dzswoop717

Bar room Liars (jump, fly, land TYPES)

Happens all the time with the military. Either guys who never served but watched a few to many movies or guys who did serve but were cooks and dont think thats worth admitting to.

Best story about that was back in 1990, and I was stationed at Fort Lewis, WA with 2nd Ranger Batt. They arrested and threw the 1st Special Forces Group chaplain (a preacher for you nonmilitary guys)out of the army for wearing a Special Forces tab he wasnt authorized and a few other medals.

He kept claiming he had been an enlisted team guy and then became a chaplain and officer. If it had been true he was authorized to wear the tab. But a few guys finally asked the right questions and found out he was full of crap. His defense was he didnt think the team guys would respect him without one. :S

I see the same thing happen with nearly every guy I meet over 60 who claims to have been in Nam. They all claim to have been in SF during their service.

I think we have all run into fake Rangers, Special Forces, Seals, PJs, Airborne, skydivers, BASE jumpers, combat veterans etc.

Some groups love to "out" the impostors and humiliate them. In some jurisdictions attempts have been made to criminalize their pathetic behavior.

I look at it as more of a mental health issue. I cant see putting sick people in jail for stuff like this. Too much real crime out there.

I know these posers piss off real military heroes but nobody respects the real guys less because of what a few sick wannabes do.

There was a guy in my former neighborhood who had a jacked up ultra manly 4WD truck plastered with skydiving stickers. It was well known that he had only made a couple of tandem jumps. At parties he was a BASE jumper, competitor and all around bad ass skydiver. I'm sure you have run into local versions yourself.

In my youth I might have exposed his BS, but now I just let posers like him be.

Peace,
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

dzswoop717

I ran into another liar. This guy has been bullshitting a skydiving buddy of mine for years. My buddies wife works with this guy, that claims to be a skydiver. He knows all the terminoligy and many of the local jumpers from the past. He told many jump stories to my buddies wife and has even told stories to my buddy with names, dates and other info that make him sound credible. My buddy has asked around and no one has ever heard of the guy. About a month ago I was in my hanger working and another one of our old skydiving friends comes in with a friend of his that I had never met before. We were introduced and after some small talk he tells me he works with my buddies wife. As soon as I put 2 and 2 together, that this is the guy my buddy has been asking about, He realizes at about the same time, he might be had and he quickly changes the subject. They leave and later that week I ask the friend who visited my hanger who that guy was. He told me they have been friends for years. I then asked if he was a skydiver and my friend told me that he made 1 tandem back in the late eighties. I went on to tell him some of the stories that my other buddies wife had told us and he says "Those are my jump stories." This liar had been repeating our friends jump stories as if they were his stories. This guy is a master liar because he told the stories exactly as he had heard them with out embelishing at all. The liar has not been informed yet that we are on to him, but after our meeting the stories have ended. We will let it simmer for a while. Maybe he will think he got away with it and start telling stories again. This liar also had many NASCAR stories that he also stopped telling at work. The world is full of them!

Even better than that ~ Few years back on a cross-country flight...sat next to a 20 something 'professional stuntman' that told me some pretty interesting Skydiving adventures that I could SWEAR that I'd heard somewhere before - :)

They were MINE!:o:$

Taken almost word for word from the Scary Stories thread...:D:D

...and yeah - I told him. At least the second 1/2 of the fight was quiet! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

LuckyMcSwervy

OMG... no way!! I would've paid to see that!! :D:D:D

Unbelievable that he would fly next to some asshole who stole his stories on a website... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Told a few stories...then told MY B.A.S.E story....Ummmm ok.

Told a few more then told MY 'Mile High' story....Hummm OKKKAAAY.

Then started telling my dropped smoke bracket story - so about 1/2 into it - I finished telling it. :ph34r:

Introduced myself...'airtwardo' on dizzydot...and YOU are?

Like I said - got nice and quiet. >:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

A couple weeks ago, a new colleague of my wife started telling at at a party how he learned BASE jumping with another guy, doing jumps into a deserted open pit mine.

I couldnt even begin to pick where to unwind his story....
Remster

airtwardo

Then started telling my dropped smoke bracket story - so about 1/2 into it - I finished telling it. :ph34r:

:D Was it a regular poster here or a lurker??
Always be kinder than you feel.

Never saw the upside to lie about, about my past.

Vet? Yep. Nam? Yep. But we were in the air force not the marines or the army, big difference. :|

No shame in carrying my DD 214 in my wallet. In case I can get a veterans discount. ;)

Same with a SC discount. Im old and careful with my money.

These days with the tandem industry everyone can claim to be a skydiver. Dont bother me a bit.

I actually feel a little sorry for people that think they have to lie about what they've done. [:/]:S

One Jump Wonder

airtwardo

I said I was sorry.:P

Had an office lunch group a few weeks ago, and none of the people know that I'm a skydiver. The subject of the miraculous survival of the 16-year-old girl who fell 3,500 feet and lived came up. They each tried to one-up the others with more details of her miracle story.

I just sat there, kept my mouth shut, and marveled at the ignorance of all those people who take at face value what the media feeds them and accepts it as the absolute truth. Not one of them questioned how it was possible to fall 3,500' without a parachute, and survive. Doh!

yee-up.. kinda makes you wonder how that works with topics other than skydiving.. topics that are far away from our experience and of which we know but a little bit.:)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

yoink

Me: sounds really cool! but what if your parachute doesn't work
Them: Oh, I used to jump with two just in case, but only have one now.
Me: How often do they fail?
Them: once every three or four times you use it, I guess... I've made a coupla hundred jumps, so I know the risk - that's why I only use one...

I'm not an expert in probability analysis, but...

A. You get a mal every third or fourth jump.

B. You only have one parachute.

C. Well...after three or four jumps, there is no 'C'.

The leap to the statement that he has hundreds of jumps leaves my head spinning. Maybe it makes more sense in a bar.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

LuckyMcSwervy

Misrepresenting, rather LYING, about your military service is despicable and a slap in the face to every one who really deserves the accolades.

Reverse experience:

The Combat Advisor Team I was with was assembling at KCI to head for Iraq. A Navy CDR and I were on a shuttle bus to our terminal. The very elderly gentleman driving asked if we were headed over. We confirmed it.

When we stopped, he stood up to shake our hands. He mentioned that he served once.

We asked when. "1942-45"

We asked where. "On a mine-sweeper in the Pacific"

We were floored. This man was on a mine-sweeper in the heavily mined Pacific Theater during the heat of WWII...and he wanted to shake OUR hands. We made him late for his next run with our praise and thanks. I will always remember shaking his hand.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

airtwardo

Doesn't only happen in skydiving...:D

My better half is a senior Captain for a major airline, 5' tall & 110 lbs soaking wet, she certainly doesn't look like someone with 30,000 hours of 'jet time'...

Some of the "I'm a pilot" pick-up lines she's heard are 10x's funnier that what 'we' hear!

She tends to give enough rope... then comes back with "You REALLY picked the wrong girl to try THAT line on!" :ph34r:

The best was watching the color drain for some asshats face when she pulled out her license with endorsements for 727,747,757, 767 & 777 on it..."let's see YOURS!" B|

:ph34r:

If its not Boeing I'm not going or I want a rig.:ph34r:

I've noticed that there's a tendency for the older generation (WW II era) to play down their service. There was a story here recently about a couple who met and married during the war and it wasn't until someone arranged a reunion that they found out that they'd both worked at Bletchley Park, albeit in different buildings. On a personal note, I just recently found some papers relating to my grandfather's military service while clearing out some of my dad's stuff following his death. Apparently he was a concientious objector who opted to serve as a medical orderly / stretcher bearer. I can't even begin to imagine the courage required to go forward under fire without the means to shoot back,
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

I am so fortunate! My parents have retired to a facility in Annapolis filled with WWII vets and mostly Navy retirees. I get the great privilege of shooting the shit with some of these guys whenever I visit. They were flying Lightnings, Mustangs, Wildcats and my personal fav the F4U Corsair at 19 or 20 years old after a few short weeks of flight training. Each and every one of these gentlemen are the most modest and unassuming people I have ever met.

Back in 1974 when I had just a couple jumps I mentioned that I had jumped to a visitor at the aircraft mechanics' school I was attending. Shore nuf he jumped too. At night. From a thousand feet. Counted to ten and pulled the string...
I had spent enough nights in the clubhouse watching the guys play Cardinal Puff held in rapt attention by their noshitthereIwuz stories to know this guy was full of BS. Good lesson to learn early in my career.

jon

The paint delivery guy at my body shop was a WWII B-17 captain who flew 35 missions.His name is Clint Hammond and couple of years ago he asked my business partner and I if we would paint his car. It had a bad case of pealing clear and a little rust. He also wanted a small picture of the B-17 he flew and his unit crest on it somewhere. He let us know that he was on a small budget and that the paint store he delivered paint for would provide the paint. As soon as he left our shop, we started throwing ideas back and forth about the paint job. Clint was taking several of his children, grandchildren, and great grandchildern to FL to visit the theme parks so we would have his car for a little over a week. When he dropped his car off we already had all the pictures chosen and a layout figured out. Skip, my business partner, and I busted ass, we each worked over 100 hours that week airbrushing murals on every panel of the car of B-17's and other related images. Another one of our customers saw what we were doing for Clint and called the local news paper who wanted to be present at the reveal of the car to clint. I pulled some strings and had another local businessman donate a set of mag wheels and new tires to finish out the customization. On the day of the reveal we sat Clint in a chair out side the shop door and told him to close his eyes, we opened the door and drove the car out and told him he could open his eyes. For the first time in the 8 years that we had known Clint, He was speechless. With tears running down all our cheeks we hugged and thanked each other. We thanked him for his service to our country and he thanked us for the paint job. It was the best feeling in the world to give back to some one from the generation who did so much for our country. He has had a ball with the car taking it to car shows getting interviewd by local TV and newspapers. He plans to donate the car to a museum when he feels that he can no longer drive safely. He drops by the shop every couple of weeks since he retired from delivering paint and visits. He shows up with cookies and sometimes a case of beer. He was here on Monday, it was his 94th birthday. If you google search Clint Hammond B-17 you can read about him. If you click on images there may still be some pictures of his car.