normiss

Boogie fees?!?!?!!!

normiss

One I've heard recently - for a small time tunnel rat with only a few hundred jumps:

$300 a day with paid slots on all jumps
airfare
hotel
car rental

Fuck that.

Tandem masters are not their target audience;)
If you want talent to show up you pay for it, everyone is fine with this in any other profession why would of should it be different in skydiving.
It's not now and hasn't been for a while now, a bunch of mates and a182, why do so many persist and moan about it like it was. :S
There's a lot of people who make their living as professional skydivers, some as TMs some as camera flyers some as AFFIs some (heaven forbid) as personal coaches and organisers.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

normiss

One I've heard recently - for a small time tunnel rat with only a few hundred jumps:

airfare
hotel
car rental

Fuck that.

Must be nice work if you can get it. Wish I had about 15k in the bank to build up the skills to have that job.
cavete terrae.

normiss

One I've heard recently - for a small time tunnel rat with only a few hundred jumps: $300 a day with paid slots on all jumps, airfare, hotel, car rental. Fuck that.

That does seem a bit ridiculous doesn't it?

We load organizers at the (late) WFFC got our registration paid, our jumps comp'ed, and the opportunity to purchase the official WFFC jackets for half price. Some of the best organizers from around the world came to the WFFC at their own expense to participate.

We also got the opportunity to jump with our great friends from around the world, (which is what it is really about). People that are our friends to this day. Isn't that enough payment?

True story: When I was in charge of the load organizers at the WFFC for years, Danny Page asked about helping. He told me, "Now you know, I normally get $300 per day for doing this?" I said, "I know Danny, but this is the WFFC. We volunteer here."

He grumbled, but I know Danny had fun, even if he wasn't a "paid" organizer.

NWFlyer

I don't like "package deal" boogie fees except in particular cases - the special event exotic boogies where the organizer is essentially "building a DZ from the ground up." In that case, I think it makes sense, as the organizer has to put quite a bit on the line just to make the event happen, and few would be willing to risk it without knowing how much money was going to come in from the boogie fees. People putting together those boogies need committed dollars, and I've no problem paying for a package in those circumstances. Of course, the math on those usually works out that the per jump cost is significantly more that at "normal" boogies, but you're paying for a unique experience in a cool location, and for the extra cost it takes to make jumping there happen.

But if you're holding the boogie at an established dropzone, using existing facilities and the only additional costs are for special aircraft and a few additional amenities (caterers, entertainment, etc.), I'd much prefer a registration fee that covers those extra costs, and nothing else. I can decide how many jumps I want to make on any particular day based on my budget, my mood, the weather, etc.

+1

LuckyMcSwervy

"and I get to fuck the local hot piece of ass."

Hey. I don't put out that easy.

:o

Right!

You know he does . . .:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

peek

***One I've heard recently - for a small time tunnel rat with only a few hundred jumps: $300 a day with paid slots on all jumps, airfare, hotel, car rental. Fuck that.

That does seem a bit ridiculous doesn't it?

We load organizers at the (late) WFFC got our registration paid, our jumps comp'ed, and the opportunity to purchase the official WFFC jackets for half price. Some of the best organizers from around the world came to the WFFC at their own expense to participate.

We also got the opportunity to jump with our great friends from around the world, (which is what it is really about). People that are our friends to this day. Isn't that enough payment?

True story: When I was in charge of the load organizers at the WFFC for years, Danny Page asked about helping. He told me, "Now you know, I normally get $300 per day for doing this?" I said, "I know Danny, but this is the WFFC. We volunteer here."

He grumbled, but I know Danny had fun, even if he wasn't a "paid" organizer.

in full agreement with both of these guys.

Some compensation is due, and free jumps never hurt... but room, airfare, car etc is overdoing it. imho Hell we HARDLY even give the PILOTS that,,, when an out of town turbine visits...B|;).... and pilots are waaay more important. :P

There was a time when skills, including organizing, were shared more freely because it was done among friends....
Now sadly, like many other things in life, economics intrudes...and so some things change.

As for boogie Fees,, a necessary fact of life. And very appropriate for sites where the locations are NOT an operating DZ.

siucc !! :o:PB|

:)

DanG

airfare
hotel
car rental

Fuck that.

You'd be closer if you changed the last line to, "and I get to fuck the local hot piece of ass."

Or the DZO's GF/wife/daughter/etc... :o
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My home DZ (that you have been known to frequent, Mark!) doesn't have a boogie fee at all. Entertainment is arranged some nights, and Stupid Skydiver Tricks (a.k.a. contests/talent shows) organized on other nights. The Cafe plans dinners most nights that you can buy, or not. If a competition is arragned, a fee is determined for participants. That covers things like judges, equipment and video support, as needed. Sometimes it even goes toward prizes.

Vendors come to do their own business. Spend money with them or not, as you choose. Camping out? Pay for type of camping support you use, or pay for a hotel room in town.

I would like to see them design/arrange for a special t-shirt, but again, I'd be happy if that was just an option to purchase. BTW, this is also a good suggestion for any DZ that hosts Nationals -- create a commemorative t-shirt style for purchase. One that is markedly different from the one you give to competitors, yet still cool enough that I would want to buy it. :)
Regardless, boogies at my home DZ are a totally free-market event, with some additional organization provided by the DZ.

OTOH, I also agree with charging a fee for an event like Fitz. That's a DZ that gets set up from the ground up for the duration, but the prices are totally reasonable, IMHO.

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

That's an event though -- seems even like a workshop -- not a boogie. Like I said, they charged appropriate costs for competitions and the like, but not to attend/participate in/enjoy a boogie.

And yeah, I was talking about ZHills. I didn't want to seem to be promoting any one DZ in Bonfire! :P

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I get annoyed when there is some special event going on that demands a boogie fee. And all I want to do is show up and make my normal jumps, and not participate in any of the boogie activities. I don't want the t-shirt, won't be sticking around for the evening meal or free beer. Can I just pay for my jumps like I always do? Oh no, we can't allow that. The end result is either I'm forced to spend money on a boogie fee from which I'll benefit nothing, or I'll have to go home and not get to jump. This sucks.

Boogers

I get annoyed when there is some special event going on that demands a boogie fee. And all I want to do is show up and make my normal jumps, and not participate in any of the boogie activities. I don't want the t-shirt, won't be sticking around for the evening meal or free beer. Can I just pay for my jumps like I always do? Oh no, we can't allow that. The end result is either I'm forced to spend money on a boogie fee from which I'll benefit nothing, or I'll have to go home and not get to jump. This sucks.

I agree. I noticed that some DZs have hijacked holidays for their boogies. I get the holidays off of work like many, but I just want to jump. Don't care about the boogie stuff.

Boogers

I get annoyed when there is some special event going on that demands a boogie fee. And all I want to do is show up and make my normal jumps, and not participate in any of the boogie activities.

I've been to a few boogies where some of the locals are jumping but not paying the fee. Okay, fine, no tshirt for you. But then when I see them in the food line. . . :|

JohnMitchell

***I get annoyed when there is some special event going on that demands a boogie fee. And all I want to do is show up and make my normal jumps, and not participate in any of the boogie activities.

I've been to a few boogies where some of the locals are jumping but not paying the fee. Okay, fine, no tshirt for you. But then when I see them in the food line. . . :|

I've seen that before. I think some of us who are hardworking and are perceived to "have money" get the shaft and taken advantage over with stuff like that.

One night last season at the dropzone I put in money for pizza ($10) and didn't get but one finger diddled small slice and I wasn't even told when it arrived. People who didn't ante up were digging in. I was pissed. I hate freeloaders. If you hate being poor then get another effing job to afford to keep up with the others. :|
Always be kinder than you feel.

I just want to know how much a Bouncy House Boogie is!:)

:P

PROBABLY a few posters here will remember the reference.

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

LuckyMcSwervy

******I get annoyed when there is some special event going on that demands a boogie fee. And all I want to do is show up and make my normal jumps, and not participate in any of the boogie activities.

I've seen that before. I think some of us who are hardworking and are perceived to "have money" get the shaft and taken advantage over with stuff like that.

One night last season at the dropzone I put in money for pizza ($10) and didn't get but one finger diddled small slice and I wasn't even told when it arrived. People who didn't ante up were digging in. I was pissed. I hate freeloaders. If you hate being poor then get another effing job to afford to keep up with the others. :|

Not sure that has anything to do with someone being poor or not. I know honest and trustworthy people who are poor.
That seems like it was more about spoiled, thieving, dishonest douchebags.

Doug_Davis

*********I get annoyed when there is some special event going on that demands a boogie fee. And all I want to do is show up and make my normal jumps, and not participate in any of the boogie activities.

Not sure that has anything to do with someone being poor or not. I know honest and trustworthy people who are poor.
That seems like it was more about spoiled, thieving, dishonest douchebags.

I like the way you put it much better. :)
Always be kinder than you feel.

I just want to know how much a Bouncy House Boogie is!

We think of that story every time one of Mark's daughters gets a bouncy house for her son's birthday. Who knows what kinds of germs are in those things.:|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

I just want to know how much a Bouncy House Boogie is!

We think of that story every time one of Mark's daughters gets a bouncy house for her son's birthday. Who knows what kinds of germs are in those things.:|

Or fluids . . .

DO NOT BRING A BLACK LIGHT!:o