NewGuy2005

Do American Credit Cards Work in Europe?

Sure ... we'll take anyone's money ... BUT Talk to your Bank .. Often when cards are refused, it's because the spending pattern has changed and the bank puts a Stop on the card.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Ditto on everything everyone has said. I'll add that some cards have foreign transaction fees. Best to check if yours does this. Also, using plastic in Europe actually can be better as the card companies search for the best rate of exchange. Just make sure you let them know in advance of your plans or they could possibly put a hold on your account.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Yes, but:

- Ticket machines and similar automated devices may not accept it.
- Tell her to bring a pen, as shops may not have them on hand for signatures anymore.
- Tell your cc company ahead of time where she's going, so they don't panic and freeze the card.
- If you want her to be able to take out cash at an ATM using it, make sure you have a PIN for it, even if you don't have the chip.

Talk to the bank and let them know about the travel. Having your credit card cancelled while away really sucks. make sure you have the international collect phone number for the card because even tho I inform them of my travels, they still cancel it on occasion.
Look into the transaction and exchange fees, Ive been absolutely hammered by fees from cash withdrawls while over seas.
Look into preloaded travel cards, can have less fees and better exchange rates.
Try to take a few different cards as well as cash and keep them separate. I dont know how many stupid travellers ive met who have lost everything in one shot.

This may not apply so much to Ireland but when Im travelling in less desirable parts of the world I never go out with more money in my pocket than I plan on spending that evening. Ive had my pockets cleaned out on a couple of occasions but luckily it was never for more than a few dollars, hell it was worth the few dollars to have the lady boy distract me by grabbing my crotch while her friend emptied my pocket ;)

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

I went to the bank and got a separate debit card for my trip, not tied to any of my bank accounts.

I had u.s. cash which I would exchange in banks for euros. Sometimes not the best exchange rate a person could find but ok, plus small fee.

Debit card for cash at atms ok, and fee was $2 per transaction. Of course not good for just exchanging 20 bucks.

My credit card was worse, 4% fee. I should have ask before I went.

Exchange rate at the time was around 1.42.

hcsvader

Try to take a few different cards as well as cash and keep them separate. I dont know how many stupid travellers ive met who have lost everything in one shot.

I would just modify that to say take a few cards but only use one. Reduces the risk of fraud and easier to track after the fact. If something happens to that single one you have been using then you have a least one more. I also recommend keeping the cards in different locations. That way if you lose it or are robbed you still have another.

Several companies out there dont charge international fees anymore. I love my AMEX for it's security but Capital One doesnt charge foreign transaction fees and I have had great luck traveling abroad on their cards too.
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

I just took a trip to Ireland in November. What I ran into:

A lot of the smaller shops were confused that our cards had no "chip and pin". Sometimes we ended up needing to pay cash because their machines couldn't read mag strips. Note: this NEVER happened in a pub.

What I found out upon my return: Call your bank ASAP, and they can issue you a "chip and pin" credit card that will work everywhere there. And, be sure to notify your bank that you're traveling, and when, so they don't block your card due to a change in your spending.

I went to Norway earlier this year and this was one of my gripes.

I only used my BofA debit card and it worked at all places, but you have to get used to the system. You see after swiping your card, the screen will ask you if you have a PIN (COD in Norwegian) and you just hit cancel (Red button) and it will then do a regular CC purchase versus a debit card. You then sign the slip and you're done.

I was too charged fees from BofA, but thankfully, I was reimbursed from my company. When I go back there again, I'll probably do the same thing. The exchange rate booths charge really high fees and you have to cash in like $500 USD to even make it worthwhile.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

LuckyMcSwervy

***One further note on using a debit card. I have encountered ATMs that ask for a 6 digit PIN.

Don't panic! Just add 00 to the front and it will work fine.

No kidding! Just in Europe?

I've had it happen in the US a few times, too. Nothing about it printed on the machine. Just guessed and it worked! B|

zoobrothertom

******One further note on using a debit card. I have encountered ATMs that ask for a 6 digit PIN.

Don't panic! Just add 00 to the front and it will work fine.

No kidding! Just in Europe?

I've had it happen in the US a few times, too. Nothing about it printed on the machine. Just guessed and it worked! B|

I think I'll try it tomorrow at the branch so if I mess it up they can give me a new card on the spot. I think. :D
Always be kinder than you feel.

Just to add to the multiple cards idea: I usually bring two brands of credit card. So, MC and Visa or MC and Amex.

It hasn't happened in years, but on a trip to Spain over a decade ago I ended up in a small town that had never heard of Visa, but did take MC. Also helps if one cards gets cancelled or denied. On my recent road trip from Colorado to Canada they blocked my card for a $5 transaction at McDonald's in Vancouver. Fortunately, no need to panic since I had multiple cards with me. Also, carry at least a little cash at all times for the same reason. I hide it in multiple places throughout my baggage. $20 here, $20 there. That way if someone takes my purse I have something somewhere.

It depends. Smaller shops may refuse to let you pay with *any* card for small purchases (because they pay a fee each time payment is made by a card).

Amex still doesn't work in lots of places, but Visa and MasterCard are usually ok pretty much everywhere. Some debit cards won't work in some shops and if it's not chip and pin some ATM machines will not even recognise them. Less than one year ago, I had my old Bank of Montreal debit card eaten by a machine in Swizerland - hardly a sub-devellopped country!!! Had to wait for them to come and open the machine to get me my card back... In fairness, in typical Swiss efficiency, they said they would help me in about 5 minutes, they arrived 4 minutes later and got me my card back in seconds :)
Assume a fee for withdrawals at any ATM in airports from the ATM machine, then from your bank, and not to mention the worst possible exchange rates... Wait until you are in town to get money out - avoid currency exchange places in airports and train stations, if possible. Also try to avoid getting cash with your credit card, as some CC companies consider it a loan and make you pay huge interest on your entire balance (not just the cash) until your full balance is reduced to 0. Personally, I use debit card in ATM's and CC for the rest.

Before you leave, ask your bank for say €100 so you already have enough currency to get you started when you first step foot in Europe (meal, taxi, etc.). Keep this on your person, separately from where you keep your cards. You never know - you might get pick-pocketed (or just lose/misplace your wallet) and then you will be REALLY glad you have this little bit of "emergency" money...

ETA - replace "you" with "your daughter"!!

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss