skymama

I survived a triple malfunction canopy ride. Woohoo!

Is there a club I get to join now? B|

First mal: risers were packed incorrectly by a packer at a boogie, so they didn't release from the tuck tabs.
Second mal: Only the right riser cover released when I cut away, so that sent me into a spin as I was hung up on the left side.
Third mal: Reserve opened in line twists. I finally cleared it all at 1000' and had an off dz landing.

Whew! I suggest you check how your risers are packed if you use a packer. I know I will from now on. :|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

LuckyMcSwervy

Holy moley! When I saw your pictures of you looking for your handle I didn't dream it was a scary series of events . I'm so glad you're safe!! Did Mark see this go down? Buy a lottery ticket!!

Where did you see a picture of her looking for her handle? :$

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Congrats! Nothing boosts confidence in this sport more than taking care of business when the time comes.

You are right about that! A whuffo friend asked me at what point did I start crying. I didn't cry at all, not even afterwards. I was mad the first day and then just focused the second day on trying to figure the whole thing out. By the third day, I was like, "damn, I did everything I was supposed to do. Yay!" I have always been apprehensive about an off dz landing and if I would handle that appropriately, so that boosted my confidence two-fold. AND, I stood up the landing! :)
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

No, I usually pull higher than he does and he didn't see me.

Well, at least I'M glad you ain't dead.

seriously . . . Glad j'ain't dead.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

skymama

Congrats! Nothing boosts confidence in this sport more than taking care of business when the time comes.

You are right about that! A whuffo friend asked me at what point did I start crying. I didn't cry at all, not even afterwards. I was mad the first day and then just focused the second day on trying to figure the whole thing out. By the third day, I was like, "damn, I did everything I was supposed to do. Yay!" I have always been apprehensive about an off dz landing and if I would handle that appropriately, so that boosted my confidence two-fold. AND, I stood up the landing! :)

Didn't you at least tell the packer "FUCK YOU!" :D

Glad you made it down safely unhurt! B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

skymama

First mal: risers were packed incorrectly by a packer at a boogie, so they didn't release from the tuck tabs. Second mal: Only the right riser cover released when I cut away, so that sent me into a spin as I was hung up on the left side. Third mal: Reserve opened in line twists. I finally cleared it all at 1000' and had an off dz landing.

When you cut-away, did that leave you with the main parachute in-tow behind you, connected by the remaining riser cover?

Did you have to dump the reserve out past the main chute being dragged behind you?

When/how did you get clear of the main?

is your rig RSL equipped ?

and if so ,,, it must have been connected to the riser which DIDN'T release, at the instant of CUTAWAY..

good thing for that...:o

did you physically peel the riser off the large ring ?
was the main fully Gone, before the reserve container opened????[:/]

had you already made a jump or two?
an off field landing can be challenging under a main...
to accomplish it under your reserve is a confidence builder. Glad that you're OK
:)

ah,, thanks normiss...

does the skyhook have a "fail safe" for just this situation?? ( sorry that I am NOT certain of it's routing )
wherein it won't activate the reserve , till BOTH risers leave???
still,, having to manually Peel that riser OFF, is a bit extreme... No???

safety first and what the hell, safety second, too.

WHOA!!!
I don't check in fro a few years and look what happens! LOl

So, these were back to back (to back) reserve rides?
I'm Confused.

First was a resereve ride. second and third were on a second jump?

Glad j'ain't dead, either.

Edited:
I dont know why I was confused. But, I re-read. it makes sense the way you typed it.

Crazy. glad j'ain't dead.
My photos

My Videos

When you cut-away, did that leave you with the main parachute in-tow behind you, connected by the remaining riser cover?

Yes.

Did you have to dump the reserve out past the main chute being dragged behind you?

When/how did you get clear of the main?

Once I had the parachute-in-tow situation, I was put into a spin facing the ground. I thought, "I'm going to die in this cotton field" and then my next thought was, "Hell No! I'm not dying in this cotton field!" and with much determination I started twisting my shoulders to try to get the main to release. When the release didn't happen, I pulled my reserve handle. I wasn't thinking about what would happen if my reserve went into my main. I just knew I had only a handful of seconds left to save my life and I was going to try everything I knew to get the main to release. Thankfully, all went well. I'm sure my reserve opened in line twists because of my body position (Remi, you were right about that! :P)

From one report from a friend who saw the spin from the ground, "it was ugly".

had you already made a jump or two?
an off field landing can be challenging under a main...
to accomplish it under your reserve is a confidence builder. Glad that you're OK
Smile

That was my third jump of the day. It's funny because I told Normiss I didn't want to do a balloon jump at this boogie because I wasn't confident in my canopy skills if I had to find an alternate landing area in a city (I've done one in the desert before). I don't need to worry about that anymore! :ph34r: