airtwardo

~ The Hero Two Doors Down...

Bluff Street in Peru is only two blocks long, all us kids on the tail end of the baby boom who lived there, were pretty close.

I remember playing with Gary Eccles as some of my first childhood memories, he was on the same block just two doors down.

I use to kid Gary when he first signed on with the LaSalle Fire Department...when we were 5 years old he got a Fire Truck pedal car for Christmas - ‘good thing they didn’t make a garbage truck!’

Another memory that’s never dulled over time, is the long talk Gary and I once had in his backyard...he'd lost his Mother to illness at a very young age, and he explained to me how life works sometimes.
Though we were young, innocent & naive, his understanding and explanation were timeless.

I didn't know it at the time, but that was just the first of many things I would learn from my friend.

Gary always had not only an infectious smile, but an air of confidence about him that only a born leader can possess.
He was ALWAYS upbeat and positive.
I can’t ever remember him saying anything negative about anyone - another lesson he taught me by example.

Senior year in High School I finally got a motorcycle...Gary had been riding since he was 8.
He and I rode home from school one afternoon when he said, “Come with me.”
We went to the hills by Split Rock on the Tow Path, where he worked with me for hours - teaching me the riding skills needed to be safe & have fun.

He didn't say I was a ‘bad rider’, which I was...instead told me how I could be BETTER. ~ I learned more than just how to ride that day.

Couple years later I was working as a bouncer at Crazy Pete's back in the Disco days...Gary came up one night and helped me close up.
Sitting at the bar after hours, Crazy Pete took me aside and asked who my friend was with the ...’great smile, very charismatic’ - he offered Gary a job bartending which then turned into a day shift position in the restaurant as well.
Ole Pete told me if I had any MORE friends like Gary...please bring them in too!

I went away to college at SIU but would always see my old friend whenever I came home for a visit...no matter how long I’d been gone, Gary and I would pick up the conversation right where we’d left off the time prior. Two minutes into it we would be finishing each other’s sentence...he was ALWAYS like that!

I stepped out of CoCo’s on 1st street one night during Christmas break...two seconds later I’m in a bear hug hearing my name screamed in that high pitched tone Gary had when excited...He introduced me to his girlfriend Shelly, two beers later he whispered to me - “She don’t know it yet, but THAT’S my wife!”

That squeaky voice...In my career as a professional skydiver, I was performing at the EAA Oshkosh airshow - months on the road traveling the country I can’t help but smile remembering the time I heard my name screamed from within the crowd of 120,000.
Gary had come up to see me perform, a welcome surprise for sure and hearing THAT voice, made me realize how truly important friendship really is.

Though I was living 2000 miles away, Gary would always stop by and check on my folks...he’d bring a pizza from LaGrotto, or a bucket of chicken, and sit on the front porch telling stories with them.
When My dad passed Gary was the first I called to request his help as a pall bearer - “You don’t have to ask me, you know better” was his answer, he helped in so many ways during that difficult time.

He then made regular visits to my mother checking constantly if she needed anything...that’s not a friend, that’s a brother!

In recent years I’d always make it a point to stop at the Fire Station for a cup of coffee and to catch up with my oldest & dearest friend every time I was in town.
Talking with Gary would always set me at easy that the world was alright, that no matter what was going on...SOME rocks ARE solid.

The last time I got to spend with Gary was about a year ago...I was taking care of some family business in town when he & Shelly drove by and stopped.

I knew of the fight he was engaged in, when I asked how he was doing, he as always gave me that smile and some positive reports.

Shelly looked at him and said this is your friend, tell him what’s going on...my heart just stopped.
I knew from the tone of her voice, the fight was greater than he would ever tell me on his own.

A couple hours later I called Gary and asked him for a ride to O’Hare airport that evening.
I had another ride set up but I wanted to talk with him one on one, and didn't know if or when I’d get another chance.

I had a tightness in my chest as Gary once again explained to me ~ ‘How life works sometimes’

Heroes come in all shapes and sizes...we idolize some for their acting ability or the skills they show on the field of play.

As we get older we tend to focus more on how a role model lives their life, and less on what they do for a living.

As I watched my friend drive away from passenger drop-off that evening, it all came together for me what a good man he is and always has been.

A small town guy that dedicated his life to helping others, who constantly did extraordinary things and didn’t even know it!

A man who without question, personified the word Honor.

In my office I have a movie poster of John Wayne, a football signed by Sayers...trinkets of homage to heroes I've had.

Things like that are fun to look at, but as far as real heroes go ~ Hell, I KNEW Gary Eccles!

It’s been one of life’s rare privileges to call such a man my friend... How lucky can a guy get to have a TRUE Hero ~

~ Just Two Doors Down?!

Go easy my brother, you’ll always be loved... you did it right!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Jim,

You story of your lifelong friend forced me to get up and “walk it off.” I went in and turned the TV on. Crusty, the house mutt, came over and put his head on my lap. He was upset because I was crying.

It is rare in this world to find a friend like you described. You honored him with your words.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Thanks Sparky, his kind don't come along very often.

The service for Gary is this coming Saturday at the firehouse where he was Chief - two blocks from where we grew up.

I hear departments as far as 100 miles away will be sending equipment to be in the procession...you don't get that kind of respect unless it's earned.

You made me cry a little, ya prick>:(

Lovely story Jim. Sorry that your friend is gone mate.
I think you're blessed to have had someone that special in your life:)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

How lucky you both were to have each other. You can keep telling people about him.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

airtwardo

Thanks Sparky, his kind don't come along very often.

I know at least Two.:)
I am blessed in that.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

By the way, if his wife hasn't seen this yet, she really, really, needs to.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

http://newstrib.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=28&ArticleID=32401&TM=61121.69

I've never in my life seen anything like the service my old hometown held for my friend.

Following visitation at the Fire House where Gary was the Chief~

The procession to the cemetary - led by at least 20 Fire Trucks, many more emergency response vehicles & every Police unit for miles around...followed a 4 - 5 mile path through town, the sidewalks were packed by towns people with heads bowed in respect for the entire distance.

At the major 4 way intersection...traffic was stopped as we drove under two ladder trucks with booms extended - between the booms hung a large U.S. Flag & Chief Eccles's Fire Jacket.

I haven't cried so much in 50 years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Capt. Rick Abbott and Engineer Bill Krolak shared their remembrances of Eccles.
“He was probably one of the most dedicated firemen in the area,” Abbott said. “He lived it. He breathed it. He loved it. Good leader.”
When Eccles, a former fire chief, retired in May, Krolak filled the vacancy as engineer. When Krolak began with the department 10 years ago, it was Eccles who coached him, he said.
“Meeting him 10 years ago as a part-time guy, he taught me a lot,” Krolak said. “He taught everybody a lot through example. You could learn a lot watching the guy.’
On Krolak’s first fire call, he watched Eccles pull a guy out of a window to safety, he said.
“That’s part of what hooked me on the job, seeing that,” Krolak said.
Eccles had two loves: the fire service and his family, Abbott said.
“When he was off the scene he gave 100 percent to his family and when he was here he gave 100 percent to the fire service,” Abbott said.
Peru police officer Mark Credi is named by many as one of Eccles’ best friends. Credi walked into the firehouse Monday morning to check with Abbott on funeral planning.
Credi began his emergency response career as a volunteer firefighter with La Salle, and that’s how he met Eccles, he said.
“I’ve known Gary for over 20 years,” Credi said. “He’s kind. He’s compassionate. If I called him and needed help with something he would drop whatever he was doing and come help. In my eyes he’s a hero in the truest sense of the word, to his family, to his friends. Thousands of people’s lives have been positively affected. The firehouse was his second home. It showed in his work ethic. He was here for one purpose and that was to save lives and he did it with such compassion and drive to always do his best.”
Eccles is survived by his wife, Shelly, and three daughters. Credi met with Shelly Eccles Monday morning, he said.
“His wife wanted me to express her sincere gratitude to everyone for their support and showing sympathy for his passing,” Credi said. “She said, ‘How am I going to repay everybody?’ I told her, ‘You don’t have to repay anybody. Gary’s done that through his work with the fire department.’”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ another neighborhood buddy said during the funeral:

"He was probably a better man than all of us, he definitely made all of US better men."

BTW~ Gary made a couple S/L jumps back in the 80's, I taught him & held the dope rope...

He didn't really take to it much~
A guy who runs INTO burning buildings...thought WE were nuts!
:):D

Ok for the first time this week I am grateful the day is slow so I don't have to explain to my customers why my eyes are leaking...Thank you...goodspeed to your friend and prayers for those left behind

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Just had to read this again .. what an incredibly well written piece to honour a mate... probably the best thing that I've ever read on this site,

Thanks and sorry that you've lost such a good pal.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome