k_marr08

Stolen Gear from Sacramento

Hey everyone. My friend's gear was stolen out of a car last night in Sacramento, CA, along with a bunch of his friend's gear (I don't have any info on the friend's gear aside from the fact that it includes a wingsuit, skydiving rig, BASE rig, gopros, hard drives, and a laptop) - please be on the lookout for these:

-Complete rig: Javelin blue and white tie-dye container with RSL and freefly handle on PC, with pillow cutaway and reserve handles, Sabre 2 170 blue and white striped main, green PDR 160, and a cypres with about 2.5 years left on it (can't remember if it's a cypres 1 or 2...will update in comments)
-bright orange Tonysuits Apache wingsuit, with grey accents
-2009 15" macbook pro with BASE-related stickers on it
-A pinkish-red altimaster glow in the dark altimeter (some scratches)
-2 go pros (not sure if silver/black or what version, will update later)
-2 jackets
-arcteryx hard shell, brown/tan
-grey golite backpack
-dark grey BFM backpack
-tan freefly jumpsuit with white stripes down the side
-grey logbook with drawings alllllll throughout

Here's the link to a post you can share on facebook if you're feeling especially generous! Thank you for any help!! https://www.facebook.com/katientaylor.smallwood/posts/10100379898442818
"I believe the risks I take are justified by the sheer love of the life I lead" - Charles Lindbergh

Sorry this happened. [:/] Come on people! Stop leaving your gear in your vehicles!! I learned my lesson the hard way back in 1997. Gear was never recovered, nor was the logbook. >:(

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yep, I think the lesson's learned, too little too late though :(

I hope people can get the word out so if the gear shows up at a DZ it will be recognized.
"I believe the risks I take are justified by the sheer love of the life I lead" - Charles Lindbergh

I'm really sorry to hear that too [:/]
It looks to add up around $10,500 replacement cost, give or take. Does your friend have a renters/homeowners policy? that might cover the theft (minus deductible of course) and a lot of underwriters now pay claims at replacement value.

Some of the things like Jackets, gopros, backpacks and laptop are long gone, but we all know that the gear won't be flying anywhere, at least in the US.

Here in Colorado we recently had several house rigs stolen from a DZ, and a few days later numb-nuts tried selling the "used gear" to another DZ. There's always a possibility of something like that happening, so posting and letting everyone know is a VERY good thing.

----edit to include a more realistic replacement estimate----

Thanks Big Mike! Where in Colorado are you? I'm in Colorado Springs. Yep, he's got renters insurance and thankfully it's a replacement cost policy. Can't replace the logbook, or the info/photos/passwords potentially stolen from the laptops and external hard drives, and still would rather have the gear back than make the insurance company pay thousands upon thousands for new gear and have everyones' premiums go up as a result of poor judgment and lackadaisical police work, but it's a good backup if the gear doesn't show up somewhere.

If anyone happens to know how to trace a 2009 macbook pro using the serial number please send me a pm! I have a feeling the police aren't gonna be doing anything to try to get this gear back.

BillyVance

Sorry this happened. [:/] Come on people! Stop leaving your gear in your vehicles!! I learned my lesson the hard way back in 1997. Gear was never recovered, nor was the logbook. >:(

Yeah I don't want to blame the victim here, but jesus christ. How often do people get their gear stolen from anywhere but a car?
cavete terrae.

grue

***Sorry this happened. [:/] Come on people! Stop leaving your gear in your vehicles!! I learned my lesson the hard way back in 1997. Gear was never recovered, nor was the logbook. >:(

Yeah I don't want to blame the victim here, but jesus christ. How often do people get their gear stolen from anywhere but a car?

Sometimes it's unavoidable as you're going from point A to point B and need to stop somewhere; who knows what the situation was with this jumper. I do my best to avoid those situations (even if it means going out of my way a bit) but it does happen.

But once you get home, or to your hotel, or wherever you're staying... bring your shit inside! There have been several times I've come home at the end of the day, dog tired, and I don't feel like schlepping itin , and I thought about leaving my stuff in my trunk, but even with the car in a garage, I still know that it's at a higher risk than when it's inside.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

k_marr08

Thanks Big Mike! Where in Colorado are you? I'm in Colorado Springs. Yep, he's got renters insurance and thankfully it's a replacement cost policy. Can't replace the logbook, or the info/photos/passwords potentially stolen from the laptops and external hard drives, and still would rather have the gear back than make the insurance company pay thousands upon thousands for new gear and have everyones' premiums go up as a result of poor judgment and lackadaisical police work, but it's a good backup if the gear doesn't show up somewhere.

If anyone happens to know how to trace a 2009 macbook pro using the serial number please send me a pm! I have a feeling the police aren't gonna be doing anything to try to get this gear back.

there is a function in iCloud to track your mac, the same way find my iPhone works. I know I am able to log into iCloud and see the location of my mac, iPhone and iPad.

grue

***Sorry this happened. [:/] Come on people! Stop leaving your gear in your vehicles!! I learned my lesson the hard way back in 1997. Gear was never recovered, nor was the logbook. >:(

I learned my lesson. I was dog-tired from skydiving all day. Went back to the motel. Brought in my suitcase. Left the rest. Next morning, car was gone. Week later local police got a tip on the car. Found it, minus gear. Got car back as it was. Only problem was the lock never felt quite right afterwards.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban