skyjames

Private pilot bails

pcramil

Makes sense. Aerobatic pilots usually wear bailout rigs, even though technically they don't have to.

A lot of the pilots that I know who do acro believe they have to wear the rig... I don't argue the point with them.

Of course, they don't believe that it has to be legal unless they're going to get ramped. :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I wonder what went wrong that he thought it was better to bail out than to try to put it down on the highway/shoulder.

They keep emphasizing how severe the crash was, yeah duh, aircraft don't tend to land well sans pilot input!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

pcramil

Makes sense. Aerobatic pilots usually wear bailout rigs, even though technically they don't have to.

My brother's friend made me put on a bailout rig before he'd take me up in his Extra 300L. Told me if something happens, the glass canopy opens or whatever, look back. If he's not in his seat, get out and jump.

Considering we were flying around over Monterey Bay, CA I didn't like that option. Thankfully I didn't have to bail. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

pcramil

My brother's friend made me put on a bailout rig before he'd take me up in his Extra 300L. Told me if something happens, the glass canopy opens or whatever, look back. If he's not in his seat, get out and jump.

Considering we were flying around over Monterey Bay, CA I didn't like that option. Thankfully I didn't have to bail. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

pcramil

Since when?

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/magazine/2002/July/200207_Departments_Legal_Briefing.html

Parachutes are required for aerobatics. There are exceptions for flight instruction required for certifications (like spin training for CFIs), but if you're doing intentional aerobatics, you and everyone in the plane should be wearing a parachute. This includes anything with a bank angle greater than 60 degrees or pitch angle greater than 30 degrees off the horizon.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

DougH

I wonder what went wrong that he thought it was better to bail out than to try to put it down on the highway/shoulder

A guy I know was doing a low pass in a aerobatic biplane. As he pulled out, the elevator linkage broke and he lost pitch control. He undid the harness, stood up and deployed the canopy right out of the cockpit at 300'. Plane went in, of course. So . . . $hit happens.:S

They keep emphasizing how severe the crash was, yeah duh, aircraft don't tend to land well sans pilot input!

And how the pilot was "lucky" to get out. I don't know how hard or easy it was for him to get out. But, are we "lucky" every time we use our reserves? Or just well practiced?;)

There was a catastrophic failure of some sort in the front of the airplane that sent parts through the canopy, wings, and tail. Control inputs were unresponsive and it quickly became evident that a landing would not be possible. Egress was successful and our Strong parachute deployed quickly and comfortably.

I hate it when that happens.:|

Source: http://www.danmarcotteairshows.com/?p=482
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

BillyVance

***Makes sense. Aerobatic pilots usually wear bailout rigs, even though technically they don't have to.

I flew aerobatics in an Extra 300 once. The guy told me that nobody has ever had to bail from one before. I wasn't totally against the idea of something going wrong.

I work with a guy that does aerobatics. I suggested he do a Cat A so he would at least know what it would be like to be under a canopy.

He said no fucking way would he waste the money.

If he had to use his PEP, it would be a VERY expensive jump. No need to shell out cash before he had to.B|:D

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Okay, so what manufacturer gets credit for the save. Only photo on his website that shows his parachute. I'm thinking its a strong based on laterals, back pad and adjustable harness.

Opinions?
missed that the rig was identified above.

Also some rigger gets a pilot save, not to common.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Pilot made a good save.

In another life I was owned a Citabria. Two seat aerobatic trainer. We had parachutes that stayed in the hangar most of the time. If I was doing a blatant acro ride with someone we would wear them, but mostly that 20lbs would put us above max gross with a full tank going XC, so it was a lazy roll or nothing.

THEN. During the annual inspection the mechanic charged me $300 for the pull-pull elevator linkage replacement. When he showed me the reason, I included a panel removal and inspection every other flight.
The 7x19 where it runs under the aft seat and through a pulley had frayed down to about 20% of the cable.

I had practiced trim-only landings for the fun of it with marginal success. It was a real possibility. (the trim system is a separate cable friction lever actuating a pull-pull trim tab)

Terrifying stuff.

Mach1dmb

******Makes sense. Aerobatic pilots usually wear bailout rigs, even though technically they don't have to.

I flew aerobatics in an Extra 300 once. The guy told me that nobody has ever had to bail from one before. I wasn't totally against the idea of something going wrong.

We have sold dozens ... nay ... hundreds of emergency parachutes to Extra pilots.

"The Canadian Air Regulations are even vaguer than the American Federal Air Regulations, so we follow International Aerobatic Council guidelines." said Donn Richardson, a retired Transport Canada pilot inspector who still enjoys competing in his Christen Eagle aerobatic biplane.

Similarly, the North American Trainer Association publishes much stricter (than FARs) standards for their Formation and Safety Training seminars. If you show up at a FAST training camp, bring your (hard-shell) helmet, Nomex flying suit and parachute. "I will never fly in another man's airplane without a chute." said long-time aerobatic and T-28D pilot Peter Hertzig.

If you want to fly aerobatics or formations with the big boys, you have to wear a parachute.