regulator

B.A.S.E. off freedom tower NYC

Boogers

***Remind me to create a go fund me page when I break the law.
They knew the risks. I'll never understand the handout mentality these days.

So you don't think that the USPA should have an Airport Access Defense fund?

What does that have to do with breaking the law?

I will play this in their honor, though.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

BillyVance

***I just prefer helping people who aren't solely responsible for their own misery.

Every step of their decision making process was voluntary.

I'll use my resources on people who need help due to unforeseen circumstances outside of their control.

I am a jaded prick like that.

I would rather donate to the funeral fund of the 5 year old boy in my town that was mauled by a pit bull than give anything to those three base jumpers. They knew what they were doing. Fuck em. :|

ETA: I will add however, that I think felony charges are a bit heavy-handed. This looks more like a misdemeanor crime.

You honestly think they committed something that should be labeled as a crime?

They jumped off of a building wearing BASE rigs and landed on the streets.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Arvoitus

******I just prefer helping people who aren't solely responsible for their own misery.

Every step of their decision making process was voluntary.

I'll use my resources on people who need help due to unforeseen circumstances outside of their control.

I am a jaded prick like that.

I would rather donate to the funeral fund of the 5 year old boy in my town that was mauled by a pit bull than give anything to those three base jumpers. They knew what they were doing. Fuck em. :|

ETA: I will add however, that I think felony charges are a bit heavy-handed. This looks more like a misdemeanor crime.

You honestly think they committed something that should be labeled as a crime?

They jumped off of a building wearing BASE rigs and landed on the streets.

Considering they did it at night, when the building would be closed to the general public, they commited a crime gaining entry.

They did it to a building with a very sensitive background. Most people with an IQ above 10 can figure out that if caught, they would have the book thrown at them

They were stupid enough to film themselves doing it.

They were aware that they were committing a crime when they did it.

Yes, I honestly think that gaining entry to a closed building should be considered a crime.

Southern_Man

******Remind me to create a go fund me page when I break the law. They knew the risks. I'll never understand the handout mentality these days.

If there's a need for AAD funds, then some DZ is being shut down for some kind of legal reason - i.e. "breaking the law" in the eyes of some government entity.

Using normiss' logic: "The drop zones should have known they were breaking the law, they knew the risks, so don't expect USPA to come bail them out when they get in trouble."

So some county is trying to kick a DZ off an airport, claiming FAA safety violations - screw 'em, it's their personal problem?

Or maybe, just maybe, we should band together, pool our resources, and fight these encroachments on our sport when they are unjust!

Boogers

*********Remind me to create a go fund me page when I break the law. They knew the risks. I'll never understand the handout mentality these days.

If there's a need for AAD funds, then some DZ is being shut down for some kind of legal reason - i.e. "breaking the law" in the eyes of some government entity.

And if BASE jumpers want to start a fund to advocate for legal access to BASE sites, I would consider donating to that.

This is not the same though. Defending them does nothing towards legalizing access to BASE sites.

Their fundraising site says:

We are all facing multiple criminal charges,
including Burglary in the Third Degree,
a class D felony punishable by up to 7 years in prison.

Anyone know any details?

I'm used to the idea of trespassing just being a fine under provincial Civil Law, but that's in Canada, while in the US I guess there is more of criminal trespass .

What did they supposedly steal, other than altitude?

pchapman

Their fundraising site says:

We are all facing multiple criminal charges,
including Burglary in the Third Degree,
a class D felony punishable by up to 7 years in prison.

Anyone know any details?

I'm used to the idea of trespassing just being a fine under provincial Civil Law, but that's in Canada, while in the US I guess there is more of criminal trespass .

What did they supposedly steal, other than altitude?

From Google:

"Burglary in the Third Degree (NY PL 140.20) is the most common degree of Burglary charged throughout New York City and the surrounding region. One is guilty of this crime if one knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a building and one has the intent to commit a crime (any crime) while there. As noted on the front page of the Burglary section, this crime is a “D” felony punishable by up to seven years in state prison."

Drug dealers selling to school children get much less. Welcome to New York.:S
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

regulator

Is there any semblance of punishment fits the crime here? No doubt they knew they were trespassing but a burglary felony and possible 7 yr prison sentence? And look at the resources that were thrown at this? Love my country but this is EXACTLY the type of overstepping police state Nazi-ish behavior that we see more and more of everyday. Trespassers? No doubt. Burglary Felony? No Way! The way that law is written, ANYONE that were to trespass on any property could be charged. How convenient......

baronn

Is there any semblance of punishment fits the crime here? No doubt they knew they were trespassing but a burglary felony and possible 7 yr prison sentence? And look at the resources that were thrown at this? Love my country but this is EXACTLY the type of overstepping police state Nazi-ish behavior that we see more and more of everyday. Trespassers? No doubt. Burglary Felony? No Way! The way that law is written, ANYONE that were to trespass on any property could be charged. How convenient......

Except gaining entry to a closed building is not trespassing.

SkyDekker

Except gaining entry to a closed building is not trespassing. DING DING DING we have a winner it is burglary not trespassing. Trespassing is walking over a boundary entering a locked/secure building is burglary. They threw the heaviest crimes at them then will plead them down. Besides isn't the base creed. leave no trace? These ass clowns got themselves busted. Jump leave and SHUT THE FUCK UP...Fuck em don't do the crime if you cant do the time..

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

catfishhunter

Except gaining entry to a closed building is not trespassing. DING DING DING we have a winner it is burglary not trespassing. Trespassing is walking over a boundary entering a locked/secure building is burglary. They threw the heaviest crimes at them then will plead them down. Besides isn't the base creed. leave no trace? These ass clowns got themselves busted. Jump leave and SHUT THE FUCK UP...Fuck em don't do the crime if you cant do the time..

Exactly. However, they got busted when police tracked down the vehicle make from the security cameras and traced it to them. Should have hidden the video equipment and not posted the videos online until much much later, better if not at all.

I donated $100 to the 5 year old child's funeral expenses. These fucksticks get nothing from me. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it is what it is.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

that's what i thought. they did the smart thing and kept quiet about what they did, no small feat to be sure. and had they just put the chutes in the bags on the street and not hid behind the bushes, they may never have gotten caught.