DanG

Austin, TX Recommendations?

My wife and I are going to be spending a few days in Austin, TX starting tomorrow. We're going for the Moontower Comedy Festival.

Any ideas for cool stuff to do during the day, or good restaurants? BTW, we're vegetarian, so only twig and bark restaurants, please.

- Dan G

DanG

My wife and I are going to be spending a few days in Austin, TX starting tomorrow. We're going for the Moontower Comedy Festival.

Any ideas for cool stuff to do during the day, or good restaurants? BTW, we're vegetarian, so only twig and bark restaurants, please.

Well, I did before you said you were vegetarian. Try Umami Mia, if you aren't vegan. It's a pizza place. It's on the way into the Nature and Science center, which is pretty neat.

Mt Bonnell on the west side of town is a "hill" on the west side of town but which gives you a great view of the city... The Oasis is a really well known restaurant on Lake Travis (food is decent - not great) but the view is spectacular. Everyone there applauds the sunset over the lake its so pretty :-)

The Bob Bullock Museum on UT campus is pretty cool - and it has an IMAX theatre as well. The tour of the state capitol isn't bad either.. 6th street is the bar section of town - it can be fun to people watch there at night. There are lots of good brewpubs as well if you google them.

Oh and definitely visit an Amys Ice Cream while you are here - they rock!

BillyVance

Vegetarians visiting the land of the longhorns? Shirley you jest! :P

;)

Austin is the hippie-oasis of Texas :P, so there are plenty of vegetarian restaurants there. Mother's Café is my favorite (though I'm not familiar with many of the newer ones). It's been there for over 30 years, and they have really good food.

If you're still there, you should go see Esther's Follies on sixth street. It's a riot

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)