npgraphicdesign

Kitchen/appliances dilemma

So..currently I am renting an apartment from a family friend. Very old appliances, fridge has been replaces already...and on the day that there was the gas leak/explosion in the Bronx about 100 streets away from me, the super called and said he had to go in my apartment and shut off (and disconnect) my stove because it was leaking gas!

My dilemma: the landlord decided to sell the apartment this year, and I'm looking to buy a place in Brooklyn. But since that won't happen for at least 4-5 months, I need to figure out a way to cook my food. The problem is that the kitchen is so old it's a virtual guarantee the new owner will want to replace all of the appliances, cabinets, etc...basically do an overhaul. Even though the landlord said she wants to pay for a stove, the cheapest basic stove I found was around 650-750 (that's including delivery, installation and getting rid of the old one.)

So, what are my options if I don't get a stove? Any suggestions?

Aren't the landlord's required to make sure you have functioning appliances per your lease agreement? The price of the stove isn't your concern. Family friend or not, chop chop, get me working appliances ASAP. I'm a bitch with those things. That's the reason why I don't do business with friends or family.

Anyway, you're in New York EFFING City.... amazing restaurants and take out is my suggestion.
Always be kinder than you feel.

LuckyMcSwervy

Aren't the landlord's required to make sure you have functioning appliances per your lease agreement? The price of the stove isn't your concern. Family friend or not, chop chop, get me working appliances ASAP. I'm a bitch with those things. That's the reason why I don't do business with friends or family.

Anyway, you're in New York EFFING City.... amazing restaurants and take out is my suggestion.

She's a really good family friend. And first thing she did was give me her credit card info and said 'go buy a stove'. After I priced it out, it turned out to be quite expensive. And considering how little she charges me for rent (I'm paying about a 1/3 of what i'd pay for a similar apartment if I was in an official lease agreement) I want to talk to her first and see if she's ok spending almost $800 on something that will potentially be disposed off 6 months later.

npgraphicdesign

***Aren't the landlord's required to make sure you have functioning appliances per your lease agreement? The price of the stove isn't your concern. Family friend or not, chop chop, get me working appliances ASAP. I'm a bitch with those things. That's the reason why I don't do business with friends or family.

She's a really good family friend. And first thing she did was give me her credit card info and said 'go buy a stove'. After I priced it out, it turned out to be quite expensive. And considering how little she charges me for rent (I'm paying about a 1/3 of what i'd pay for a similar apartment if I was in an official lease agreement) I want to talk to her first and see if she's ok spending almost $800 on something that will potentially be disposed off 6 months later.

See? Emotions involved worrying about what she'd deem expensive for a short period of time. What you pay in rent doesn't matter. Buy it and be done!!
Always be kinder than you feel.

Induction burner, toaster oven and microwave should work fine.
Also, for the oven...is there a Habitat for Humanity nearby? Often people will donate perfectly good appliances and you can get a good deal there.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

This is a great hot plate, and cheap. Or you can go electric, and not have to replace canisters. With a decent toaster oven (and yes, used goods stores are your friends -- even Goodwill might have toaster ovens), you can do just about anything -- I cook a lot, and almost never use the regular oven. And a counter-top microwave (which you might already have).

For really cheap, there's always one of these and a lot of ramen :ph34r:

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

npgraphicdesign

***Aren't the landlord's required to make sure you have functioning appliances per your lease agreement? The price of the stove isn't your concern. Family friend or not, chop chop, get me working appliances ASAP. I'm a bitch with those things. That's the reason why I don't do business with friends or family.

It sounds like you might be "assuming" that she would get rid of it prior to the sale. Best to talk with her and see if she wants a short-term cheapo or something that can help with the transition and remain with the apartment. If cheapo... I checked your local craigslist. Lotsa 200-3000 stoves for sale.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

******Aren't the landlord's required to make sure you have functioning appliances per your lease agreement? The price of the stove isn't your concern. Family friend or not, chop chop, get me working appliances ASAP. I'm a bitch with those things. That's the reason why I don't do business with friends or family.

It sounds like you might be "assuming" that she would get rid of it prior to the sale. Best to talk with her and see if she wants a short-term cheapo or something that can help with the transition and remain with the apartment. If cheapo... I checked your local craigslist. Lotsa 200-3000 stoves for sale.

Guess I wasn't clear. ;) I meant that the future buyers would most likely get rid of it. Her real estate agent thought so too. Before I moved in, she had the apartment for almost 25 year, and in that time there have been no renovations of any kind done. The kitchen looks like it was built back in the 80s...because..well..it was. :D Actually, someone just moved into an apartment four doors down...and they tore out the interior completely and rebuilt it before they did. So...ya...:S

I do ok with a hot plate and a small toaster oven. I can't cook everything I would like, but it's ok. Especially of it's for the short-term.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

npgraphicdesign

Guess I wasn't clear. ;) I meant that the future buyers would most likely get rid of it. Her real estate agent thought so too. Before I moved in, she had the apartment for almost 25 year, and in that time there have been no renovations of any kind done. The kitchen looks like it was built back in the 80s...because..well..it was. :D Actually, someone just moved into an apartment four doors down...and they tore out the interior completely and rebuilt it before they did. So...ya...:S

So, your landlord won't actually be "out" any money, since she's going to sell the place, and the new stove with it. Unless you want to take that new stove with you and buy it off of her when you leave/buy your new place, that's something for the new owners to worry about.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!