regulator

B.A.S.E. off freedom tower NYC

lawrocket

So this video was released by the police. And it seems that the world is saying, "That's pretty damned cool!"

Did the police release it to show how reckless it was?

I heard some trite report about those BASE jumpers disrespecting "Sacred Ground":o

i doubt they would get barred from the hall, they don't do that in wv for a popped piss test, they just kick you off that job. and if he's an iron worker jumping from the top, it was almost over for him anyway, so go out with a bang.

sfzombie13

he's an iron worker jumping from the top, it was almost over for him anyway, so go out with a bang.

He is... and I bet he would tell you it was worth it, despite the arrest and permaban from the WTC site.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

swisschris62

You mean what would happen besides losing their 100.+ per hour job and probably never working out of that union hall again?

They make less than 50 and it's one damn dangerous and hard job. :P And it goes w/o saying it's damn near impossible to get kicked out. Our national prez was caught way dirty and walked away w/ a golden parachute package paid for by rank and file.>:(
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Totally agree with you....
Makes for a great story: build it, jump it and no one gets hurt.
Down at the union hall and at their watering hole I'm sure the guys all love the story.
Getting on another job might be a different story.
Personally I wish they wouldn't have gotten caught.
I was only commenting that he actually had a lot to lose. I know in my industry a DUI would ruin you even if you got it in your personal vehicle on your own time. A DUI or failed drug test would ruin your CDL and less serious infractions will really limit what kind of freight you end up hauling.

Less then 50?
You sure about that?
A good friend of mine is a union carpenter in NYC.
He builds stage and movie sets for many of the shows you see on show time and hbo.
When he includes all his benefits he is making about 100./hr.
Here is the pay schedule for NY.
[url]http://wpp.labor.state.ny.us/wpp/viewPrevailingWageSchedule.do?typeid=1&county=87
I never said anything about the work being easy or that they don't deserve what they get paid.
As for getting kicked out, I know there's a lot of guys that are in the union that aren't working so keeping comments like "likes to jump from buildings after he builds them" out of your file is probably smart if you want to keep getting steady work.

I just saw this on CNN. They reported that the BASE jumpers were charged with several felonies as well. Talk about overboard. All they're trying to do is make an example of these BASE jumpers. The one gentlemen was a construction worker on the project, they're really throwing the book at him. What a joke. NYC don't have anything more constructive to do with their time? Just sayin'

Best-
Richard

rwieder

I just saw this on CNN. They reported that the BASE jumpers were charged with several felonies as well. Talk about overboard. All they're trying to do is make an example of these BASE jumpers. The one gentlemen was a construction worker on the project, they're really throwing the book at him. What a joke. NYC don't have anything more constructive to do with their time? Just sayin'

Best-
Richard

The great philosopher Jack said it best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gu2ouJNmXc
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

rwieder

Best-
Richard

These guys are all going to jail for years.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Remind me to create a go fund me page when I break the law.

They knew the risks.

I'll never understand the handout mentality these days.

I never got help for car wrecks, attorney fees, legal issues, home repairs, divorce court, moving, or any other mishap in life.
It's part of the cost of life.
SIUCC.

normiss

They knew the risks.

I never got help for car wrecks, attorney fees, legal issues, home repairs, divorce court, moving, or any other mishap in life.
SIUCC.

My thoughts exactly.

I wish them well but fund your own legal defense. You made the decision to do something illegal so pay for it yourself. Or go Pro Se if you're so smart.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

ETA: I think BASE is badass awesome but what's illegal is illegal. I can't condone illegal things. It's against who I am.
Always be kinder than you feel.

normiss

They knew the risks.

SIUCC.

Plus, I'll never understand why people videotape themselevs doing something illegal.

When kids do it, we call them stupid.

I am not ashamed to admit I have received help in my life in the past. Whether be it by family, friends, or a significant other. Without that help at that time I don't know where I'd be.

Also at times in my life I've received no help whatsoever from anyone. Life was pretty shitty and I lost a lot. I lost far more than the little bit of help which was required.

Given the two scenarios. It is better to have help than go it alone.

I truly doubt anyone goes through life completely alone. Humans evolved depending upon the help of their clan. Those that didn't have that help often didn't survive.

I feel better when I can help people. :)
But hey that's just me..... I'd rather not live my life as a jaded prick. Seems I'm also happier too. :)
Going up against the full force and weight of the City of New York with several felonies to defend themselves against whether right or wrong these guys would be better off with all the help they can get.

I just prefer helping people who aren't solely responsible for their own misery.

Every step of their decision making process was voluntary.

I'll use my resources on people who need help due to unforeseen circumstances outside of their control.

I am a jaded prick like that.

I feel better when I can help people, too. In this case, the complete lack of preparation for possible legal consequences makes me think of them as not too different from aggressive swoopers who don't have medical insurance.

Not that I don't understand and maybe even sympathize, but this was a known possible (and even likely) outcome.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

I feel better when I can help people, too. In this case, the complete lack of preparation for possible legal consequences makes me think of them as not too different from aggressive swoopers who don't have medical insurance.

Not that I don't understand and maybe even sympathize, but this was a known possible (and even likely) outcome.

Wendy P.

I agree with you completely. I'll leave this thread with this.... sometimes dopes need help too. ;)

SkyDekker

I just prefer helping people who aren't solely responsible for their own misery.

Every step of their decision making process was voluntary.

I'll use my resources on people who need help due to unforeseen circumstances outside of their control.

I am a jaded prick like that.

I would rather donate to the funeral fund of the 5 year old boy in my town that was mauled by a pit bull than give anything to those three base jumpers. They knew what they were doing. Fuck em. :|

ETA: I will add however, that I think felony charges are a bit heavy-handed. This looks more like a misdemeanor crime.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban