rushmc

Pilot Chute Pull Force & The RSL

You have a bag lock.:( You chop. [:/]

Query, will the pilot chute have enough pull to complete reserve deployment via the RSL?

(I did pull both handles this weekend. I tossed both handles, and lost them:(, so I can't look at the ripcord and I am just wondering)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Off the cuff, the max pull force on a reserve pin is 22 pounds. From the discussions I've seen, the pilot chute has enough force to generate abou 100lbs.

Since the RSL only pulls the pin, I would say yes.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

Off the cuff, the max pull force on a reserve pin is 22 pounds. From the discussions I've seen, the pilot chute has enough force to generate abou 100lbs.

Thanks, I would agree but I did not know if anyone had seen articles or tests.

Thanks again
Abraham Lincoln

I had a container lock...everything stayed put except the pilot chute. No, an RSL would not have pulled for me in this case. When in doubt it is best to pull for yourself...period. I didn't rely on an RSL or my Cypres.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I had a container lock...everything stayed put except the pilot chute. No, an RSL would not have pulled for me in this case. When in doubt it is best to pull for yourself...period. I didn't rely on an RSL or my Cypres.

Ya, a container lock is a no-brainer and you are right about both handles. I did pull both cause my training kicked in. You remind me to go say thanks to my instructors though. They did well for me:)
Abraham Lincoln

I'm still amazed that you found your main, in a bag lock with no fabric out in a corn field in so short a time when no one had a clear view. And then found the freebag to boot.

Must be living right.:)

You got that right!!! As we drove to the spot to start looking the guy in the back said stop and back up. He spotted the white on the under side of the PC in the first row next to the ditch!!! WOW did that feel good. He then just followed the wind line futher down wind figuring the free bag would float further, which it did, and found that too. I owe him big time!
Abraham Lincoln

Don't bet on it.

The RSL does not pull "in line", so the pull force required is higher. Add to the fact that the P/C also has to suport the weight of the bag, canopy, lines, and risers, it will have to clear the 3 rings, and possibly the closed riser covers, and the pilot chute won't have the original "snatch" force avaliable to jerk everything clear.

Pull the other handle. Of course I'm sure you would have anyway!:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

>The RSL does not pull "in line", so the pull force required is higher.

Can be true. Wendy Faulkner, as I recall, had an oddly-modified Racer RSL, and it hung up during a cutaway, leaving her towing her main by the RSL. When she pulled the reserve handle the cable cleared and the main detached.

Don't bet on it.

The RSL does not pull "in line", so the pull force required is higher. Add to the fact that the P/C also has to suport the weight of the bag, canopy, lines, and risers, it will have to clear the 3 rings, and possibly the closed riser covers, and the pilot chute won't have the original "snatch" force avaliable to jerk everything clear.

Pull the other handle. Of course I'm sure you would have anyway!:)
I want to thank you and billvon for your replies. The reason I asked the question was because of what I felt. I pulled the cut away handle and then the reserve. I had the time to think (because I knew I was at terminal) "This is going to be quick" refering to the speed of opening. I felt like the reserve did not come off my back until I pulled the reserve ripcord. I am still wondering if I felt that way because I have never been in that situation before! I really think that the reserve did not deploy until I pulled! Dam, I got to thank my instructors:)
Abraham Lincoln

Our Skyhook RSL tests show that a bag lock, with an inflated 27" pilot chute, will not only open the reserve container, it will (via the Skyhook) pull the reserve to line stretch in about 1/2 a second. However, you should always plan to pull the reserve ripcord yourself on any breakaway.

We do use a "direct pull" RSL (pin connected directly to one end of the RSL) rather than the more traditional ripcord-cable-through-ring RSL, which has been known to tow bag locks, as well as damage or break pins and cables.

Our Skyhook RSL tests show that a bag lock, with an inflated 27" pilot chute, will not only open the reserve container, it will (via the Skyhook) pull the reserve to line stretch in about 1/2 a second. However, you should always plan to pull the reserve ripcord yourself on any breakaway.

We do use a "direct pull" RSL (pin connected directly to one end of the RSL) rather than the more traditional ripcord-cable-through-ring RSL, which has been known to tow bag locks, as well as damage or break pins and cables.

Thanks Bill! I was hoping you would post to this one! I really think I was towing mine. Thanks again.
Abraham Lincoln

We just went through this in the military test program to "certify" the Skyhook. At first they insisted on a "cable-through-ring" type RSL, instead of our direct-connect type. I couldn't talk them out of it, because that is what they have been using on other rigs for years. So I said, "OK, let's test it." On two out of the three bag lock tests, they towed the bag lock, once for over 1,000 feet.

Single sided, cable-through-ring RSL's are simply no longer acceptable, because a safer alternative exists. The funny thing is, I designed my "direct-connect" RSL over 25 years ago, and never patented it...yet very few other companies use it...even though the design is free, and has been "tested" on literally 1,000's of actual cutaways.

We just went through this in the military test program to "certify" the Skyhook. At first they insisted on a "cable-through-ring" type RSL, instead of our direct-connect type. I couldn't talk them out of it, because that is what they have been using on other rigs for years. So I said, "OK, let's test it." On two out of the three bag lock tests, they towed the bag lock, once for over 1,000 feet.

Single sided, cable-through-ring RSL's are simply no longer acceptable, because a safer alternative exists. The funny thing is, I designed my "direct-connect" RSL over 25 years ago, and never patented it...yet very few other companies use it...even though the design is free, and has been "tested" on literally 1,000's of actual cutaways.

I have packed rigs with the set up you speak of. (not the sky hook yet) I like the design.

i want to thank you again. Your information validates what I thought I was feeling. It also reinforces the training! Pull them both.

Thanks
Marc
Abraham Lincoln

>The RSL does not pull "in line", so the pull force required is higher.

Can be true. Wendy Faulkner, as I recall, had an oddly-modified Racer RSL, and it hung up during a cutaway, leaving her towing her main by the RSL. When she pulled the reserve handle the cable cleared and the main detached.

Would you agree that in that case more force was required to pull the reserve manually, since the jumper had to oversome the opposite pulling force (main PC pulling a reserve cable and making a "kink")? I am not even talking of pulling the "kink" into the reserve housing (which also adds force), but about the 'tug-o-war' between a jumper and a main PC pulling the reserve cable in two different directions (main PC "sucking" the reserve cable away from the reserve handle, and jumper pulling the cable in the opposite direction).