dzswoop717

Bar room Liars (jump, fly, land TYPES)

At a memorial parade a couple of years ago a mate of mine got talking to one of the old fellas there, when asked how many jumps he had done he said "just the one"

"oh right" my mate said "were the courses only one jump back then?"

the reply came back "no, that was into Normandy in '44"

badass!

HUPRA

At a memorial parade a couple of years ago a mate of mine got talking to one of the old fellas there, when asked how many jumps he had done he said "just the one"

"oh right" my mate said "were the courses only one jump back then?"

the reply came back "no, that was into Normandy in '44"

badass!

Use to be a guy on our demo team that made the Normandy Boogie...

Loved hearing his stories, he even got married wearing his Cochranes!

During a high wind, night pyro, demo jump, into a stadium - he was #3 & I was #4 out of a 206...

He got fouled on a seatbelt and couldn't get out, I tried to free him twice and couldn't..."Gotta Go" and I exited.

He told me later - "Wish I'd have known that 'got stuck' trick back in '44!"

LOL :D

~ ~ Speaking of Normandy & Bad Asses:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4608621#4608621

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

Loved hearing his stories, he even got married wearing his Cochranes!

Good thing Mark wasn't married then.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

fossg

I just realized that I was a "pileit" in the Army. When I would dig a foxhole my squad leader would show me where he wanted the dirt piled. That's where I would pileit. Over the years I got to be a pretty good pileit...

Hey, I'm kinda busy here, could you run down to medical and grab me about 14 feet of fallopian tube so we can get all this drained?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I've met two so far.
One was a musician, friend of a friend. Heard I was a jumper, started telling me all about his jumps "somewhere in Florida".

He was being oddly vague so I asked him a few pointed questions... what canopy? What dropzone? Where (what alti) did you pull?

He was making shit up on the fly very obviously based on having seen "Point Break". What DZ? "Don't remember, south somewhere"
What canopy? "Don't remember, a square one"

What altitude? "Don't know, just waited till the needle hit the red part and pulled then"

I needled him a little then let it slide.
The second was -creepy-.

There was a woman got a job at a factory I used to work at. Odd facial features, gangly build, weird behavior...

One day as I'm fixing her machine another employee tells her "He's a skydiver, did ya know that?"

She says "Wow, so am I"
"Really?" says I... "Where do you jump?"

"It was when I was a kid," she says. "Daddy was in the air force and took us with him to jump out of his plane all the time."

Me, straight face, knowing what's coming... "Really? When you were a kid? Did you get a kid-size rig?"

"No, I was a big girl so I got my own grown-up one. Daddy was very safety minded so we'd do just as he says or we get the strap."

Me: "O...k...." (backing away slowly)

This woman did not last long. Evidently mildly intellectually impaired, made up outlandish lies and told them to everyone in earshot all the time. Not what you want to be dealing with on a factory floor, adult with the mind of a child...
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

turtlespeed

***I just realized that I was a "pileit" in the Army. When I would dig a foxhole my squad leader would show me where he wanted the dirt piled. That's where I would pileit. Over the years I got to be a pretty good pileit...

Hey, I'm kinda busy here, could you run down to medical and grab me about 14 feet of fallopian tube so we can get all this drained?

Sure! As soon as I find the keys to the HMMWV. I need to pick up some rotor wash and flight line anyway.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

TriGirl

******I just realized that I was a "pileit" in the Army. When I would dig a foxhole my squad leader would show me where he wanted the dirt piled. That's where I would pileit. Over the years I got to be a pretty good pileit...

Sure! As soon as I find the keys to the HMMWV. I need to pick up some rotor wash and flight line anyway.

I remember once while we were clearing blinds on the range sending some F***wit off down the range with a stepladder looking for unexploded airbursts.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

I had a boss like that once, been everywhere & done everything.

He was a world class skydiver with 'thousands' of jumps 'back in college'...the tales were hilarious, I'd egg him on for stories but never mentioned that I jump!

Back during the 1st Gulf War we were working 7 days a week as a defense contractor - told him I needed a Sunday off because of prior plans.

I gave him a nod as I walk past his field level seats after I landed with a flag on the 50 at a San Diego Chargers game ~ he never spoke of Skydiving in my presence again.

:)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

***I've noticed that there's a tendency for the older generation (WW II era) to play down their service. ...

................................................................................

Yes.
True heroes feel uncomfortable bragging about their battles. For example, three of my family served in RCAF Bomber Command during World War Two. Only one of them came home. He never talked about his experiences. The only thing I could get - out of other family members - was that he earned a DFC for staying at the controls of a burning Lancaster long enough for the rest of his crew to bail out.

Another "old boy" from my home town flew as a tail gunner in Lancasters. He always changed the subject when we asked him about the dark skies over Germany.

yoink

Another guy progressed onto freefall using longer and longer static lines. 5000 ft long.

I would NOT want to be humping that rig around all day. :|

..................................................................................

Apparently Eddie Grimm experimented with an extra-long static-line, back during the 1970s. They used a 50 (?) foot long static-line to deploy a round main canopy. The test-jumper enjoyed his jump, but it tore the heck out of the container!