Evelyn

Gear Demo Programs

Was just filling out a questionnaire about Square One's Demo Program and thought I'd post a thread. Don't know how many DZ's have a gear store that offers a demo program, so don't know how many people can actually take advantage of this type of program, but wanted to share my experience with others who may be considering participating in a gear demo program. As a new jumper I didn't want to buy gear - new or used until I tried different gear and downsized canopies to something that I could use for a long time, but at the same time I didn't want to spend a lot on renting gear. By participating in the demo program at Square One I was able to demo a variety of containers and canopies over a 9 month period (150 jumps) until I got to the point where I was ready to buy, without spending much on rental (think I spent $100 during this period). I am now the proud owner of a custom rig that fits me perfectly in colors that I chose. I couldn't be happier and would highly recommend this program to anyone considering buying new gear but unsure of what to get. I didn't mention specifics because I imagine different gear stores may have different terms. As I said, I did the demo program at Square One and they are awesome. They were always there to help me decide if I should downsize, they'd even go out and watch my landings, they never pressured me, even though I took a long time deciding what to buy. When I did finally buy they made sure I got exactly what I wanted, even though I added weight pockets after I'd already ordered. So kudos to Square One and the gear demo program in general. I am one very happy skydiver. Gotta go now and admire my new rig. Thanks Brenda, Dave, Celeste, Blue (you were there for me in the beginning) and everyone else at Square One. You're awesome!

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

As far as I know only the Squares (1,2 and 3) offer a program similar to the one that you were in. Nice thing about the Squares is they share things among themselves so they have a larger fleet of demo gear then a single DZ store can usually have.

Almost every other DZ program I've ever heard of requires you to pay a per jump/per day rental fee for the rig and none of the rental cost goes towards the new rig cost.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Almost every other DZ program I've ever heard of requires you to pay a per jump/per day rental fee for the rig and none of the rental cost goes towards the new rig cost.

Usually it goes towards paying for the $4k+ rig and the maintance on the rig (reserve repacks, risers, linesets, cypres batteries, etc). Rental rigs get uses HARD and get tore up pretty quick.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

As far as I know only the Squares (1,2 and 3) offer a program similar to the one that you were in. Nice thing about the Squares is they share things among themselves so they have a larger fleet of demo gear then a single DZ store can usually have.

That's too bad, cuz it's such a great program for new jumpers unsure of what to buy.

take advantage of this type of program

I wonder if the program was actually designed
to be used in that manner?:S

You paid 66 cents per jump for the use of the gear.

If it were yours, reserve repacks would probably cost
you more per jump than that!

And with your new rig you will need to make over 6000
jumps on it to see a similar cost per jump ratio.

Nothing against you, but from a business stand point that
"long term demo" program doesn't make any sense to me.

But SQ 1 knows what they're doing...so who am I
to question!:)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Unless they have changed thier demo program since I took advantage of it, You had to pay 100 dollars a month maintenance fee did you not? So that would have come out to more like nine hundred dollars that you paid for gear rental during your demo period. But it is still a good program.------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

Unless they have changed thier demo program since I took advantage of it, You had to pay 100 dollars a month maintenance fee did you not? So that would have come out to more like nine hundred dollars that you paid for gear rental during your demo period. But it is still a good program.------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. I just paid a $49.50 rental fee for the two months I went over the 100 jump/6 mo. free period. Then once I ordered gear it was again free until my new gear arrived. So I only paid $100 total rental fee. But it depends on how much of a deposit you put down. I put the maximum.

to be used in that manner?

Sure was! There is a "buy in" which gives you a grace period to demo to your hearts content and they use your "buy in" towards the purchase of new gear. if you take longer than the grace period, there is a small monthly service charge (less than $50 a month I think) for gear upkeep and what not.

I don't know all the deatails as thats a whole different part of the company than I'm in, but I've seen alot of people use the program to it's fullest extent, and get exactly what they wanted because of it.

:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

to be used in that manner?

Sure was! There is a "buy in" which gives you a grace period to demo to your hearts content and they use your "buy in" towards the purchase of new gear. if you take longer than the grace period, there is a small monthly service charge (less than $50 a month I think) for gear upkeep and what not.

:)

Yep, demo to your hearts content. That is what I loved about the program. I wasn't pressured to buy before I was ready.

Sounds like a GREAT deal...!
and smart marketing!!B|

Has anyone ever demo jumped gear for a while then
bought from someone else..or is there a contract.

Wish there was something like that years ago...
then I wouldn't have all these parachutes
in my closet! [:/]

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Has anyone ever demo jumped gear for a while then
bought from someone else..or is there a contract.

There is a contract, and the buy in (depending on purchace lever, i.e. main only, or complete system) is anwhere from $1000 to $4000. But if there are manufacturers of gear Square 1 doesn't sell, they are few and far between.

The is also a way out of the contract but basicaly it reverts to paying the normal daily demo gear rate.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

No. I just paid a $49.50 rental fee for the two months I went over the 100 jump/6 mo. free period. Then once I ordered gear it was again free until my new gear arrived. So I only paid $100 total rental fee. But it depends on how much of a deposit you put down. I put the maximum.

Then it has changed since I took advantage of it. When I was doing the demo program, you had to put down a minimum of one thousand dollars and could jump as much as you wanted for a nintey nine dollar a month maintenance fee. That was deducted out of your deposit or you could pay it seperatly but if you deposit account went below one thousand then it was frozen and you could not jump until it was brought back upto the minimum. You could stay on the demo program like this for as long as you wanted. Then once you ordered and payed for your gear you could jump thiers as much as you wanted for free until your's came in. A good deral but the new way seems like even a better deal:)

Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

Actually, I think Deland does something for you, too. When I was up there just off student status, they talked about putting rental $$ toward gear. I'm not sure of the specifics as Deland was too far from my home for me to participate, but I know not all is lost if you do this.

-A