akarunway

Is the glory and the money worth it?

oldwomanc6

It's very sad. They've been climbing and dying for as long as there have been "recreational"/explorers, in all areas of the world, but no one has ever known any of their names. :(

The people who have met and lived with them and struggled to take every step in their world know their names and that is what matters most. They have been an integral part of the lives of those who wish to reach the top of the world.

They have been an integral part of the lives of those who wish to reach the top of the world.

More than integral.....I'd call it 'deal-breaking". I can't recall reading about a single successful summit without the Sherpas present.

And I remember the name Tenzig Norgay from way back in grade school.....second man to summit Everest behind Hillary. (or third, if you believe Mallory beat them both).

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

No: put life at risk to be miserable just to say I got to the top.

Left over monkey shit.

Joe Rogan has a good part in his stand up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URNrr4ISTHg

Skydiving is dangerous but fun, fun i understand but to be in misery just so you can feel special is retarded to me.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Darius11

No: put life at risk to be miserable just to say I got to the top.

Left over monkey shit.

Skydiving is dangerous but fun, fun i understand but to be in misery just so you can feel special is retarded to me.

Others would think we as skydivers do it to feel special.

Climbers in the top echelons do it for many reasons.. but for most I have known it is about challenging oneself and to literally reach the ultimate pinnacle of the sport.

Amazon

***No: put life at risk to be miserable just to say I got to the top.

Left over monkey shit.

Others would think we as skydivers do it to feel special.

Climbers in the top echelons do it for many reasons.. but for most I have known it is about challenging oneself and to literally reach the ultimate pinnacle of the sport.

Just not my thing i guess. I understand jumping because its fun to me..
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I have climbed a bit. About 19,000 feet a few times, and 17,700 a bunch of times, and a lot of rock climbing, and enjoyed the achievement. It is very worth it. I am not impressed by this loser's attitude.

I don't know who Joe Rogan is, but obviously will do all I can to avoid his act. I don't take advice from dope smokers, nor do I knowingly jump with them.

dpreguy

I have climbed a bit. About 19,000 feet a few times, and 17,700 a bunch of times, and a lot of rock climbing, and enjoyed the achievement. It is very worth it. I am not impressed by this loser's attitude.

I don't know who Joe Rogan is, but obviously will do all I can to avoid his act. I don't take advice from dope smokers, nor do I knowingly jump with them.

It is hard to explain to people who have not stood on rock or ice at 15000+' and surveyed the planet below while feeling your heart pound trying to keep you alive.

dpreguy

IIRC Joe's a former UFC/MMA fighter and the host of the TV series Fear Factor. That's all I know
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

JohnMitchell

It is hard to explain to people who have not stood on rock or ice at 15000+' and surveyed the planet below while feeling your heart pound trying to keep you alive.

And you know what, girl?

I ain't never gonna know. :D

Or try to sleep in a snow cave at 16500' head pounding, while outside its 30 below zero with a wind chill factor of WTF....

That is why you do that shit when you are young.. and indestructible. :)

Amazon

And you know what, girl?

Or try to sleep in a snow cave at 16500' head pounding, while outside its 30 below zero with a wind chill factor of WTF....

Damn girl, you're amazing. I really hope I get to meet you in person one day. B|
Always be kinder than you feel.

LuckyMcSwervy

And you know what, girl?

Damn girl, you're amazing. I really hope I get to meet you in person one day. B|

You sure about that? She packs a mean spanking hug. :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

And you know what, girl?

I always needs a hug so I'm sure. :)

LuckyMcSwervy

And you know what, girl?

You won't get just a hug. ;)

BillyVance

And you know what, girl?

I'm ok with that. :)

LuckyMcSwervy

And you know what, girl?

I'm ok with that. :)
As long as you don't have osteoporosis, you'll be fine. :D

Back to the subject, I heard the Sherpas are cancelling this summer's climbs. I heard an interview with an American climber at base camp there who said they lost 5 sherpas from their group. He said all the climbers he spoke with are in agreement with the Sherpas, to cancel this season.

JohnMitchell

Back to the subject, I heard the Sherpas are cancelling this summer's climbs. I heard an interview with an American climber at base camp there who said they lost 5 sherpas from their group. He said all the climbers he spoke with are in agreement with the Sherpas, to cancel this season.

That is harsh.. but $400 for the surviving family... wow.. the Nepal government needs to step up.. they charge huge fees for climbers. The Sherpas get very little of that and they do all the work. There is not a lot of opportunity to do much else...

The people who have trained for years to reach this moment in time.. with all the expense.. all the gear.. in condition that it takes to be where they are. I am thinking some of the people will step up and take care of the families. Or.. at least I hope so.[:/]