you get to keep the tab though.

kawisixer01

lol thanks guys. I'll dig into it. You are right, it sounds like one of those RC planes with the mini jets taking off when it's running.

You should hear a UCS start up. :SB|

normiss

Sure, if you don't mind a turbine sound nonstop in your house.
Those fans move some air!
:D

Sometimes it is just one faulty fan.

I once had a switch that became noisy over time.
1. I stuck the eraser end of a pencil into each fan to stop it, and determined which one was the culprit.
2. I opened up the switch, and pulled out the fan so I could read the part numbers.
3. I went on eBay and searched for the part number. I bought a pack of 4 for $4. Problem solved.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***Sure, if you don't mind a turbine sound nonstop in your house.
Those fans move some air!
:D

Sometimes it is just one faulty fan.

I once had a switch that became noisy over time.
1. I stuck the eraser end of a pencil into each fan to stop it, and determined which one was the culprit.
2. I opened up the switch, and pulled out the fan so I could read the part numbers.
3. I went on eBay and searched for the part number. I bought a pack of 4 for $4. Problem solved.

Yep, we replace a fan assembly on one of the 3800s (routers) at least once a month. Usually it's just one bad fan but Cisco sends us the entire fan assembly, so we end up with an assembly that has 2 working fans and one loud one.

kawisixer01

Well speaking of parts, does anyone have a source for the power supplies in the smaller units? I've had several die, open them up and start poking around with a meter to find that the power supply is just dead. I wanna say it's like a 3.3 VDC.

I call TAC and it shows up within 48 hours. :P

Although for a switch without a modular power supply, we just call them and ask for the 'lifetime warranty replacement'. Believe it or not, you may be able to pull that off, but don't quote me on it.

We don't maintain support on most of our access switches, we just keep a pile in the store room and when one goes tits up, we swap it and do the lifetime warranty replacement on it. Don't be fooled though, lifetime to Cisco could mean 5 years. ;)

Hell, we filed a TAC case for new ears for our rack mount ASA's and sure as shit they showed up.:D:D

lol, Cisco isn't sending you equipment replacements without a contract... you can't even open a TAC case without a valid serial associated with a maint contract

hardware replacement cycle is limited by the EOL notice so you can't keep obsolete gear on contract past it's hardware replacement EOL date

CCIE 39206 here ;)

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

mattjw916

lol, Cisco isn't sending you equipment replacements without a contract... you can't even open a TAC case without a valid serial associated with a maint contract

I wasn't 100% positive if they would honor a non CCO linked account, but I'm sure you know more about it than I do!

CCIE 39206 here ;)

I'm just a lowly CCNA working on my NP... if I can find the freaking time!

I know we've successfully RMA'ed a few switches that weren't EOL yet and weren't on our support contract. Just not sure how the guy pulls it off. :D