elcobi2004

Skydivers Around LA?

elcobi2004

Hey guys

I'll be moving to LA next tuesday, I've never been out there before. I'm really looking just to maybe meet new people that can show me around, maybe a place to crash for a day or two, and show me their perspective of LA, or something like that.

Thanks
Ricardo
[email protected]

Welcome.
I have family out in LA (who work in the entertainment business) and I know the city quite well. here are a few tips and tricks:

1. Stay away from the touristy areas as they often are, well, geared for tourists. These include Hollywood blvd, Sunset or any area within a 2 mile radius north or south of the hills. 1 time visit is ok, just to say you've been there.

2. Best Mexican food, bar none, is in North Hollywood also known as The Valley. The Valley is also the armpit of LA...not fond of it but has very good food.

3. Best Chineese food, bar non, is in San Gabriel or China Town. I'd avoid China town cuz a) let's face it, most likely those Asians are not the best drivers and 2) while the food is good the prices are just a tad more than in the San Gabriel valley.

4. Farmer's market on La Brea and Fairfax...it is a tourist destination so if you are inclined to go there i'd recommend going on a weekday (early in the morning) and you might catch a "star" or two.

5. Santa Monica beach..awesome place but the water is really dirty you can feel it being really dirty. I'd recommend Zuma Beach for surfing or Leo Carillo for scuba diving. Also you have to try out Neptunes Catch for the best fish and chips west of the missisippi.

6. Crenshaw has a bad reputation from all the gang movies in the 90's...however The Jungle, as it is affectionately called, has some of the best bbq and soul food in LA. Baby Blues or Cecille's is a great place to start.

7. Motorcycles..if you ride a motorcycle you can legally split lanes but cannot go any faster than 10mph above traffic.

8. Orange County rivalry. You live in LA support the Kings, Clippers, Dodgers, or Lakers (well maybe not the Lakers). You live in OC support the Ducks or Angels.

Thanks

Where in LA are you moving?

Some places I'd recommend checking out is the Santa Monica pier and 3rd Street Promenade. You should also check out Venice Beach. All of them are great places to walk around and relax, plus there is some great people watching.

Griffith Park Observatory is also a great place. If you're into science its got some really cool displays. If not, its still got some great views of the area and there's some good hiking in the area.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

airtwardo

North Hollywood also known as The Valley.

Ummmm HUH? :o

Yeah :)Anything north of the Hollywood sign just over the hills and west of Pasadena is just known as "The Valley". Contrary to popular believe The Valley does has its own unique style and accent (the use of works like "like", "fur sure", "totally", etc) but it is only a very small population. Most of the The Valley is populated with Latino so the style is more like "yeah esse".

GooniesKid

Yeah :)Anything north of the Hollywood sign just over the hills and west of Pasadena is just known as "The Valley". Contrary to popular believe The Valley does has its own unique style and accent (the use of works like "like", "fur sure", "totally", etc) but it is only a very small population. Most of the The Valley is populated with Latino so the style is more like "yeah esse".

Usually everything north of the Hollywood Hills.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

mjosparky

Usually everything north of the Hollywood Hills.

Sparky

LOL! I love that line of demarcation :P

Yes, everything north of that line :)