Amazon

Deadly OSO, Washington Landslide

Amazon

:(:(

https://www.facebook.com/SkagitBreaking/photos/a.1405915709621487.1073741837.1393811897498535/1473290209550703/?type=1&theater

The official count is at 21 fatalities, 15 that have been identified and six that are awaiting identification. Four more found on Sunday are not included in the 21. If you look at how mangled the cars and homes were I think you might see the problem with identifications[:/][:/]

Going to take a while to dig everyone out, and the later this drags on, the more likely the bodies will have to be identified by dental records. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yesterday the news people were reporting where structures where involved the search crews would take the homes down to the foundation looking for remains.

The news people also reported if the dogs and search crews can't locate any remains in the piles of muck. The remains may have to be interred in place and the area turned into a memorial.:(

This is based on local news and I assume that the surviving family members will have some input on the final decision.

One Jump Wonder

skiskyrock

It looks like there was considerable logging activity above the slide and according to this article an outdated hydrology map may have been used to approve the logging.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2023266702_mudslideloggingmapxml.html

NPR story yesterday said they would also over log, above their permit limit illegally, but the state wouldnt do anything to stop it or fine them.
Similar to the problems in coal country.
Accidents like this keep happening and maybe people might smarten up enough to listen to the geeky scientists when they tell them not to do something. Probably not though. :S

Doug_Davis

***It looks like there was considerable logging activity above the slide and according to this article an outdated hydrology map may have been used to approve the logging.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2023266702_mudslideloggingmapxml.html

NPR story yesterday said they would also over log, above their permit limit illegally, but the state wouldnt do anything to stop it or fine them.
Similar to the problems in coal country.
Accidents like this keep happening and maybe people might smarten up enough to listen to the geeky scientists when they tell them not to do something. Probably not though. :S

Probably not... no money in that don't cha know.

Real estate developers want to develop.. no matter WHERE the land they have acquired is.[:/][:/]

Thursday 3 APR

http://www.king5.com/news/oso-landslide/Death-toll-reaches-30-in-Oso-landslide-253740721.html

The Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office has confirmed 30 people killed in the Oso landslide and has identified 27 of them.

[:/][:/]
As medical examiners painstakingly piece together the identities and lives of the people known killed when the mudslide wiped out a small Washington community, one mystery troubled them Wednesday. One set of remains does not fit with the descriptions on the missing persons list.

The medical examiners know it is a male. But his remains give no clue as to who he was, or who might be looking for him. They can't even identify his age range. Without possible family members to compare, DNA tests are useless. At this point, gold teeth are all they have to go on.

The mystery underscores the tedious process of identifying remains more than a week after the March 22 landslide that broke off a steep hill, roared across the North Fork of the Stillaguamish River and buried a community at Oso, about 55 miles north of Seattle.

Like the homes, the cars and the other parts of people's lives swept away by the torrent of mud, some bodies are in pieces.
[:/]

Many of you know that one of my football players was missing in the Oso slide and last night I met Jovon Mangual again in my dream. He smiled at me and said, "Thanks Coach".

That was all, but I knew what it meant. I read his name in the news when I got to work that he was positively identified as one of the victims yesterday.

I had told my wife that what I wanted most was to see the smile again. That smile that seemed to take over his entire face and light up any situation. He gave that to me last night.

Thank you Jojo, you will be forever missed and never forgotten.

This was from a friend of mine that I used to work with in the Ops Center at MS. He has been a pretty good friend over the years. I got him to come make some jumps back about 10 years ago... but he is a bike guy and he thought skydiving was just not enough of an adrenaline rush for him.

He has come fishing with me on numerous occasions bringing his brother and their kids. The boys are old enough now to be into football and my friend loves coaching.

So many stories like this :(

A lot of people up here are hurting right now. I do not think its really settled in just how many have been affected by this.[:/][:/]

WOW
Just saw this on the local news...
http://www.king5.com/community/blogs/the-pet-dish/Boomer-the-dog-found-Oso-slide-253832561.html
12 days and found alive. Go Boomer.

***There was a glimmer of light at the site of the Oso slide on Thursday. Nearly two weeks after the devastating landslide that killed dozens of people, a dog made his way through the debris field and was found.

The Golden Retriever named Boomer had cuts on his legs and has some hip problems but other than that he is doing well at a local veterinary clinic.

His owners did not survive the slide[url] [:/][:/]