skymama

Have you ever stayed in a hostel?

potatoman

I can write a book, but here my tips.

Take clothing that can be washed and dried without ironing.
Don't take your flashy bling bling clothing. It will get stolen.
Passport, cash, credit card, to be kept on the person at ALL times. They have stolen stuff off me while I was sleeping.
Take sanitary goods with, and towel.
NO ipad or laptop. Take that crappy old brick phone, or keep it with your passport.
Remember passport number, and certain phone numbers, you might need it.
Some hostels asks for your passport while you stay there. DONT. Pay upfront, and that is that. I had a passport stolen 4days before my return home flight. Life ain't easy then, and it was supposed to be kept by the hostel in their safe.

The plus side - Young people with normally an active vibe. Great chicks (what happens in Vegas...)
Local streetsavvy - People in the hostels normally have an idea of how to get about, where to go, what to do, where to change cash, cheaper meals, parties etc.

And a good tip I got when in Tobasco Hostel in Jerusalem: Don't fuck with the Hungarian dude with the purple punk.

LOL
Dude join the 21st century ;)
I'm sitting in my hostel room in Guatemala, posting this from my Samsung galaxy Note 10, tethered to my smart phone.:ph34r:
I have previosly travelled all over the world, and am currently travelling Central and South America, and then Spain. I only ever stay in hostels.
Use common sense, vett your accommodations, and dont fuck with purple haired hungarians.
You CAN travel with modern conveniences just be sensible.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Great tips!

Nick has already secured a bed, and the place did get good reviews. He had to pay $1700 for a bed for 2 weeks. :S I've been passing along the advice you all have given and he really appreciates it. I don't think he thought of needing to shower with his passport.

He joked that he'll just find a local girl to visit. I told him there are plenty of easy girls in America he can sleep with back here, he doesn't need to be disappearing in Brazil when there is no one there to wonder where he went, right? Am I right or am I just being a mom again?

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Brazilian girls are beautiful. But most of them are attached to their families.

During World Cup in Brazil, $1700 for 2 weeks sounds like a lot, but it's probably in line with everything else. Bookings.com is the hotel booking website that's used in most of Brazil (at least seemed to be when I was doing hotel rooms a couple of years ago). You could check, but, well, locals love these events when they can rent out their homes for mongo short-term profits.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

potatoman

I can write a book, but here my tips.

Passport, cash, credit card, to be kept on the person at ALL times. They have stolen stuff off me while I was sleeping.
NO ipad or laptop. Take that crappy old brick phone, or keep it with your passport.
Some hostels asks for your passport while you stay there. DONT. Pay upfront, and that is that. I had a passport stolen 4days before my return home flight. Life ain't easy then, and it was supposed to be kept by the hostel in their safe.

The plus side - Young people with normally an active vibe. Great chicks (what happens in Vegas...)
Local streetsavvy - People in the hostels normally have an idea of how to get about, where to go, what to do, where to change cash, cheaper meals, parties etc.

And a good tip I got when in Tobasco Hostel in Jerusalem: Don't fuck with the Hungarian dude with the purple punk.

rather, scan and email himself a copy before he leaves. Unless of course, he plans on finding himself in prison, he prob won't struggle too much to get online for a copy minutes.

Squeak

***I can write a book, but here my tips.

LOL
Dude join the 21st century ;)
I'm sitting in my hostel room in Guatemala, posting this from my Samsung galaxy Note 10, tethered to my smart phone.:ph34r:
I have previosly travelled all over the world, and am currently travelling Central and South America, and then Spain. I only ever stay in hostels.
Use common sense, vett your accommodations, and dont fuck with purple haired hungarians.
You CAN travel with modern conveniences just be sensible.

Glad to see you're still squeaking, Squeak :P

skymama

Great tips!

Nick has already secured a bed, and the place did get good reviews. He had to pay $1700 for a bed for 2 weeks. :S I've been passing along the advice you all have given and he really appreciates it. I don't think he thought of needing to shower with his passport.

He joked that he'll just find a local girl to visit. I told him there are plenty of easy girls in America he can sleep with back here, he doesn't need to be disappearing in Brazil when there is no one there to wonder where he went, right? Am I right or am I just being a mom again?

Do not give him a copy of Touristas... before he goes:)

Amazon

***Great tips!

Do not give him a copy of Touristas... before he goes:)make him m watch the movie Hostel, and watch it with Andrea:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

******Great tips!

Do not give him a copy of Touristas... before he goes:)make him m watch the movie Hostel, and watch it with Andrea:ph34r:

Both movies actually;)

To echo a lot of others:

- Hostels are cool.
- Keep passport, credit cards, etc with you. And not in a "I'm a clueless American tourist" fanny pack. When you sleep, put them under your pillow or somewhere similarly harder to reach.
- If you keep your wallet/phone in the back pocket of your jeans, you'll lose them. Front and inside pockets only please.
- Be heads up - don't pull out an $800 iPhone in a dodgy area.
- Don't be an arsehole.
- Learn "please", "thank you", and "beer" in Portugese.
- Condoms.
- Have a heap of fun B|.

Not hostel specific, but something to watch out for in crowds. If someone grabs him and points out a mess on his back, he needs to keep his hands on his valuables and move away fast.

Goes like this. Crook 1 creates the mess - can be ketchup, mayo, spit or anything mucky. Crook 2 grabs the vic roughly, pulling at jacket to show the mess. That's when wallets, phones etc 'disappear'. Trick works best in crowds when it's easy for the crooks to disappear and the vic's attention is easily distracted.

Know several people this has happened to and not just in South America. Actually watched it happen while looking out a train window in Holland.
Anne