normiss

Boogie fees?!?!?!!!

Is it just me or do prices seem to approaching the limit?

Not a complaint at all, but....I'm seeing some pricey boogies and events these days.
At what point do we stop going because of the price?

Does it depend on what is included?
Distance?
Location of the boogie?

I still remember the $30 boogies as the best deal.
Aircraft, one dinner, maybe some beer, a goodie bag, and a shirt....now days it seems to just be "admission".

normiss

Not a complaint at all, but....I'm seeing some pricey boogies and events these days.

Distance?
Location of the boogie?

Aircraft, one dinner, maybe some beer, a goodie bag, and a shirt....now days it seems to just be "admission".

Hell, I still remember the Mullins' $99 Boogie Til Ya Pukes! You show up with one rig, pay $99, and jump all weekend, as many jumps as you can for that price from a King Air that got to 15K ft in 7 minutes.

Those were the good old days. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

***Is it just me or do prices seem to approaching the limit?

Distance?
Location of the boogie?

Hell, I still remember the Mullins' $99 Boogie Til Ya Pukes! You show up with one rig, pay $99, and jump all weekend, as many jumps as you can for that price from a King Air that got to 15K ft in 7 minutes.

I remember when 25 got you dinner AND A T SHIRT.

Anyone seen Spence?:D:):)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

normiss

This was not aimed at anyone.
Nor is the next boogie the one I thought of.

I didn't imply it was, I was just Poking Spence . . .

For the record, it is not the boogie cost that is keeping me from going . . . I just figure that every once in a while, people should be Turtleless.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

I held mine at $30 for a long time. I think we went to $40 last year. There are some events that the fees can almost be justified, some are just profiteering.

There are some events that bring in a lot of big name organizers, lots of planes, entertainment and so on. Those I can see the fees but what you have is the many paying for the few when it comes to the organizer situation. I refuse to do that and catch a lot of grief for it as you know.

Others, you have a DZ that already has the venue,planes and such, they bring in a couple organizers and a grill and charge out the ass.

I know this was not pointed at me but will just throw this out there. I like to think I put on a pretty good event for what we charge. I have thought hard every time we raised our fee and I've never raised it just because I cold. I think that is why some are so high and if I was going to price our event where I think I could get away with I think I could get $65-75. I might have to add one or two "big names" for that but who cares, the money would be coming out of everyone else s pockets.

See everyone in a couple of days. all the cool kids will be there.:)

turtlespeed

***This was not aimed at anyone.

For the record, it is not the boogie cost that is keeping me from going . . . I just figure that every once in a while, people should be Turtleless.:ph34r:

What happen Spence ban crutches? :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

******This was not aimed at anyone.

What happen Spence ban crutches? :ph34r:

Not EXACTLY . . . :)

BillyVance

Parachute?
You were lucky to have a parachute!
All we had was an old bed sheet with pieces of twine tied to the corners.[:/]

But seriously, I did catch one of those $99 boogies.
I was driving from IN to TX that weekend, making the trip between college and my co-op job, so I just varied my route a little to make a stopover in TN.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

BillyVance

***Is it just me or do prices seem to approaching the limit?

Distance?
Location of the boogie?

We host a $100 all you can jump day every President's Day. It's still the good old daysB|

normiss

Distance?
Location of the boogie?

I can tell ya one thing: American jumpers would _shit a fucking brick_ at Australian boogie fees.

This was one of the bigger ones last year:

Registration
• Early Bird Rego Pack - $1600 (closes 31st July 2013)
• Late Rego Pack - $1800
• Daily Rego - $60

Early Bird & Late Rego Packs include:
• rego fee
• 30 jumps (additional event tickets at a discounted rate)
• three meals a day for 9 days (drinks not included)
• t-shirt
• boogie DVD
• nightly raffle for the duration of the event
• nightly entertainment including theme nights & DJ
cavete terrae.

I don't like "package deal" boogie fees except in particular cases - the special event exotic boogies where the organizer is essentially "building a DZ from the ground up." In that case, I think it makes sense, as the organizer has to put quite a bit on the line just to make the event happen, and few would be willing to risk it without knowing how much money was going to come in from the boogie fees. People putting together those boogies need committed dollars, and I've no problem paying for a package in those circumstances. Of course, the math on those usually works out that the per jump cost is significantly more that at "normal" boogies, but you're paying for a unique experience in a cool location, and for the extra cost it takes to make jumping there happen.

But if you're holding the boogie at an established dropzone, using existing facilities and the only additional costs are for special aircraft and a few additional amenities (caterers, entertainment, etc.), I'd much prefer a registration fee that covers those extra costs, and nothing else. I can decide how many jumps I want to make on any particular day based on my budget, my mood, the weather, etc.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

normiss

Aircraft, one dinner, maybe some beer, a goodie bag, and a shirt....

All of the above at Lost Prairie last year. Kokanee every evening, T-shirt, goodie bag (I think), great barbecue pork dinner on Saturday (it was all you could eat, basically, 'cause they let yo back in line once the chow line slowed down.) Add free camping and showers, super clean porta potties.

I sure got my $$$ worth. B|

Shoot, see ya there, Normiss. :)

ianyapxw

Let's do some math:

30 jumps = $1080 @ $36 each
8 nights stay = $120 @ $15 each

So basically:
Registration, 27 meals, shirt, DVD, raffle, entertainment cost you $400 [:/]:|[:/]

How much are American boogies nowadays anyway?

$0-30 for the whole event is what I'm used to seeing, and that'd better include a decent meal or a shirt or something.

I'm a notorious cheapass when it comes to non-jumping side costs, though. I'd rather eat PBJ sandwiches for a week and get a few more jumps with the money saved, so catered meals to me just seem like a waste unless it's something special (the pork chops the size of a plate at my old home DZ's boogie qualified!)
cavete terrae.

It was an AWESOME boogie too Grue :)
I'm going to be at a SoCal boogie this weekend it costs $2750USD, the boogie is 10 days long.
And im happy with the priceB|

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?