skymama

I survived a triple malfunction canopy ride. Woohoo!

skymama

We had arranged for someone to pack for us, but she passed my rig off to her friend when she got busy. He's been packing since last summer, but he's not a skydiver. [:/]

Now that's an interesting wrinkle. Did you trust this other guy's packing and would you have been comfortable with it if you had known he had done the pack job?

Because I'm thinking that you choose your packer carefully, because you know and trust them, and you expect THEM to do the pack job. If that packer then gives it to some other person without your knowledge, then that act kind of violates the trust that you placed in them to personally care for your rig.

Now that's an interesting wrinkle. Did you trust this other guy's packing and would you have been comfortable with it if you had known he had done the pack job?

We weren't too happy about being passed off, but we trusted her that he is a good packer because we trust her pack jobs and she taught him. (She was packing for the Organizers) When I picked up my rig after the first pack job, the bridle of the pilot chute was sticking out of the pocket a little too much for my liking. The canopy opened fine though, so I brushed it off.

For the second pack job, Normiss asked him to pack the bridle a different way at the closing loop, the "new" way for Vectors. When I picked it up, the bridle hadn't been packed the way that was requested and the bridle was still sticking out farther than I like on my pilot chute. As we were gearing up, we decided we weren't going to use him anymore, even if it did make for hard feelings. Then the malfunction jump happened, so that was the end of the boogie for me anyway.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

He's been packing since last summer, but he's not a skydiver.

I've always had mixed feelings about packers who've never made a skydive themselves. Oh, I know, there are some excellent ones out there, and I really mean no disparagement. But it seems to me that there's nothing quite like having the experience, yourself, of actually relying on a parachute to save you from otherwise-certain death to make you most fully appreciate the solemn gravity of what you're doing when you pack someone else's parachute. It's a parachute, FFS, not an oil change.

P.S. - glad beyond words you're OK.

Our assumption of trust with the packer we had the agreement with was flat wrong.

It won't happen again.

I'm angry at him, I'm angry with the packer we had arrangements with, I'm angry at myself for not catching the mistake, and I'm angry at myself for not seeing her having the mal in the air and landing off with her..
Stoopid pocket rocket canopy.
:D:D:D

LuckyMcSwervy

***My bark is worse than my bite.

I don't see myself fighting over this...more of an expression of anger at an idiot.
You can't beat stupid people smart.
Unfortunately.
:P

Unfortunately is right. :D

On the other hand, I have noticed that often what appears to be stupid is actually just laziness or sloppiness. Now those can be corrected with adequate amounts of the proper motivation.:)

SecondRound

******My bark is worse than my bite.

I don't see myself fighting over this...more of an expression of anger at an idiot.
Unfortunately.

On the other hand, I have noticed that often what appears to be stupid is actually just laziness or sloppiness. Now those can be corrected with adequate amounts of the proper motivation.:)

Ain't nobody got time for that. :P
Always be kinder than you feel.

LuckyMcSwervy

*********My bark is worse than my bite.

Unfortunately.

Ain't nobody got time for that. :P

:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I thought you had a step through when you were telling me about your cussing and fussing.Smile

Wayne, I kept meaning to send you a message of thanks, but I got too busy with trying to catch up with life after going to the boogie. It was YOU who put the idea in my head that it could have been riser cover trouble. Thank you! :)
I owe you a beer or three. B|
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

First of all, great job Andrea! A triple mal, wow! Now to address the "Club" to join, it's called "BEER!" Smile After all, that was a 1st for you, and God willing, the last triple. Great job of not going into sensory over load. About checking the risers, I do that each and every pre-jump inspection. To think you were 1,000 AGL and had everything cleared and had the off DZ landing is incredible. Again, great job!

Thanks! For the record, that was my third reserve ride. Sensory overload wasn't a problem at all. I was more annoyed than anything. When I decided to cut away, I was calm, but cussing. :ph34r: I took a deep breath and said to myself, "here we go!", and pulled my handle. It was suggested that maybe I had a weak pull that caused all this and I said, no way. I was totally into that pull!

I've had some newbies messaging me, and one thing I want to stress for them is paying attention to that hard deck. Altitude was my friend on this jump and helped me be able to land safely and walk away.

And I just want to add something about my packer...yes, I believe he packed my rig incorrectly. But, he's a nice guy. He felt bad! I don't believe for a second that he intended to pack a malfunction for me. He's a human; humans make mistakes. I'm not going to say his name or where he's located, I don't want this one instance to ruin his future in packing for others. It happened, I'm fine. And, I bet he won't make that mistake again!

skymama

And I just want to add something about my packer...yes, I believe he packed my rig incorrectly. But, he's a nice guy. He felt bad! I don't believe for a second that he intended to pack a malfunction for me. He's a human; humans make mistakes. I'm not going to say his name or where he's located, I don't want this one instance to ruin his future in packing for others. It happened, I'm fine. And, I bet he won't make that mistake again!

The important things!! B|
Always be kinder than you feel.

skymama

Word on the street is he was last seen calling a vacuum cleaner store in Albuquerque, and no one has seen him since then.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

LuckyMcSwervy

And I said it in my head just like her as I was typing it. :$

I never new where that came from until just now! And I hear it all the time.

Sweet Brown. Interesting. Good for her
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

skymama

Good for you.

You pay your money, you take your chances.

Really glad you are ok Andrea.

wildcard451

***And I just want to add something about my packer...yes, I believe he packed my rig incorrectly. But, he's a nice guy. He felt bad! I don't believe for a second that he intended to pack a malfunction for me. He's a human; humans make mistakes. I'm not going to say his name or where he's located, I don't want this one instance to ruin his future in packing for others. It happened, I'm fine. And, I bet he won't make that mistake again!

Good for you.

You pay your money, you take your chances.

Really glad you are ok Andrea.

What bottle did you buy your rigger?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun