skymama

Have you ever stayed in a hostel?

My son is going to the World Cup in Brazil this summer. The friends he had planned to go with have bailed on him, so now he is going alone. :| He booked a bed at a hostel, so of course I'm turning into worry-wort mom, wondering about his safety.

So, if you've stayed at one, do you have any advice on how to keep yourself and your things safe?

And, if anyone knows anything about Manaus, Brazil, I'd love to pass along any interesting tidbits to him that you might have to share.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I've stayed at a bunch of hostels around Europe and the U.S. without any problems and I've almost always been alone. I feel that the biggest safety thing is common sense. Don't leave valuables out in the open. Anything that you absolutely cannot lose should be carried with you. Take a lock because I've been to a lot of places that have lockers, but you need your own lock. Read reviews on hostels.com or hostelworld.com to find one with a good reputation.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

mrubin

I've stayed at a bunch of hostels around Europe and the U.S. without any problems and I've almost always been alone. I feel that the biggest safety thing is common sense. Don't leave valuables out in the open. Anything that you absolutely cannot lose should be carried with you. Take a lock because I've been to a lot of places that have lockers, but you need your own lock. Read reviews on hostels.com or hostelworld.com to find one with a good reputation.

Seconded. I spent a few months hosteling around Europe by myself as well.

Hi Moms,

It has been 20 yrs since I've been to Brazil. Theft is commonplace; anything left out will probably get stolen.

Manaus is one of the most expensive cities in Brazil.

And tell him to take his own toilet-paper, it is rare to find it in some public toilets.

JerryBaumchen

I spent a summer backpacking through Europe with a youth hostel card and a train pass. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.
Of course, my experience is not exactly recent and no two hostels are created equal but a little common sense goes a long way!

The opera house in Manaus is epic (really!). In the early 1900's, rubber all came from Brazil, and went through Manaus. The Wikitravel entry (and Wikipedia too) will give background information.

If he can take a day trip down the river, it's worth it. Go sightseeing, whatever. If he's interested in how people really live, one place for great people-watching is the municipal market. Beer is good in Brazil, and the national soft drink is Guarana; it's really good.

As far as hostels, yes, I echo what everyone else says. I stayed in one in Porto Alegre a couple of years ago; it was a high-end hostel, and it was just fine. A bicycle cable lock will provide some flexibility. Passport, credit cards and cash should be on him all the time, unless they have a safe. And in safe and/or interior (hidden) pockets -- pickpockets aren't uncommon. Make sure he has a photocopy of the ID page in the passport, and keeps it separate from the passport. If the hostel has a safe, then he should carry the photocopy with him.

Also, in Brazil, restaurants etc. all bring the credit card machine to you, your card never goes to the back of the restaurant.

Dressing like a local will make him a little less vulnerable. Ball caps are uncommon in Brazil. Shirts are more likely to be button-down -- but lots of people will be wearing football (soccer) shirts then, so that also works.

One of my brothers lives in Brazil; the other one wants to visit him for world cup. But the one who lives there wants to leave the country then :D, because it'll be insane!

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I keep hearing about the crime in Brazil, that's what I'm worried about the most. Well, that and him not having anyone there to notice if he goes missing.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Im currently staying in hostels in central America, and will be in south America soon including Brazil. I always stay in hostels
Some are better than others so look on trip advisor and Thorntree (lonely palnet)

Have a padlock for your luggage and a spare for the hostel lockers.
Litterally MILLIONS of people stay in hostels daily, many many of them in the very early 20s and late teens.
He'll be fine as long as he's not a dick, and he has a modicum of common sense
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

~ I have, all over the world when traveling alone.

Some are great - some not so much...[:/]

I usually don't have any real problems...my long cultivated, highly refined 'serial killer' look, seems to transcend all cultural lines & language barriers.

It's an interesting & economic way of seeing things...gotta keep the right frame of mind or it can get a little rough sometimes.

Capt. Mom's idea of roughing it...is bad room service at the 4 star hotel. "I didn't work my ass off for the lat 40 years to get listen to the 2am drunken fart wars in the corner" :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

Capt. Mom's idea of roughing it...is bad room service at the 4 star hotel. "I didn't work my ass off for the lat 40 years to get listen to the 2am drunken fart wars in the corner" :ph34r:

I'm not quite as high-maintenance, but I'm also not into dorm-style sleeping.

In 2004, though, I traveled all over NZ with two friends, and we mostly stayed in hostels. We'd typically rent a quad room (with two sets of bunk beds) and either pay for the 4th bed up front or ask the hostel to give us that option if they were otherwise going to fill up and would lose revenue if they left that bed empty. That gave the three of us room to kick around a little, we only had to put up with each other, and our belongings were (somewhat) more secure as we could lock our room when we were out and about. Still had shared bathrooms and common spaces and met a lot of really interesting folks.

We liked it because it was economical and fun, and usually put us in a great location for whatever we wanted to do, but also because that meant we didn't have to fuss over who shared beds.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I've not stayed in a hostel but I have had some great times using www.airbnb.com you rent a room or an entire house at great prices. My wife and I use them when ever we can.

My sis-inlaw just stayed in amazing roof top apartment in Jerusalem for a fraction of the cost of a hotel.

Just a thought.
something funny and unique

airtwardo

Sheeit, my dad's idea of "camping" is when room service stops at midnight.
cavete terrae.

tetra316

***I've stayed at a bunch of hostels around Europe and the U.S. without any problems and I've almost always been alone. I feel that the biggest safety thing is common sense. Don't leave valuables out in the open. Anything that you absolutely cannot lose should be carried with you. Take a lock because I've been to a lot of places that have lockers, but you need your own lock. Read reviews on hostels.com or hostelworld.com to find one with a good reputation.

Seconded. I spent a few months hosteling around Europe by myself as well.

Thirded :)

I can write a book, but here my tips.

Take clothing that can be washed and dried without ironing.
Don't take your flashy bling bling clothing. It will get stolen.
Passport, cash, credit card, to be kept on the person at ALL times. They have stolen stuff off me while I was sleeping.
Take sanitary goods with, and towel.
NO ipad or laptop. Take that crappy old brick phone, or keep it with your passport.
Remember passport number, and certain phone numbers, you might need it.
Some hostels asks for your passport while you stay there. DONT. Pay upfront, and that is that. I had a passport stolen 4days before my return home flight. Life ain't easy then, and it was supposed to be kept by the hostel in their safe.

The plus side - Young people with normally an active vibe. Great chicks (what happens in Vegas...)
Local streetsavvy - People in the hostels normally have an idea of how to get about, where to go, what to do, where to change cash, cheaper meals, parties etc.

And a good tip I got when in Tobasco Hostel in Jerusalem: Don't fuck with the Hungarian dude with the purple punk.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

I stay in them all the time. They are pretty very safe. For the most part its like hanging out with skydivers but you talk about travel instead of skydiving. A good group of like minded people of various age groups. It's like staying in a college dorm/hotel/DZ.

Some hostels offer private rooms and bathrooms. Almost all are dorm based, which is cheaper than a private room.

Theft is rare, but like anywhere else there is the rare bad egg. For the most part everyone basically the same stuff, ipods, cell phones, dirty laundry, ect. I've never had anything stolen in a hostel and I've been in dozens of them all over the world. Some hostels to offer lockers and stuff.

A good place to check out reviews, prices, ammenities on hostels is: www.hostelworld.com

IMPORTANT: Bring flip flops for the showers.
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"