Skyrad

Paddy's Day

Seeing as I won't be around for it I thought I'd just give our American chums a bit of a heads up.

1) Its not St Patty's day. No one in Ireland calls it Patty's Day, its Paddy's Day.

2) Irish people don't eat corned beef.

3) No one ever says 'Top of the morning' in Ireland.

So there you go have a great one, one and all and for Gods sake don't be calling it Patty's Day, thats just embarrassing ;)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Skyrad

Seeing as I won't be around for it I thought I'd just give our American chums a bit of a heads up.

1) Its not St Patty's day. No one in Ireland calls it Patty's Day, its Paddy's Day.

So there you go have a great one, one and all and for Gods sake don't be calling it Patty's Day, thats just embarrassing ;)

So which part of Ireland are you talking about???

Skyrad

Go Kiss the Blarney Stone!

:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Amazon

***Seeing as I won't be around for it I thought I'd just give our American chums a bit of a heads up.

The island of Ireland.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Skyrad

******Seeing as I won't be around for it I thought I'd just give our American chums a bit of a heads up.

The island of Ireland.

Last I checked.. there were a couple of countries there.

Amazon

*********Seeing as I won't be around for it I thought I'd just give our American chums a bit of a heads up.

The island of Ireland.

Only one that really matters.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Amazon

*********Seeing as I won't be around for it I thought I'd just give our American chums a bit of a heads up.

The island of Ireland.

That is why the term the 'island of Ireland' is used to encompass both sees of the border without referring to either political entity, its a term used in Ireland which is no doubt why you're not familiar with it. To answer your previous question t makes no difference, North, South East West or in the Center, no fecker uses Patty's day.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Skyrad

************Seeing as I won't be around for it I thought I'd just give our American chums a bit of a heads up.

The island of Ireland.

That is why the term the 'island of Ireland' is used to encompass both sees of the border without referring to either political entity, its a term used in Ireland which is no doubt why you're not familiar with it. To answer your previous question t makes no difference, North, South East West or in the Center, no fecker uses Patty's day.

But they all kiss the Blarney Stone.:)

Skyrad

I don't know anyone here that calls it "Patty's" day either. ;)

(2) Irish people don't eat corned beef.
***Corned beef was a dietary staple for much of the world before canning and modern refrigeration. Even for the Irish. I'm sure it's still available, just as in this country. Now, whether or not they eat if for St. Patrick's Day is another question.

for Gods sake don't be calling it Patty's Day, thats just embarrassing ;)

agree with you there. :)

OK I am getting that you don't like "St Patty's" day, which has always seemed logical to me, as Patty sounds like abbreviation of Patrick.

So if you prefer to call it Paddy's Day, who is Paddy?
Paddy sounds like the name for a child's stuffed toy or something.

dpreguy

OK I am getting that you don't like "St Patty's" day, which has always seemed logical to me, as Patty sounds like abbreviation of Patrick.

Paddy is short for Patrick.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Skyrad

***OK I am getting that you don't like "St Patty's" day, which has always seemed logical to me, as Patty sounds like abbreviation of Patrick.

"Say what?" I hear them saying....

Don't confuse the poor yanks too much :P

It's cus the Irish form of Patrick is Pádraic.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Hmmm...never seen it spelled as the former but always the latter.

Irish people don't eat corned beef. Do you really mean that the Irish DON'T eat corned beef or don't have a preference for corned beef.

No one ever says "Top of the morning" in Ireland. When I was Ireland years ago, I never heard this either but I'm wondering (and this is not a sarcastic question) how you know this?

...but the Irish do eat potatoes!

Soooo....all of this not withstanding, there will be corned beef, steamed cabbage and potatoes with home made soda bread for dinner at my table this coming Monday.

Guiness too!

and just for a bit of Irish trivia..."The term "Paddy Wagon" originated from New York City as the police force was predominantly Irish. As many of the immigrant Irish (probably some of my ancestors) liked to "whoop it up" and get arrested for drunk and disorderly, it was a Paddy driving the wagon and a Paddy or two in the back of the wagon." So I have read.

Erin go braugh!

Skyrad

I've never heard it called anything but "St. Patrick's Day" in Chicago, where we have a huge parade (actually 2 huge parades).

abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local/chicago_news&id=9463953
beverly-mtgreenwood.patch.com/groups/around-town/p/south-side-irish-parade-2014-survival-guide

Of course, we ALL know that St. Patrick was English, stolen in childhood by Irish pirates?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

shropshire

******OK I am getting that you don't like "St Patty's" day, which has always seemed logical to me, as Patty sounds like abbreviation of Patrick.

"Say what?" I hear them saying....

Don't confuse the poor yanks too much :P

It's cus the Irish form of Patrick is Pádraic.or Padraig :P
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padraig
But yanks do tend to reinvent history :ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?