skymama

I survived a triple malfunction canopy ride. Woohoo!

I'm glad this all turned out well :)
You can continue greeting noobs at the "introduction and greets" ;)

Whuffo question, I assumed your main opened properly, only the risers didn't open, leaving your body at a weird angle? Is this actually a high speed or low speed mal?

ianyapxw

I'm glad this all turned out well :)
You can continue greeting noobs at the "introduction and greets" ;)

Whuffo question, I assumed your main opened properly, only the risers didn't open, leaving your body at a weird angle? Is this actually a high speed or low speed mal?

It sounds like it was both low and high speed;)

Low speed prior to cutting away, high speed afterwards and hung up on one riser.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Thanks for all of the well wishes! It's nice to know that people are glad I'm not dead yet. :)
Nigel is right that it was a low speed mal when the risers were still closed up, but it quickly turned into a high speed, spinning mal while I was dangling from only the left riser as it remained closed.

Here is a photo of the riser cover area on my Vector 3 where it says to put the risers on top of the inner flap. We believe both sets of risers were placed under that flap. Normiss and I came to this conclusion after messing with the rig after the jump. We ran the risers correctly, closed the tuck tabs and pulled down on the rig, and the tuck tabs opened appropriately. We ran the risers incorrectly, closed the tuck tabs and pulled down on the rig, and the tuck tabs didn't release. Try this on your own rigs while you are unpacked and see if you get the same results (assuming you have the same type of gear and not magnetic riser covers).

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Ok, so let's play the guessing game.

Vector 3 with those super big tuck tabs?? [edit - yeah, you posted that before I got this post done] And risers packed under them. Bill Booth likes magnets, perhaps partially because he built the rig with the biggest tuck tabs in the industry for many years.

So the right riser departs, and since it was said you have a Skyhook, that right riser is trying to pull the reserve pin. But it doesn't, maybe because of luck and that there's a shit load of velcro built into that RSL/Skyhook design. If it had pulled the RSL off the velcro, the Collins lanyard would be cutting you away on the left side. Great idea normally, but useless to you since you had already pulled out the cutaway cable.

So the RSL/Skyhook might have been close to dumping your reserve while still connected to the main.

Although in the end that's what you had to do anyway.

I've done an intentional cutaway where I chopped one side first, and the resultant spin was pretty impressive -- 360 degrees a second even with a 200 sq ft F-111 canopy.

You must not have been having fun!

(As for your no crying comment, that's better than the character Sandra Bullock played in the movie Gravity. That character got so terribly whiny and screamy every time she thought she was about to die. )

jtval

WHOA!!!
I don't check in fro a few years and look what happens! LOl

So, these were back to back (to back) reserve rides?
I'm Confused.

First was a resereve ride. second and third were on a second jump?

Glad j'ain't dead, either.

Edited:
I dont know why I was confused. But, I re-read. it makes sense the way you typed it.

Crazy. glad j'ain't dead.

What - you think she's Bolas or sumpi'n
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

normiss

I think this is about the time you said you started cussing like I do.
:D

Lesson learned about her gear for sure.

We both need to clearly understand each other's gear.
B|

It would be good for everyone to be versed in the different manufacturers correct configuration, so gear checks can be more beneficial.

I don't know if I would have caught the riser cover thing.

I will NOW that I know what to look for.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

You must not have been having fun!

(As for your no crying comment, that's better than the character Sandra Bullock played in the movie Gravity. That character got so terribly whiny and screamy every time she thought she was about to die. )

You are correct. The freefall was fun, the canopy ride...not so much!
And Normiss is right; I apparently have a pretty bad potty mouth when I am stressed. I think I said "fuck" on that jump more than I've said in my whole life. :$:ph34r:
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

I think I said "fuck" on that jump more than I've said in my whole life. :$:ph34r:

I love it when a girl talks dirty!;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

normiss

You should have heard her AFTER the incident.
:)

SO wha'd you do, give her a hug and tell her "here, have a bottle of wine, woman!"

:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

skymama

Is there a club I get to join now? B|

First mal: risers were packed incorrectly by a packer at a boogie, so they didn't release from the tuck tabs.
Second mal: Only the right riser cover released when I cut away, so that sent me into a spin as I was hung up on the left side.
Third mal: Reserve opened in line twists. I finally cleared it all at 1000' and had an off dz landing.

Whew! I suggest you check how your risers are packed if you use a packer. I know I will from now on. :|

I am thinking that yes... several clubs... buying your rigger a bottle of his choice:ph34r: There hav e to be some beer or wine fines there somewhere as well:)

turtlespeed

It would be good for everyone to be versed in the different manufacturers correct configuration, so gear checks can be more beneficial.

Um, yes. But... if you're not familiar with someone else's rig, don't go messing with it without their permission. You're likely to make things worse rather than better.

normiss

Fuck him.

He's lucky he didn't get his ass kicked.

there ya' GO...;)
as for the "rigger who doesn't drink " First of all Hang ONTO Him !!!B|

and second , see if he likes smoked brisket...B|
skymama .. good explanation of the event and pchapman, thanks for the follow up.

jmy

I am thinking that yes... several clubs... buying your rigger a bottle of his choiceSly There hav e to be some beer or wine fines there somewhere as well

All of that happened on the same jump this past weekend, it wasn't my first reserve ride though.

My Rigger said he likes cookies! :ph34r:

And, no, Normiss didn't pack my rig. We had arranged for someone to pack for us, but she passed my rig off to her friend when she got busy. He's been packing since last summer, but he's not a skydiver. [:/]