turtlespeed

Rip Paul Walker - AKA Brian O'Conner

swisschris62

Suggested speed limit in the curve there is 15mph. I'm not an accident investigator, but I'd say its safe to say he was going just a little faster.

let's keep several options open. It's either that or he was driving at the speed limit and got hit by a flaming meteor
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

mjosparky

Holy shit. Where's the rest of it? Looks like it split in 2 besides the fire. Wow. [:/]

That’s really going to affect resale value. :$

Sparky

Some T-Cut should get out most of the scratches.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Is that the same V-10 as the R-8?
Almost 700 hp too.
damn.

This is the car here=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Carrera_GT

Not quite 700hp, but also probably lighter than an R-8. It was Porsches answer to the supercar market, and they only made 1200 of them a few years back.

It's one of those cars that can 'easily' kill you. It also costs a TON of money, so the odds that the owner has the cash, skill to drive it, and good judgment to know when to 'drive' it are probably pretty low.

If Mr Hollywood was not behind the wheel, he was in the passenger seat, and I can't help but think that the driver might have been a little 'starstruck', and with it being the Fast and Furious guy, probably wanted to show off a little (a little too much, it seems).

mjosparky

Holy shit. Where's the rest of it? Looks like it split in 2 besides the fire. Wow. [:/]

That’s really going to affect resale value. :$

Sparky

It's a very tragic and sad event yet I just LOLd and scared my cat when I read that.
Always be kinder than you feel.

If you want to drive at the limits, take it to the track. No excuses. It's just plain dumb to drive at extreme speeds on the public roads. There are just too many unknowns on the public roads to make the risks worth it.

PS: the driver Roger Rodas, had racing experience.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

CanuckInUSA

If you want to drive at the limits, take it to the track. No excuses. It's just plain dumb to drive at extreme speeds on the public roads. There are just too many unknowns on the public roads to make the risks worth it.

PS: the driver Roger Rodas, had racing experience.

Plus endangering innocent members of the public:S>:(

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

the annoying post that says "porshe should redesign then so they don't explode/burn" has to be a troll...

no car can take a high speed impact that nearly cuts the car in half...

damn, I liked his character in the fast and furious

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

airdvr

My son-in-law mentioned something about a death hoax on Twitter last week.

I read he was apparently a victim of the internet death hoax during last week and his publicist had to release a statement he was alive and well. Then a day or two later.... it was the real thing. It's very sad because from what I've read he was from all accounts a "good" guy in Hollywood.

LuckyMcSwervy

***My son-in-law mentioned something about a death hoax on Twitter last week.

I read he was apparently a victim of the internet death hoax during last week and his publicist had to release a statement he was alive and well. Then a day or two later.... it was the real thing. It's very sad because from what I've read he was from all accounts a "good" guy in Hollywood.

Sounds just a little to close to Final Destination . . .

:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

******My son-in-law mentioned something about a death hoax on Twitter last week.

Sounds just a little to close to Final Destination . . .

:o

I was going to say the same thing. :o

There's a pretty long thread over on the Porsche forums (Rennlist).
The people running up to the scene in the video were other folks attending the event. The crash happened about 1/4 mile from it.
There are claims that the car never topped 45 mph, but those aren't being believed, rightly so IMO. Damage to the car and to the tree and pole that they hit seems to indicate more than that. The police reconstruction guys usually do a pretty good job.
That car could get close to 100 mph in the distance between the driveway they left and the crash site. They had just started out, so the tires were still cold - not going to grip very well.

And the Carrera GT is known for being a handful. Not so much "bad mannered" as the Ford GT and some of the Lambos are, but that much power in a car that size will get you into trouble very quickly if you aren't on top of your game.

A shame. And a good lesson about driving that way anywhere other than a closed track.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

JoeyH

The driver was a former racecar driver. Seems like he should have known better

I read the car was having mechanical issues before they took it for a ride. Something about it stalling when one of the driver's employees was trying to drive it in reverse to back it in somewhere? I think that was posted on TMZ IIRC. I don't know about you but when I've picked cars up from a service appointment I like to gun it a bit to test it out. Who knows?

ETA: Do cars of that caliber have black box-like devices?

Do cars of that caliber have black box-like devices?

Yes and no.

If the ECU wasn't damaged in the fire, it contains historical information on how the engine was being operated. But it is not protected the same way the airplane black boxes are protected. Since this Carrera GT went up in flames, it's likely all the engine data also burned up.

I too have been following the conversation on RennList since as a Porsche 911 owner I am sort of a regular there (under a different user name). But I have refrained from posting anything there concerning this accident since it is all speculation and we know speculation in skydiving accidents never results in anything positive. We still don't know exactly how the car was being driven nor what caused it to lose control and hit the tree. But the Carrera GT is very light, very powerful and easy to lose control of the rear on either power on oversteer or lift off oversteer scenarios and it is also difficult to build proper tire pressure and tire/brake temperatures while driving on the public roads. But with all that said the driver of this car had experience beyond what most of us have (I race and I don't have the experience he had), so it's difficult to have an opinion until more is learned about the accident other than to say "Take it to the track if you want to drive fast. There are just too many unknowns on the public roads".

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

45mph, huh?

I'm seeing what I think is a hood that is pointed 90 degrees off from what appears to be a pair of rims. Another rim is turned more than 90 degrees from the other pair. Of course, I have to kind of split the difference because that pair or rims isn't really facing exactly the same direction either.

Ideally, all those parts would be more or less aligned on one heading

If you ignore the massive fire damage, the metal parts seem to be in a configuration the manufacturer never anticipated. And that damage seems to have come after some of the inertia was dampened by jumping the curb...possibly sideways by the orientation.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

LuckyMcSwervy

I read the car was having mechanical issues before they took it for a ride. Something about it stalling when one of the driver's employees was trying to drive it in reverse to back it in somewhere? I think that was posted on TMZ IIRC...

The Carrera GT has a very unusual clutch. Ceramic and dual disk. It is very different than a normal clutch and requires a different technique to launch the car. If it's driven as a normal clutch is, it's very typical to either stall the car or burn the clutch out.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

...and add in also in a subdivision,,,,with all their money why not wait till track time,,,i never understood the people saying "lets seee what its got " and go zipping around residential roads,,,i guess our version is the botched low hook,,,,,:S

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083