FlyingRhenquest

Ernesto Lands JVX 35

I'm pretty sure my slider is bigger than that thing. I still haven't found any video for it. Does someone have some handy?

Wonder how long it'll be before he starts thinking it's not sporty enough and decides to downsize to a 27...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Man I remember when Charlie Mullins was jumping sub 100 sf canopies before anybody else back in the mid 90's. He got as low as a 58 IIRC, and was a test jumper for a while with Precision Aerodynamics.

Beezy Shaw told the story of Charlie's test jump on the 58. The plan was to fly it, then cut it away and land his regular canopy. Beezy was on the jump as well flying as a reference where Charlie would swoop down to his level as if pretending to land (up high of course). When he did, he stopped momentarily to fly parallel with Beezy, then let up on the toggles, and he shot forward and down almost like a cannon pointed downward and Beezy screamed at him "CHARLIE!!! DON'T LAND THAT THING!!!" Well he did anyway, without incident. I would see Charlie jumping that thing along with a bunch of other sub 100 canopies during the Mullins' boogies and be amazed at his skill.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I jumped Charlie Mullins 98 Sq. foot Batwing in the early 90's I was about 250 at the time. There was a good breeze at the time and no one went on the load. They all wanted to be on the ground when I landed. Charlie was upset after that because he couldn't get anything smaller to jump at that time.

shotandahalf

I jumped Charlie Mullins 98 Sq. foot Batwing in the early 90's I was about 250 at the time. There was a good breeze at the time and no one went on the load. They all wanted to be on the ground when I landed. Charlie was upset after that because he couldn't get anything smaller to jump at that time.

Smallest I ever jumped was an Icarus Extreme 99, I think that's what it was. Back when I was really current, and I was jumping a Triathlon 120 (still do). I dumped at 3500 and that little bitch snivelled for 1000 feet. :o but man, what a nice smooth opening!

It was the landing that scared me. I set up for a long final, man was it ground-hungry. A quick flare was I was gliding my feet through the grass for like 30-40 yards without having to run. Once was enough for me, and I'm 160 naked. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

ryoder

***...and I'm 160 naked. :D

:o
Well, that ruined the story for me.:S

You know damn well what I meant. :D

I had to edit my post to correct the canopy type. It was actually an Icarus Extreme 99 that I tried for one jump.

BillyVance

******...and I'm 160 naked. :D

:o
Well, that ruined the story for me.:S

You know damn well what I meant. :D

I had to edit my post to correct the canopy type. It was actually an Icarus Extreme 99 that I tried for one jump.

FWIW, that made me pay attention for the first time in a while. :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I agree,,,,and i just don't get what the big deal is with these tiny canopies,,,ok, you landed it now what ? It will never become a main stay every jump canopy,,,,,it seems like a "Gee, Look at me " event.....big time lame
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Not lame. The man was trying to achieve something, push a limit. He succeeded. Absolutely nothing lame about that.
Just because you don't understand why he did it, doesn't mean it wasn't worth doing.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

jverley

Not to overly downplay the accomplishment but did you look at the wind blades and smoke. The winds on the ground were smoking fast. I'd be interested in see how that would go in light/no wind conditions.

This is what I was thinking too: I remember Luigi having to run like hell to stand up his landing. Even with the landing speed of the camera flyer, it sounds like the wind was really honking.

Elvisio "still: no fucking way" Rodriguez